Applying tips with acrylic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondienailgurl

Reaction score
hi, i have had a lot of trouble with applying tips with glue.
I found that after about 2 weeks the natural nail seperated from the tip where it was attached to nail with glue and as a result i ended up with a weak nail and the end would snap off it hurt rather alot and destroyed my natural nail underneath.
I've tried all different types of glue and it does the same thing, i also tried using a full well tip to see if this would help it did not, so i tried applying the tips with acrylic and blending into natural nail then carry on applying the rest of my product which i have had more success with, i wanted to know if this was ok or if anyone else had tried it this way?
Also i have found that there is still a line where i have blended the tip although it appears seamless before i apply rest of product once it is on you can see it. help =)

Before good quality adhesive was 'invented' techs used to apply tips with L+P.
Now you have adhesives like Gelbond from CND I wouldn't have thought that you'd have needed to use the 'old ways'.
I use Gelbond when I apply tips and don't have any problems, have you tried it before?

re the tip blending, have a look at the following link, it should help: http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finis...le-control-part-2-thinning-blending-tips.html :green:

no i haven't tried gel bond but i have tried all the other nail glues adhesives out there and they only seem to seperate from my own nails no one elses it very strange

What steps are you doing in prepping the nails and applying the tips? Am I understanding right that you only have this issue with you and no one else? So you apply tips on your clients and they do fine?

I've been using tips for over 20 years now and have had no problems with the resin adhesive keeping tips on my client's nails or my nails. I am wondering if you just have too much moisture or oil in your system.

yes the problem only seems to happen to me, everybody else is fine they haven't had problems.
they used to stay on fine but in the last year and half they have decided they no longer want to stick to my nails with glue??
prep i do:
i push back cuticles
remove the non living tissues etch the nail
i would adhere the tip using glue.
apply primer 3 times (used to only do this once)
i do one nail at a time with the primer then apply product then move onto next one.

that was the old methos before it started not working anymore.
now when i apply tips i do it after the primer as i us l&p to apply them now then i blend them in.
i have had much more success with this, although occasionally i get line fro full well tips even though they look as though they are blended before i apply product but when it is applyied it suddenly shows through.
i changed colour of tips and that has seems to help as i noticed that the full well tips i was using compared to the new ones were slightly yellow looking, could this have been the problem?

Its not really an answer to your problem, but if you seem to have problems with tips just on yourself, why dont you sculpt your own nails-that way you wouldnt have to worry about the tips separating at all.
hth's

P.s. You say used to only apply primer once-was that when you were not having a problem?
If so, maybe now as you are applying the primer 3 times it is affecting the bonding of the tip to your nailbed.

Hi! I have very ~ shaped nails so when I would use a tip and glue I would always have to Shove the tip down on my nail to try and make it fint my nail shap. Till a friends showed me that she uses L&P to glue her nails on! I LOVE IT! Tossed all my glue and don't miss it a bit. The Acrylic molds to my nail shap and the tip at the same time. I just have to watch it that I dont use to muck as I will end up with over flow under the tip in zone 1 and 3. I can use my nippers under the tip if i get to much and even sand them a bit. I find that if I use the same color to glue the tip on as I do on the nail bed and if I don't use to much I have no issues with a line. in fact I think i have less of a blend line then i ever have before! I use a dif monomer then I use for the sculpture. I like the Moxie from CND. It is a fast set monomer. I want to find one that sets even faster lol. You have to watch out and make sure you hold the pressure even till it is dry or you will get some bubbles in a few spots. Good luck! and don't give up! OH also I don't use the primer anylonger since i started to use scrub fresh. It does it all and then some. :hug:

Latest posts

Back