Anyone know anything about the Australian market?!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluffystuff

Reaction score
Hi everyone? I was juts wandering whether anyone knew anything about the Beauty industry in Oz? Are they as up to date/more advanced than us? What kind of treatments they offer as in-is the demand for the more extreme as close to surgery but without the knife, kind of treatments are as big as over here?I know its a bit of a random post but hey ho!Im hoping someone will know!x

Well as far as I know they are behind in terms of professional nails.
What I mean is that they do not seem to have anything other than nss and nail techinicians are very much needed.
My other half wants to move over there so I could be needed :)
hth
xx

What I mean is that they do not seem to have anything other than nss and nail techinicians are very much needed.
hth
xx
:) I know a couple of Aussies that might be insulted.:lol:
I think that they are on par with the UK but have less access to some of the things like education, depending on where you are in the country. NSS are rife no matter where you go.

hth
xx

:) I know a couple of Aussies that might be insulted.:lol:
I think that they are on par with the UK but have less access to some of the things like education, depending on where you are in the country. NSS are rife no matter where you go.

I couldn't agree with grafxgal more.

First of all there is NOT only NSS and I really wouldn't say nail technicians are very much needed.

Education is a very big issue. I'm someone that believes vey strongly in education, but it's just not available to me. Being such a big country, everything is just so far away if you don't live in one of the major cities. For me to do any kind of further education I usually have to travel to Sydney, because flights (which I still have to travel for) are at rediculous times that don't get you there early enough or leave late enough I need to allow 2 extra days just for travel. So basically I need to take a week off to do anything.

OK rant over.

Hi everyone? I was juts wandering whether anyone knew anything about the Beauty industry in Oz? Are they as up to date/more advanced than us? What kind of treatments they offer as in-is the demand for the more extreme as close to surgery but without the knife, kind of treatments are as big as over here?I know its a bit of a random post but hey ho!Im hoping someone will know!x

I think the industry here is very varied. I'm in the country so things are a bit different here to larger places.

In my town there are 3 main salons ( and of course some other home salons etc that you don't hear much about).
1. Is a holistic salon that offers more traditionally eastern treatments.
2. Offers cosmesceutical skin treatments, IPL, micodermabrasion etc.
3. Has been operating for 20+ years and is still pretty much doing the same stuff as when they started.

More extreme treatments are available without travelling too far, but that's my take on what is available to me locally.

hth
xx

Hmmmm, not true. Yes there are NSS salons but no more than what I would say would be usual for where you are. Most beauty salons that I know of in the local area have a nail tech on staff.

The biggest problem here is distance. All major cities offer training but it's getting there that is the problem.

For my beauty therapist, I have to travel 40 mins each way to get there. Whereas my old nail tech, lives 3 houses away. I don't have nails anymore because of massage.

Mmmm don't know whether to laugh at the assumptions or be insulted:irked: Why in this day and age of global communication would people assume that we are "behind"?Distance maybe an issue for us but it doesn't stop us from seeking and learning new techniques or knowing what he current trends are. We are the same as most countries we have our share of nss type places right up to high end dayspas and cosmesceutical based salons. The need for different types of salons depends on the demographics of the area as it would in any country. Maybe if you were abit more specific about what you needed your question could be answered more efficiently.

Mmmm don't know whether to laugh at the assumptions or be insulted:irked: Why in this day and age of global communication would people assume that we are "behind"?Distance maybe an issue for us but it doesn't stop us from seeking and learning new techniques or knowing what he current trends are. We are the same as most countries we have our share of nss type places right up to high end dayspas and cosmesceutical based salons. The need for different types of salons depends on the demographics of the area as it would in any country. Maybe if you were abit more specific about what you needed your question could be answered more efficiently.

Sam1, had you have read my post properly, you would have realised that I did NOT assume that Australia is behind. I quote :

'are they as up to date/MORE ADVANCED than us?'.....................Where is the implication there?!!! I asked because a lot of my family live over there (they used to live here and so are able to compare) and seem to think that the UK are more self obsessed when it comes to aesthetics and there is more of a demand for it in the UK. NOT because I wanted to insult poeple, I asked a genuine question for advice on the Oz beauty industry. Also, a friend has just moved back home after working for a major global hair company and her opinion was that the 2 markets were different.

I asked :

What kind of treatments they offer as in-is the demand for the more extreme as close to surgery but without the knife, kind of treatments are as big as over here?

I thought that was pretty clear?What I meant was, things like IPL for skin tightening, dermal fillers, facial peels etc etc?? Everywhere you go now pretty much in the UK there are clinics offering tis or that in the way of more drastic beauty treatments, its now, not always about a nice relaxing facial. People are obsessed with how they look and the demand for more drastic, immediate treatments is vast. But the market here is pretty saturated, particularly where I am, there are clinics/salons within meters of each other. I was wandering if Oz is the same?

I have obviously struck a nerve for some reason and apologise if I have offended you, that was not my intention.:irked:

Last edited:
I think the industry here is very varied. I'm in the country so things are a bit different here to larger places.

In my town there are 3 main salons ( and of course some other home salons etc that you don't hear much about).
1. Is a holistic salon that offers more traditionally eastern treatments.
2. Offers cosmesceutical skin treatments, IPL, micodermabrasion etc.
3. Has been operating for 20+ years and is still pretty much doing the same stuff as when they started.

More extreme treatments are available without travelling too far, but that's my take on what is available to me locally.
Thankyou for your help beautynails! Its nice to hear from those in the industry over there! It seems here as though every salon offers some kind of 'quick results more drastic' treatments and because everyone is doing it, competition is a lot tougher. I was just wandering if it was the same over there!Thanks once again!:hug:

Sorry Fluffystuff, I should have put a quote in your post wasn't the one that got me going but in relation to your question, I thought my last comments were fair, we are a big nation with lots of different demographics so what is popular in one area isn't always popular in another, so why should it be any different to the UK. Getting back in my box now:o

Sorry Fluffystuff, I should have put a quote in your post wasn't the one that got me going but in relation to your question, I thought my last comments were fair, we are a big nation with lots of different demographics so what is popular in one area isn't always popular in another, so why should it be any different to the UK. Getting back in my box now:o

ahhhh-PHEW!I couldnt fig out how youd managed to misinterpret what Id asked?!So I shall get back into my box too lol!Ah ok-thinking about it I get your point! I meant more in general, but most likely should have said its Perth that holds the interest at the mo-doh!!!!:)

Mmmm don't know whether to laugh at the assumptions or be insulted:irked:
Well I know which I was......... FFS have to go chase the kangaroos out of my front garden . :rolleyes:

ahhhh-PHEW!I couldnt fig out how youd managed to misinterpret what Id asked?!So I shall get back into my box too lol!Ah ok-thinking about it I get your point! I meant more in general, but most likely should have said its Perth that holds the interest at the mo-doh!!!!:)
Sam does make a very good point that often irks me when people ask questions about AUstralia. SO often people are asking for a nail tech in AU or where to get training, and then are suprised when they don't get help. It is a BIG country, and for what I know about Perth it might as well be on the other side of the world. There is a CND EA on here from Perth. I think her name is Leita. HTH

hth
xx

That's laughable and incorrect, I should know ..... I LIVE HERE !!!
I'd love to know where you are getting your facts from.

I wasn't going to comment on this thread, because initially I felt it wasn't about nails, but now they have been mentioned .....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back