Any treatment for psoriasis on nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waxcetera

Reaction score
I've a friend, who doesn't live anywhere near me, whos' messaged me to ask some advice.

I've advised her to seek treatment with a dermatologist but she wants to try and condition them herself too.

She's not after any kind of enhancement or polish etc, although if she did want to polish herself, would CND's ridge filler be best?

They are not crumbling but 6 of them have started to lift away from the nail bed, they are also very thick.

They are lifting from the free edge back towards the cuticle mainly on the sides.

Is there any conditioning treatment she can do herself, whilst waiting for a determatologist referral or instead of?
She's sure its psoriasis as shes suffered with it for 20 years but it looks like it could be onycholysis or onychoptosis?

suzannenail.jpg

thanks x

Last edited:
Hi,

Is the nail bed thickening and flakey under the free edge? Sorry cant see pic too well x

Hi,

Is the nail bed thickening and flakey under the free edge? Sorry cant see pic too well x
Hi, I've asked her and she said Yes on the effected nails. Thanks

My brother has this on his skin after many years of creams and lotions to this day only sunlight or uv light gets rid of it.my friend also has this under her nails I done gel nails on her and one of them has clearered up whether or not this is because of th uv lamp we don't know

Xx

I've been thinking, she's a soap maker as I used to be but on a much larger scale. Could it be all the moisture/steam causing this? She's assuming its the psoriasis because she has it a lot elsewhere on her body.

It is usually triggered by stress.I'm not sure if the moister would make a difference but it may have something to do with it

Xx

Onycholisis is a classic with psoriasis sufferers keeping the affected nails short and well moisturised with cuticle oil and free from enhancements and polish seems to be the best bet in my experience x

It looks like a really bad fungal infection which is quite rare on finger nails always mostly bacterial. I would suggest she sees her gp and he can obtain a clipping for testing.

Google Psoriasis in nails and you will see lots and lots of images just like and worse the ones above but get GP to check it out

Latest posts

Back