Anyone ever damaged their coccyx?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsadie

Reaction score
I think I have :cry: or at least really bruised it. I was sitting in one of our steamer chairs yesterday in the rare late afternoon sunshine and the chair decided it wasn't going to take anyone's weight anymore, the webbing snapped and I fell through onto my bum.

OMG I've never felt such pain in my life, even childbirth pain didn't last this long!

Has anyone got any remedies to help me get it better? I've been taking a 1000mg co-codamol every 4 hours (not through the night) since. It hurts when I go to sit down or stand up, and the only relief I get is if I go and rest on the toilet.

To top it all, I have my CND Foundation course tomorrow with Denise Holland in Crawley, just over an hour on the train, then sitting at a nail station for 3 days :eek:

I think I'll have to go to Asda (got to get my passport photo anyway - how I'll get in and out of the car I don't know!) and get a rubber ring and suffer the stares :green:

Any ideas on how to reduce this pain are very welcome and appreciated :hug:

I'd go to the hospital and get them t look at it hun! You could have broken it. They'll be able to give you the best advice too on how to control the pain. I think the rubber ring is probably a good idea, or one of those cushions with the tailbone cut out. I think you can buy them in some chemists who sell equipment for people with disabilities.

I hope you get some relief soon xxxx

it's quite painful and I feel for you, my mother did hers in when she got a really good kick while playing soccer, she sat in a rubber ring for quite some time.

I cut mine while spinning on my bum in a mirrored G-string (thong), but that's a long story. Again, I sat in a rubber ring for quite some time.

The best thing is .....IT WILL GET BETTER, but it's an odd grinding pain thats difficult to describe ..... GOOD LUCK

Thanks guys, I will get a ring thing, I'll check out the chemist and see what they have.

Carl, a mirrored G-string?????:green:

That made me smile :)

xx

oh yeh, I fell over when pregnant with my son, and moved it out of alignment a hair width, 12 years later it is still giving me gyp. I have to have it put back into place........that is sooooo not nice, last time I nearly blacked out, think that is why Im scared of getting it fixed again. But defo get yourself to the hospital to have it xrayed.

I know I should get myself off to the hospital but :irked: (scared to tell the truth)

I think I'll see how I go as I'm not foregoing my course, I've waited long enough and saved so hard!

I've rung a few of the chemists that are open today and none of them have a ring thing :rolleyes: typical, and even Asda don't have a kiddies one!

Thanks for the help, stories and advice. I'll go and take some more co-codamol and lay on my front for a while.

xx

try argos hun xx

Try a cushion for each cheek so that the area isn't touching anything HTH

Please pop yourself down to A&E to get checked over if you are in that much discomfort. If nothing else they should be able to give you some decent painkillers to see you through the next few days. Hope you are feeling much better very soon :hug:

Deffo go to the hospital just to be sure nothing *major* is wrong or broken, but look at the bright side: It seems to be a pretty common injury that, based on what others have said, just needs time to heal. Hope you're not in too much pain in Crawley! :hug:

Have you tried Boots hun, the chemist not to wear lol..But I agree with going to get it checked out, I have done this and it aint nice I know, and isnt a quick thing to heal. So dont leave it. Good luck on your course BTW..XXX

Fractured my coccyx several years ago when I slipped on some wet steps leading to the underground. Everything went black before my eyes!

Extremely painful and I am convinced is the reason I suffered Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction with my second pregnancy.

Rubber ring may help and take lots of anagesia eg. Cocodamol and Neurofen (over the counter) provided you have no contraindications to these medications. Don't worry about people staring. Smile and briefly say you have fractured your coccyx and you will probably find them supportive and helpful. Good luck :hug: x

Aw, thank you so much for all your replies :)

It does seem a fraction better now, I can sit for a little while with discomfort, not pain and I can lay on the floor with the same. My only problem atm is actually getting into those positions! I had to go and get my passport photo done to take with me tomorrow as I hadn't got it yet and you should've seen me trying to get in and out of the car, I looked like my 88 year old nan!

I think I will keep taking the painkillers (I'll get my husband to get me some nurofen to go with the co-codamol). I'll go to the hospital if it gets worse, but apart from giving me horse tablets that'd probably knock me over (I need to be able to concentrate over the next 3 days!) and advise me to sit on a rubber ring, I don't think there's a lot they can do.

Thanks again you lovely geeks :hug:

Unfortunately I've broken it twice. Once going down a slide with Rach on my knee when she was a baby and some kids had been throwing sand on to go faster. And another time when I fell down the stairs. Neither time the hospital said there was anything they could do but gave me some really strong painkillers called Tramadol. They are good but make you a little sleepy. Your GP can prescribe them for you.
A hot water bottle or wheat bag helps.

I injured mine when I misjudged where I was meant to be sitting and sat on the corner of my bedside table!!!

It was really painful!!! I remember blackness too!!!

I worked in a nightclub in London at the time and for a few days I couldn't sit down ( my boss came in and accused me of sitting behind the bar because someone had put a chair there. Luckily I proved to him I couldn't sit down)

But after a while it was ok sitting and standing up but getting into these positions was painful this lasted a few weeks My mum had to pull me up off the settee!!!!
Good luck
hope you feel better soon hun

I injured mine when I misjudged where I was meant to be sitting and sat on the corner of my bedside table!!!

It was really painful!!! I remember blackness too!!!

I worked in a nightclub in London at the time and for a few days I couldn't sit down ( my boss came in and accused me of sitting behind the bar because someone had put a chair there. Luckily I proved to him I couldn't sit down)

But after a while it was ok sitting and standing up but getting into these positions was painful this lasted a few weeks My mum had to pull me up off the settee!!!!
Good luck
hope you feel better soon hun

Thank you :hug:

I'm like this atm too. Sitting on it's own and standing on it's own is 'ok' but like you just said, actually being able to get into these positions in the first place is agony!

I think the co-codamol & nurofen combination is starting to take effect now though as I've been taking them regularly for 24 hours, because apart from what I just said, I have a dull ache.

xx

The last time I broke a nail was "bouncing" down 14 steps on my backside, hollering with each 'thump'.
Yup, broke my heiney.

Hurt like @#$%^&*( H**L!:cry:

Was on painkillers for a while. Sat on a donut for 18mths.
My family friend that's an xray technician answered this to my question of bothering with xrays.

"They'll embarass you by making you drop your drawers, take a picture of your butt in a cold room. THEN they'll tell you that you have a cute arse, yes it's broken but there's nothing they can do for it"
:eek::lol:

So I never went and it eventually healed.
For a while, I hated being in a car when on a pot-hole filled road haha

BUT I have heard that if after 24mths there is still discomfort, you go in and they break your butt again with the hopes it'll heal properly the second time.
I LUCKILY healed at about 18mths:lol:

It was a big joke about here that I had "broken my ass".
I couldn't sit on the loo for 3 days (or sit at all for that matter), darn good thing the codeine was blocking me up
ROFL
(sorry, tmi? haha)

The last time I broke a nail was "bouncing" down 14 steps on my backside, hollering with each 'thump'.
Yup, broke my heiney.

Hurt like @#$%^&*( H**L!:cry:

Was on painkillers for a while. Sat on a donut for 18mths.
My family friend that's an xray technician answered this to my question of bothering with xrays.

"They'll embarass you by making you drop your drawers, take a picture of your butt in a cold room. THEN they'll tell you that you have a cute arse, yes it's broken but there's nothing they can do for it"
:eek::lol:

So I never went and it eventually healed.
For a while, I hated being in a car when on a pot-hole filled road haha

BUT I have heard that if after 24mths there is still discomfort, you go in and they break your butt again with the hopes it'll heal properly the second time.
I LUCKILY healed at about 18mths:lol:

It was a big joke about here that I had "broken my ass".
I couldn't sit on the loo for 3 days (or sit at all for that matter), darn good thing the codeine was blocking me up
ROFL
(sorry, tmi? haha)

Aw, all of you who have hurt your butts, I really feel your pain!!!! Still trying to get my head around Carl's mirrored thong :eek:

The only place I do find any relief at all is when I'm sitting on the loo, and I go to the bathroom JUST to sit on it because it doesn't hurt!

Although as you say above hun, I've not been since yesterday, at this rate I'll be a round, bloated ball who can't sit down, lol! And I'm not going to be able to get my tunic to do up for the next three days!

xx

hiya i agree with the rest of the others who say go straight to the hospital and get your coccyx checked out before you get any worse, i know you said your scared but my dad worked for a bakery firm years ago but had to finish early as he fell off the back of the lorry he drove as he pulled the shutters down and landed straight onto his coccyx he had to drive home in pain, he went to the hospital to get it checked out but is now walking with his back bent to the left and is on a walking stick he collapsed at home and ended up having an emergency operation, i know you might not want to hear that but it would make me happy knowing you got checked out and hoping you dont suffer any more pain than you have to, as i wouldnt wish that on anyone look after yourself hun.

Latest posts

Back