Answering or not answering with-held or private numbers ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minky

Reaction score
Hi , just to be clear I am talking about my personal home phone , I understand it's different for business calls

but I just wanted to know if anyone else gets bugged by private or
withheld numbers calling you on your home phone ?

here's my story .... on my home phone I always like to know who it is before I pick the phone up , this is why I have caller display ,
I also have a facility where people can leave a message if they want me to get back to them ,
so therefore I never answer any withheld calls and all my friends and family know this,

but for the last month or so I have been getting up the phone ringing morning noon and night , to someone who's number is always withheld :irked:and they will never ever leave a ruddy message ,
now I wonder why people would want to do this ?

I can understand people wanting to withhold their number,
but I think its very rude to withhold a number and then not leave any message as to who it was ?

The problem is I find myself getting up or dashing to the phone nearly three times a day to an unwanted withheld number
Grrr its starting to really bug me now , :irked:
I just wanted to ask about other peoples views on withheld numbers ?

Answer it once :D

For some time now large companies have been using automated dialling systems, these systems recognise if it is a reall peron answering the phone then route the call to a member of staff. It it is an answerphone the call will automatically terminate.
Companies use these for marketing, sales and debt collection calls.

The other issue with companies such as banks leaving messages on answerphones is Data protection, as they have no idea who has access to the messages.

It's all in all a right pain in the rear!!!

Lou xx

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

There is a service called the Telephone Preference Service where you can opt out of receiving marketing calls

TPS Registration

Thanks for that Zozo, Ive just registered , I keep getting someone phone up about doing a survey,when I told him I was busy,he asked when was a good time to call back.I said.. NEVER..lol

what I dont understand is why they never leave a message ...........................why ?

minky i get this also and more then likely it is a sales calls i got calller display after getting fed up of calls
i got one this morning ( not witheld) 8.15am :( i dont think they will be calling back i gave them a right earful lol

Thank you for all those answers , probably is just company's automatically ringing,
there is some really useful tips , so I will get busy on Zo Zos tip on Monday , Bellaslashes I had to laugh at the answer it once suggestion lol :lol: I have totally been resisting this for weeks on end and its like a battle of wills, shall I shouldn't I ?

If I picked up .... I have been thinking about recording something just to hold down the phone saying repeatedly
"this person does not accept withheld numbers so please don't call again if you cannot leave a message"
do you think this might work ?
or not ?

leonnib I must do something about it though seriously its driving us nuts in the morning too ,
they are so persistent
poor hubby is bad enough with his knees and its an effort for him to get to the phone if I am not around,
plus he doesn't answer those withheld numbers either,

you can actually set it up with your telephone provider to block witheld numbers, give them a call. xx
Posted via Mobile Device

I kept getting calls from India asking about my Gas and Electric, Jason his name was, and some other lady. I said to her why do you want to know, she said it's my business, yeah! I was like er no it's not, and I put the phone down, they rang 3 hours later, we argued again (I do like arguing) put phone down, they rang back etc etc. I was getting calls from them at least 5 times a day. In the end I said to the bloke for my electric I have a generator and I make my own gas, he was very impressed and asked how I did that, I said I fart alot, he put the phone down and I never heard from them since :) LOL

But on a serious note don't tell them anything as, and I don't know how, but they can change your Gas and Electric provider and they charge a hell of a lot more than you are paying now, if you tell them you pay by Direct Debit, they know your name, they don't call you so, but I was shocked when he told me mine when I asked, so tell them nothing x

I say that if someone doesn't leave a message its not important. If they need to get hold of you they will.

Anyway my boyfriend got a call from a sales person trying to sell him a new business mobile package. He managed to fustrate the sales guy no end by saying no to everything. I.e. are you happy with your phone? ... no ... would you be interested to change your phone or network?.... no... can I ask why?... no! lol

In the end I said to the bloke for my electric I have a generator and I make my own gas, he was very impressed and asked how I did that, I said I fart alot, he put the phone down and I never heard from them since :) LOL
PRICELESS . . . . THAT'S SO FUNNY!
I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU COULD EVEN THINK OF A REPLY LIKE THAT!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PRICELESS . . . . THAT'S SO FUNNY!
I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU COULD EVEN THINK OF A REPLY LIKE THAT!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a dry sense of humour :D pretty quick on times lol

I don't think changing your answerphone message would make a difference as they are computer calls.

If the entire call is by computer, if you wait until the end of the call it says to opt out of these calls in future, press 9.

If you are speaking to a real person and instruct them to remove your contact details and never call again, then they legally have to comply.

Do these people ever make any money? Who buys from them?

If i want something i will call you.

I've started to not answer numbers I don't know or that are withheld on my mobile - I just cannot be bothered with the pain in the bumness of it all.

Latest posts

Back