Another salon using my business name!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are 6 Diva's in a 30 mile radius of me, there may be more thats just the one's i know of.

With both my Businesses I have registered both Names with the National Business Register. This actually protects the name and any abuse towards it. I actually have had a recent thing going on where a ex Stylist of mine decided to go Mobile and in the process starting placing adds up everywhere using my Salons Name. That seriously pissed me off but after talking to the NBR they advised that she was not allowed to do that as she had not recieved permission to use the name in any context. They advised me to warn her of pending legal action and also to take the adds down and destroy them, which I did with pleasure.

I seriously feel for the original poster as it seems a very ****ty thing to do. Some people really take the pi55 at times and usually its meant. Good look with it!

Hi
I agree with Colin, I think his advice is sound.
However, I do not think that you can register Diva as it is a term generally used as a description and not unique to you in any way. You could possably register "Diva Tanning" as this is specific. It will cost you £100 to submit your application, with no guarantee of sucess or refund. An example of this is a product that we import, we could not register "PFB Vanish" because "PFB" is a medical term that is widely used. We the tried to register the logo which was denied for the same reason. This cost us £200 for these applications with no result. There is however some protection in law for prior and pre existing use..this however would require solicitors and lots of money as stated previously.
We recently had a dispute with another company using our company name and registered trade mark in adverts, despite it being nothing to do with their trading name and having the registration was invaluable stopping this.
Companies, when starting out, should select a unique name and register it immediatly to prevent others passing off and stealing your businesses goodwill

What a rotton thing to do!! I would tell as many customers and people as i could and get their salon a bad name.No one would go in there and they would have to close ha ha ha!!! xxx

Come on folks ... Divas is hardly an original name now is it? Agreed it is too close and not a nice thing to do but ... I can think of several Divas right here in my area in Spain!

If you want to be original be original and protect yourself by making the name yours ... there are probably many who think you took the name from them!! :green:

When I started in business we must have had at least 25 customers called Fingertips!!

Oh dear oh dear! This has just happened me this week. I moved from my home salon to a place in town (one room with reception area) 8 weeks ago. My business is called "The Treatment Room: Beauty & Holistic Therapies".

A beautician has opened in the same district last week, about a 2 - 3 minute walk away - she has called herself "The Beauty Treatment Room". I wouldn't mind so much but her flyers, etc have spaced out the name so it looks like she's called "The Treatment Room".:irked:

Initially I was shocked and thought how could someone do such a rotten thing. I mean there is alot of beauty and holistic therapists in this town - I chose my name very carefully so as not to offend any of them & not trade as a name remotely similar.

But today I have calmly accepted there isn't much I can do about it. I am a professional and not prepared to get into a "tit for tat" conversation as suggested by one of my friends!!

So, I am sitting here today, remaining postive, with my thinking cap firmly fixed, trying to think of strategies to up my game (as economical as possible)!! :)

Glad to get that off my chest (I work on my own)....so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and accepted....thank you so much *thinks happy thoughts* LOL

I wouldnt let it get me down especially as you have been trading for 2yrs and are firmly fixed in your local town, I do like Original Diva and although I wouldnt change the name above the door I would use it for any new marketing 'original and still the best' I'm Airbrushed and if someone did that I'd be the first in the paper holding all my certs smiling proudly with some editorial about how great me n my salon is!!
Good luck m8ty :hug:

Latest posts

Back