Anyone been to an Osteopath??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoney

Reaction score
I've got an appointment to see one today, due to a very very sore back. I was at the doctors on Wednesday and he reckons I've pulled a muscle, but I'm not so sure.

Apparantly this guy is amazing but I'm a little apprehensive. Has anyone been to an Osteopath, what do they do exactly?:eek:

Hi there, my Mum has been to one very recently to sort out a trapped muscle in her lower back / leg. She is describing it to me as stretching (them doing it, not you) with quite a lot of pressure and kneading. It lasts about 30mins and afterwards she felt quite tender and very warm - from the increased blood flow. She has had 2 sessions and is due for a 3rd this week. She says it is definitely helping her mobility / pain etc. Oh, she's also been given some exercises to carry out at home. HTH Linds x

My Dad saw one for years for his bad back. Then in the last few years my Mum has been seeing one too- he is jolly marvellous. She fell down the stairs a couple of years ago, and was in agony for two weeks til she saw him...immediately she had increased mobility and far less pain. He does all sorts of stuff though, including accupuncture when nec, depending on situation. So she swears by them!

I go every 6-8 weeks as I have problems with my lower back. He cracks me and stretches me into place & I am fine for the next 2 months.

If I don't go, then I get trapped nerves (syatika??) and end up walking funny.

I went earlier this year for a dodgy shoulder/elbow/wrist, seems my job is the problem :irked:, anyway, fabulous, thoroughly recommend it to anyone suffering unnecessarily.

It's a bizarre sensation when they manipulate (crack) a joint back in to place but the feeling of relief outweighs the shock. I laughed hysterically the first time she did my back which is common, apparantly you either cry or laugh. It took me a good 5 minutes to get myself under control again.

Like PinkLinds says they should create lots of heat on the area with massage, and she might feel a bit tender for a few days after but it's so worth it.

I went a few years ago for a bad back.

Never ever again - it just got worse and worse. After 4 visits and lots of manipulation I went to my doctor who told me my back was 'in spasm' it took 3 days of Diazepan and bed rest and 4 weeks bolt upright in a chair to sort it out.

I may have been unlucky (though she was highly recommended) I have to say it really put me off:cry:

Never ever again - it just got worse and worse. After 4 visits and lots of manipulation I went to my doctor who told me my back was 'in spasm' it took 3 days of Diazepan and bed rest and 4 weeks bolt upright in a chair to sort it out.

I may have been unlucky (though she was highly recommended) I have to say it really put me off:cry:

In all honesty I don't necessarily think it is for everyone. Maybe it depends on the person, or the problem, not sure.

i went to one when i was just 15 with lower back problems and they did the same thing to me,i was in so much pain when i came out that i was crying and i really struggled to get in the car.
ive never been back since but i actuallt think that my back problem is too serious for them to be able to help me.
so im sure that for a pulled muscle etc... then it would possibly help.

OMG he was fantastic!! Don't know what I was worried about. Mind you if I had done my research I probably wouldn't have been so apprehensive. I hadn't realised that it is an actual medical practice, I thought it was a complimentary therapy! How stupid am I??? (Don't answer that).

Isn't it amazing what they can do! My mobility has increased loads today, I'm abit tender but then I was anyway!

Thanks for your replies guys.

That's good news, glad you've improved already :) x

That's fab news :D So glad it helped, and hope you continue to improve :)

Glad it's helped. I used to go to one and I actually felt about 6 inches taller when I came out as my spine was so much straighter. xx

Latest posts

Back