Any tips for French Manicure?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Student Newbie

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm a student currently doing my NVQ2 Beauty Therapy and wondered if anyone has some good tips on how to do the perfect French Manicure?? Is it just a case of practise makes perfect?! :)

Oooh a fellow student *waves*

It is a case of practice when it comes to french manis - a little cheat is to get either a really think nail art brush or a nail striper like Stargazer Nail Art Pen in white, loads neater.....

little tip for getting your whites perfect - paint on your white thinly, then use a eyelash tinting brush dipped in CND nailfresh to neaten your smiles. Works beautifully :wink2:

Thanks guys, i guess one day i will learn what CND nailfresh is!!:lol:

Oh and I don't know about your college nail kit but we got loads of nail art paint pots as part of ours - they're water based so come off with water til you seal them with topcoat.

You could try using them until you're a bit more confident, that way if you make any mistakes, you can just wipe it off with water and start again, without taking off the basecoats of polish you'd put on underneath...

if you cant get you lines right try using tip painting guides this will help you perfect the look

Apply your white before your base coat so that you can easily clean it up with a thin brush and you can use some nail polish remover if you don't have scrubfresh.
Or you could try putting the smile line in with a nail art pen and go over it while practising until you get used to doing it.

I found the stargazer tip quite faffy when I first trained, made it harder in the long run! Find a really good quality polish for a start with a good brush in it. OPI alpine snow is a true white for french, or creative cream puff. I find these easy peasy for frenches. Just keep practising! on anyone!

Most colleges don't allow guides.

if you cant get you lines right try using tip painting guides this will help you perfect the look

Our lecturer said no to guides as we won't be able to use them for assessments, so need to get used to not using them from the beginning.

And we didn't get any nail care paint pots in our kits!!! :cry:

There are so many ways of doing A french Polish .....
Nailzoo, can I ask, how do you do it if there's only a very narrow free edge, like the length of nail that you (not your model) have on your video? That's when I find it difficult and end up getting white all over the client's fingers.

Nailzoo, can I ask, how do you do it if there's only a very narrow free edge, like the length of nail that you (not your model) have on your video? That's when I find it difficult and end up getting white all over the client's fingers.

A corrector pen, scrubfresh, nailfresh ....... imagination

Nailfresh is (IMO) an absolute God-send when learning to do French mani's and/or when doing them on short nails.
It's fab if you need a tidy up when using dark enamel too :o :D

Oh right, thanks. I thought you had some kind of magic trick...:lol:

I found the stargazer tip quite faffy when I first trained, made it harder in the long run! Find a really good quality polish for a start with a good brush in it. OPI alpine snow is a true white for french, or creative cream puff. I find these easy peasy for frenches. Just keep practising! on anyone!

Oh I think it's a godsend for doing shorter nails or nails where people don't want a lot of white. It wasn't the dotting tip bit I used, just the thin, long polish brush.

Oooh I'm in the mood to french mani and pedi myself now :green:

Oooh a fellow student *waves*

It is a case of practice when it comes to french manis - a little cheat is to get either a really think nail art brush or a nail striper like Stargazer Nail Art Pen in white, loads neater.....

with me it's not a case of practice makes perfect.
I do it as best i can in assesments but take a look at

french tip dip on google...n watch the video.

I've seen this french tip dip before ,was wondering if it works well and if it does well on most shapes and lenghts of nails

Last edited:
:) Nailzoo, thats how i aways do my french Didn't know about the nail brush and scrub fresh trick when I started doing nails year ago. Glad I'm not alone. Now I see they teach to sweep from one side to center then other side to center then down the middle. I think thats what my new cosmatology & nail book show.

Dunno about your college, but my college won't let you use ANY products or tools that didn't come in your kit, and the polishes in the kit are PANTS!

I guess at least once you've passed with the rubbish we got, you can french polish with ANYTHING!!!

Latest posts

Back