Anyone else fed up trying to retail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkthistle

Reaction score
We've never been big on retail to be honest, but I stock some OPI (which clients can get in TK Maxx), Dermalogica (eBay full of it) Vinylux...sold a couple, and bits an pieces like nail files etc. My town has loads of pound shops and I'm always heating things like " I got a polish just like that for £1" I know it's not the same quality etc but I'm really considering not bothering with retail and using the space for something more useful....like storage or extra seating. Thoughts anyone?

A lot of salons sell other thing trinkets rings necklaces etc I saw some nice flip flops in a salon the other day which I thought was a really neat idea lol i don't do much retail as I have a home salon but I think I should really it's only asking a question lol xxx

It all depends on how you are selling these items to your clients ;) retail does not sell itself.

Have you had any sales training ? If not I would highly recommend it , retail is a vital part of salon income in my opinion.

Many people do not like selling as they as they feel there clients spend enough money with them and they are embarrassed or feel awkward selling to them. But it is important to remember that selling is a vital part to any service. For a client to get the most out of their treatment it is vital that they follow aftercare advice and if they are not able to purchase this from you they will have to go looking elsewhere and may not buy suitable products etc thus there service will not be as good as it would with you aftercare retail products.

Buying retail also build client loyalty in my opinion , clients who were having services elsewhere for instance shellac and then came to me for the same service are impressed with my knowledge of the natural nail and recommendations of solar oil and almond hydrating lotions , when purchased and used correctly they can see the benefits and many are miffed that their previous tech did not tell them the benefits of these products

I am never ever pushy in sales , I ask the right questions find out their concerns are and provide solutions to their concerns , it shouldn't read as pushy sales it should read I want to help you achieve your goals as this is what you need to achieve it :)

Hope that helps :)

I must admit retail is a very strong point for myself with Dermalogica and Jane Iredale think it's good to have a good quality branded product that you can sell along side your treatments eg face mapping or jane Iredale makeup consultations , try an event and also try to get help advice from your reps x

I can't comment on the nail side but retailing is huge. You can only work so many hours of the day and need to bring in income without taking up too much time.

I go back to the dentist line... We are like dentist we can do the major fixes and polishes but you still need to brush your teeth.

We sell them the toothbrush and tooth paste and the mouth rinse. How about some floss? Oh what about a travel set for work? Just because you aren't home can't slack off.

And off we go!

Never been big on retail in the salon...nearly 20 years.

We had a great December but January was looking a bit low on takings. On the second to last Friday in Jan we had a skin event and took over £1800 in one day. We are a tiny salon. 2 treatment rooms and a reception/nail area. The takings included treatments but the bulk was retail. We ended up taking more in Jan than in Dec simply because of retail. We are extremely well trained in our products and we believe in them 100% so I never feel I'm retailing, I'm informing. When people tell me their skin is bad I tell then what my products will do for them. It also helps that we have superb support from our suppliers with complimentary skin events which totally back up our products. If you're not retailing you are missing out on literally money for nothing!

Vicki x

Squidgernetball - Can I ask what skin care brand you retail? As I'm still looking for a new skin care brand and very importantly want to be able to retail it, and ensure that it sells well x

Not a problem. We sell/use Environ, BUT it sells because we totally love it, and have learnt huge amounts about it. You really need to do your research as to what would work for you, the message you want to send - high tech/natural etc. I retailed Thalgo for many years and although it was a prestigious brand, I never really retailed it at all!

Lots of geeks have great success with different brands, so before an expensive out lay like skincare is, I would really look at your client base and what you think they would spend. My client base is ladies who lunch, high disposable income, and want great results but are totally not interested in Botox!

Vicki x

Vicki. Do you do ANP as well? I did my training today.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Vicki. Do you do ANP as well? I did my training today.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I do - the whole shebang! We sell nothing like we do with JI and Environ, but it is a great support with stubborn skin conditions!

Vic x

I'm Dermalogica..and to be honest I'll be getting rid I think. I do love it but I can't put my facial prices up as often as they do the products!

Are there any retailing courses anyone could recommend? It's something I really need to pick up this year! Xx

Latest posts

Back