Are my nail beds normal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ophala

Reaction score
I just wondered if my nail beds were 'normal' - or if anyone has come across this before?

I have very long nail beds (some might say I'm blessed!) but the problem is my hyponechium sticks out from my nail bed. it looks a bit unslightly through the free edge and is vert painful if I ever break a nail low down.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
i just wondered if my nail beds were 'normal' - or if anyone's come across it before.

i have very long nail beds (some might say i'm blessed!) but the problem is my hyponechium sticks out from my nail bed. it looks a bit unslightly through the free edge and is vert painful if i ever break a nail low down.

what do u think?

Sounds similar to my nails. I always hated getting my nails trimmed as a child because no one realized there was skin under my free edge:irked: My nails have to be really long before the free edge is white. When there is no free edge, I can put polish on and peeps think they are real long.

And yes, mine hurt too if they break low - really hurt.

That's why I love french enhancements - can fake a nice smile line instead of the uneven one I have naturally.

My big toenail is the same. I will not let ANYONE trim that baby! I can't even trim it myself without hitting hyponichium underneath as it is grown further out in the middle of the nail. I have to file it down.

Annoying.... but better than stubby nail beds right? LOL!

I've seen a few of these on my clients. Not a problem, in my point of view, as long as I don't need to touch this "overgrown" hyponychium but.. I just don't know how to deal with this when they want their nails very short. No way I would try to cut the nails, filing is difficult enough. How far can I go with the file? Could the overgrown skin be carefully separated from the nail using Cuticle Remover, just like you do the eponychium?:?:
Actually, this doesn't apply to short nails only.. I once had a client who really suffered from this: her hyponychiums were growing seriously over the fingertip and, even thouhg her natural nails were rather long they looked awful from the barrel and underneath. And I felt so unprofessional when I didn't know what to do about them..:?::?:

Mine are the same.. cant stand my nails being clipped!

Ah it's good to know I'm not alone!!

I had a manicure just before my 21st bday last year, before I started training, and the girl I went to didn't ask what shape/length I wanted and ended up filing them so short that my hyponechium was visible! I was so annoyed!

Luckily I don't have it with my toenails too......although I do suffer with ingrown toenails from time to time, which is worse!!

As CurlyQs said - better than stumpy nail beds I guess!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back