Application of Creative Enamel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicki_20

Reaction score
Hi, i have purchased some creative enamels but having some problems with the application, the ones i have are opearlescent, metallic and sheer, i have 4 but each one when i apply 2 coats they still look streaky, the metallic one is the best out of all of them but still streaky, has anyone else experienced this with these type of enamels, or is it just my application, am i best of just using the cream enamels?

Thanks

Hi, i have purchased some creative enamels but having some problems with the application, the ones i have are opearlescent, metallic and sheer, i have 4 but each one when i apply 2 coats they still look streaky, the metallic one is the best out of all of them but still streaky, has anyone else experienced this with these type of enamels, or is it just my application, am i best of just using the cream enamels?

Thanks

TWO THIN COATS is the rule. The final coverage is never streaky.

Obviously with a metallic or frosted enamel (CND do not do pearlised) you will see frosting and you must apply thinly for this to be even. Sheers are sheer and I have never encountered streaking with any of the Sheers.

I think you may be applying to thickly. Make sure you roll the polish between your palms to thin it and mix it. HTH

As ever Geeg gives good advice! All I can add to it is to emphasise the need for meticulous nail prep, and a decent base coat, like Stickey, or Toughen Up. I'm a relative novice to this, but I've had no bother in applying any of the CND enamels (so far!)
Good Luck!

CND are the only enamels I stock and sell at the salon, the reason being that I think they give the best finish of any of the professional enamels available. I agree with Geeg and Calla that whatever the reason is, it's not the enamels!

Follow Geeg's advice and you wont go wrong.

Thanks for your replies.
Can anyone recommend the best technique to load your brush with the perfect amount of polish, ive just tried my opi polish and having the same streaking problmes so sure its something to do with my applcation, also when you use the 3 step technique middle and two sides of applying polish how do you prevent the join showing when youve done the middle and apply each side mine always seems to be left with a join line that leave streaks.

Would you recommend going onto the creative spa conversion course would this help woith my technique as in college they didnt show us correct application i had to read books.

Thanks

do you think you're actually trying to use too little?
i have very little experience with enamels but recently have started wearing it myself (CND only) and found it was streaking but now i load my brush a bit more - hey much better.
try on a few old tips - keep trying you WILL get there i'm sure
:)

Thanks for your replies.
Can anyone recommend the best technique to load your brush with the perfect amount of polish, ive just tried my opi polish and having the same streaking problmes so sure its something to do with my applcation, also when you use the 3 step technique middle and two sides of applying polish how do you prevent the join showing when youve done the middle and apply each side mine always seems to be left with a join line that leave streaks.

Would you recommend going onto the creative spa conversion course would this help woith my technique as in college they didnt show us correct application i had to read books.

Thanks

There is a tutorial from my book 'nailclass' about perfect polishing ... it is in the tutorials section here on the site. You need to learn the push pull technique etc to apply a professional polish. Fancy not teaching that vital part of what we do .. on your college course!! I'm amazed every day by what I hear about some college courses. :eek:

I know I'm replying to an old thread here, but I did a search on 'streaky varnish' and have been reading through hoping for some advice. I applied Creative Sheer Contentment that I bought from Ellisons about 4 weeks ago. I tried it on my mums normal french manicure and it went streaky, I said its was probably due to us having the door open. I applied it again yesterday on a new client and again the same happened. I removed the polish and tried 2 thinner coats and the same happened again. Both have wide nails and I'm doing more than 3 sweeps on the nail and its streaking either side of each sweep. I removed it again and tried a different base coat, again, so I am going back on Friday to redo both hands and toes. I really don't want to lose this client, she used to go to Nails Inc.

Ive read Geegs advise above using the push and pull and have just tried this on my self, a little better thanks. I feel the brush is quite narrow. Is there anything else i should be looking at?

I know I'm replying to an old thread here, but I did a search on 'streaky varnish' and have been reading through hoping for some advice. I applied Creative Sheer Contentment that I bought from Ellisons about 4 weeks ago. I tried it on my mums normal french manicure and it went streaky, I said its was probably due to us having the door open. I applied it again yesterday on a new client and again the same happened. I removed the polish and tried 2 thinner coats and the same happened again. Both have wide nails and I'm doing more than 3 sweeps on the nail and its streaking either side of each sweep. I removed it again and tried a different base coat, again, so I am going back on Friday to redo both hands and toes. I really don't want to lose this client, she used to go to Nails Inc.

Ive read Geegs advise above using the push and pull and have just tried this on my self, a little better thanks. I feel the brush is quite narrow. Is there anything else i should be looking at?

If the polish is building up either side of the brush it is due to one of 2 things or both. Only you know.

1. Still too much polish OR

2. Too heavy handed with the brush (bearing down too hard). When you apply polish your strokes should be light as a feather to get a smooth and even coat.

Sheer Contentment is a great polish and the one CND use in the Almond Spa Manicure video, where you can see it being applied expertly by Amanda Fontanarrosa

It feels strange giving advice to someone with all your experience .... but I can see no other reason for the streaking.

There is a tutorial from my book 'nailclass' about perfect polishing ... it is in the tutorials section here on the site. You need to learn the push pull technique etc to apply a professional polish. Fancy not teaching that vital part of what we do .. on your college course!! I'm amazed every day by what I hear about some college courses. :eek:

We were not shown how to polish at college either, just told to apply 2 coats. But what surprised me even more was that I went to college for a whole college year on a nail course and we were never taught to do a french manicure, I dread when clients ask for this as I'm just not confident that I'm doing it correctly!

I do know the technique and was taught it a long time ago, but i feel like I'm on auto pilot sometimes and not really taking in my polish routine. I would say french polish is one of my strengths as I've been doing it for years. I'm thinking now after wracking by brains all night and geegs comment, that as I didn't erect the nail table on either of these occasions and used a dining table, I must have been sat at an angle where I was applying incorrect pressure, doesn't explain the toes though! Or was it nerves - footballers wife, excited about the opportunities in front of me! LOL. I will return and perfect!

I do know the technique and was taught it a long time ago, but i feel like I'm on auto pilot sometimes and not really taking in my polish routine. I would say french polish is one of my strengths as I've been doing it for years. I'm thinking now after wracking by brains all night and geegs comment, that as I didn't erect the nail table on either of these occasions and used a dining table, I must have been sat at an angle where I was applying incorrect pressure, doesn't explain the toes though! Or was it nerves - footballers wife, excited about the opportunities in front of me! LOL. I will return and perfect!

Sorry picked up wrong polish, I used Romantique, not that it makes any difference. I have no probs with the other colour but she didn't want the frost effect.

Hi Newbie here so hope you dont mind my butting in. I use Creative enamels and have done for about 2 months and my clients love them. I have never had any problems and I have a stash of tons of high calibre enamels and now I cringe when they want something else. I use Sticky base and super shiny top (which makes everything look super). Let the brush do the work - easy peasy! Ish!! The results are gorgeous!
The mans and peds I do last for ages - no problems with streaks etc.

XX

Hi Newbie here so hope you dont mind my butting in. I use Creative enamels and have done for about 2 months and my clients love them. I have never had any problems and I have a stash of tons of high calibre enamels and now I cringe when they want something else. I use Sticky base and super shiny top (which makes everything look super). Let the brush do the work - easy peasy! Ish!! The results are gorgeous!
The mans and peds I do last for ages - no problems with streaks etc.

XX
Thanks Suelea, this is a first to me also. just can't understand whats gone on! Done a lovely french today using another creative polish. so haven't lost faith! x

Latest posts

Back