Are these the worst nails .....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What an awful experience for this poor lady!
Your kindness and expertise is something we should all strive for. You are a real credit to this profession!
Unfortunately there are "so-called" "trained" technicians out there doing this on a daily basis. Its this sort of workmanship that encourages bad press for the real professionals! I hear, countless times, how easy it is to "stick nails on" .......Yeah right! Course it is....and this example of "skill" (NOT!!!!) infuriates me, as the true professionals among us are spending continually on updating our education and seeking out ways to improve our skills and knowledge and generally increase standards within our industry.
Me? Angry!!? YOU BET! :o
Debz has covered the issue about Trading Standards and I am inclined to agree with her, as this is also my experience of their attitude. Of course, in this case and Im sure many other cases, physical evidence of total disrespect for hygiene and proper working conditions is blatant. Im sure this lady would have a justifiable case to sue this total jerk!!!!

A "big up" to you Fiona.....and I hope that your new client has a super wedding day!
:Love:

Not only am I shocked by the hideous finish of these nails, but I'm appalled at the apparent damage to the skin surrounding the nail area. But what is the most alarming part is that they are going to get people to pay and train them to learn how to do it this way, and pass on their appalling techniques to be inflicted on others.

Surely there is something we can do? If not, then this country sucks!! Why do the powers that be always wait until there are so many complaints, and THEN react? Surely with HSE, COSHH etc etc, there must be someone to control these malpractices - although I see the cosmetic surgery industry is only about to be regulated, so what hope for us lil ol' nail technicians?!

dear lord!!!

i feel like a super duper nail tech now! i see flaws in the nails i do but am proud to say i have never done a set that looked anythig like that!!

poor woman. bet shes glad shes found such a star nail tech now tho.

wouldnt happen to have an after pic would you?
id love to see how gorgeous you got them looking!

xxx

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't beleive she paid for them! They look dreadful (is that even the right word) what the hell are they doing i am sure even a unqualified tech could produce better than that.

and whats with the iodine?

I agree, these are horrid, and like mentioned above worst still is the damage to the skin around the nails, it looks so sore, almost like blisters, just think of all the nasties that could get in there. She must have felt so awful, poor lady...but then she found you and how kind you were to fix the damage free of charge, she will remember your kindness for a long time. You should feel jolly proud of yourself...xxx

Well done Fiona! Oooooh I can't believe she paid £45 for those I really can't! Tell you what I'm gonna do... I'm gonna save that pikkie and look at it every time I feel down about my abilities, and my nails.... I thought mine were bad, but that pikkie makes mine look like I've been doing it for years lol:eek: and that is saying something I can tell you!

Ouch poor woman her fingers look so swollen and sore and the cuticles are all ragidy and the nails ewwww they are the worst I have ever seen thank heavens she found you!!!! !

Debz said:
Those have got to be the 2nd worst set of nails I have ever seen!!!!!!

However, I don't want to burst anyones bubble or put the preverbial spanner in the works....BUT unfortunatly trading standards can do absolutly NOTHING about it. And unless the cowboys salon is breaking any health and serious safety issues(varies from area to area), neither can the council.
When I first joined 'geek' I had had a similar experience with brand new salon in our area(checking out competition!).
I was left with THE most horrendous nails u could ever imagine, swollen fingers, hardly any nail plate, primer burns from saturation and an overwhelming urge to wear a baseball glove for the rest of my life!!!
Knowing what damage this woman could do to the young impressionable students she was advertising to train(after 1 day training herself), I wrote to my local trading standards office, only to be told that as there she hasn't broken any laws as such and there was nothing they or I could do apart from to go back to this charliton(?) and ask her to redo them or refund me!
After bout 6 months my nails did start to grow again! Nearly a year later they back to a pretty good condition.

The moral of this story is,.... tell this lady that she MAY be wasting her money if she thinks trading standards will back her up, coz they won't.

Sorry to p on the parade folks.:cry:

Debz xx

Hi Debz

Sorry to disagree, but it is possible to get Trading Standards involved. In you instance, I would guess that, as you got nails (horrendous though they may be) no laws that TS are interested in were broken. In this case the client did not get nails cos the peeled off (made from iodine or something!!!)

I don't have the phrases to hand but I'm sure somewhere the 'salon' will have an explanation of what a 'full set' entails (regardless of damage etc) and they didn't provide a service that lived up to this (maybe a 'fit for purpose' statement).

Kicking up and drawing attention to such things may not pay off immediatly but will in the end!!

Thanks for the titbit mum, I shall def be delving into this a lot more;) .

Watch out nss everywhere, the kicking is about to begin!:irked: :D

Debz xx
mum said:
Hi Debz

Sorry to disagree, but it is possible to get Trading Standards involved. In you instance, I would guess that, as you got nails (horrendous though they may be) no laws that TS are interested in were broken. In this case the client did not get nails cos the peeled off (made from iodine or something!!!)

I don't have the phrases to hand but I'm sure somewhere the 'salon' will have an explanation of what a 'full set' entails (regardless of damage etc) and they didn't provide a service that lived up to this (maybe a 'fit for purpose' statement).

Kicking up and drawing attention to such things may not pay off immediatly but will in the end!!

omg those nails look horrible:Scared: , and just before her wedding day! If that was me before my wedding day god knows if i would have made it down the isle, its all about showing off the ring after the ceremony. nice ring love, shame about the fingers!

that was so nice of you sorting them out with no charge, :hug: proper saint you are! they looked very sore aswell as disgusting!

sorry havent read the 5 other pages yet so dont know if it has been said, but not only has she not got a full set of extensions, (trading standards) but surley (not up on law so i cud be talking utter rubbish) she can also get them for gbh. im sure that in adverts etc they dont say we will do a full set of extensions for you, but, we may cut you and burn you whilst doing them. i know that everyone makes mistakes, and when i started out i accidently cut someone with my file, but burning people from extreme over exposure (again when training i have accidently got a iccle bit of primer on clients skin - i knocked over my bottle - but i didnt burn my client or leave any markings) thats going against guidelines on msds therefore is misuse of product which kinda means that you dont have a leg to stand on if a client sues u when they have been damaged. whereas if an allergic reaction occured and you have quite clearly followed guidelines and you could not have prevented it, it would be harder for the client to sue. does any of this makes sence? im not sure it even does to me?! LOL!

I hope this client gets her money back, and some for the trauma, and i hope the salon in question can be prevented from doing this again, and defo prevented from training other file wealding maniacs!

You know what...I really hope your client takes that disgusting salon to the cleaners. You definately deserve all the praise you have been given Fiona, for the caring way you dealt with your clients plight :hug:
I just hope that armed with a new set of gorgeous nails and a fabulous time in Dominican Republic that on her return, she doesnt feel that she would rather forget the whole horrendous episode.
Fingers crossed its not over!

Well done Fiona for taking her on at all. Rep point to you! There is no excuse for bad nails and bad nail techs these days. I mean, come on.... there's a multitude of websites out there showing you what the finished product should look like, ie, elegant, well finished and natural. Sites such as :

Perfect wedding nails?

OMG, it gets worse!

Seanny said:
Well done Fiona for taking her on at all. Rep point to you! There is no excuse for bad nails and bad nail techs these days. I mean, come on.... there's a multitude of websites out there showing you what the finished product should look like, ie, elegant, well finished and natural. Sites such as :

Perfect wedding nails?

OMG, it gets worse!

LOL you silly.... I didn't expect them at all... good one Seanny ;)

OMG Deffo the worst nails i have ever seen, not only are the nails well!! DISGUSTING But the surrounding skin:Scared: I bet she was in a lot of pain

Amanda

I cannnot believe they did this! I had to cover my mouth when i saw this. I am horrified. they have abviosly taken advantage of her, i think they have done it on purpose and then ripped her off for the final laugh. I hope she takes action against this.
Have u got a pic of they nails you did 4 her?

They have got to be the worst I have seen, my 12 year old daughter could do better than that - places like it should be closed down immediately. Poor woman - she must have been so distraught. Thank God you were there to save the day.

Chris

I've never looked into it myself, but i'm sure that because it's not just a question of poor workmanship, but actually of DAMAGE - swollen, cuts etc, then there must be something that can be done. I bet it could be tricky if they were just of poor quality, but as there is visible and obvious damage, i think there must be a relatively simple case to answer. ;)

OMG.....NEVER HAVE I SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT! How discussting! Bless your heart for sorting her out and not charging her. I would like to see your client go back and press some charges agaist that so called 'salon'. I think you should report this to trading standards.

Did you take an 'after' picture? Would be kinda nice to see the results.

All the best!

i actually did a massive intake of breath and Dexter just asked me what was wrong!! You must keep this Fiona and give it to Alex and Kat - let's make a bloody example and stop allowing this to continue! £45.00 - it's just unbelievable - gob smacking - arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh I can't speak.... arghhhhhhh:twisted:

As far as trading standards etc go, you can do something. If your client is willing then here is what to do. Gather all your evidence - before and after photos, a statement from the client etc and advise her to contact the Citizens advice place. Legal Aid and the small claims court are also a good bet, as are compensation lawyers. bearing in mind, that most of these nss have self-employed people working in them, it is up to each person to sort out public liability insurance etc. I have had several clients in a similar situation and have kicked up all sorts of stink with everyone i could think of to call, send letters to etc. Trading Standards did get involved and so did the Environmental guys as well as Health and Safety and 2 of my clients got compensated as well as 4 techs from a certain salon have been given a suspension order and three months to get themselves insurance and to basically clean up their act.

This was a long, hard process, but well worth it in the end. Things may not be the same in your area, but Walsall Council and relevant authorities here were absolutely brilliant!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back