Are you still using the system you trained with as a newbie?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

An*Gel

Premium Geek
Reaction score
I had never heard of Salon Geek when I started out in the nail industry, so I had to make a lot of mistakes along the way and learn from them myself with absolutely no help.

I trained in a private college and went on to do several nail courses (spending a lot of money) and tried a lot of different systems until I found the ones I loved.

I see new Nail techs on here now asking questions about which system is the best etc and have to admit I feel a little jealous...... I wish I had known about Salon Geek when I was a newbie...

Does anyone else feel this way?

Did you get it right first time or like me, did you have to find out the hard way? (I'd love to hear eveyone elses stories)

And do you Newbies know how lucky you are by having such a fab site? :)

Oh, I hope they know, I envy them sooo much. Yes, I often think, how easy my begining would be with knowledge, systems quality and teachers like today.

I had also hard way to go, both with teaching level and with material quality. I have started with acrylics so hard, that files where ruined after one application, with gels runnig wherever they wanted ;). Now it is only pleasure working with many systems, knowlege is so wide and so easy to access..

Eh. :)

i dont use the same brand as i did when i first began.
however i am now aware that if i did use it i would be getting much better results with it than i used to.
its very easy to blame the product and not the tech when you are inexperienced.

i love the salongeek and i love beautytech, both have helped me on my nail journey.

But do not you think, that quality of the products has changed over years?

The first acrylics I started with was Supernail, hard, bubbling and yellowing. I remeber first meeting with CND, upgrading from solar liquid to retention (am I correct? it was years ago ;) ), amazing brisa gels.
I think that materials today are waaay better than 6-8-10 years ago, forums like this can help much, as there is so many experienced and helpful geeks. Trainigs easier to attend. In my opinion, start is easier beacuse of background. And more difficult because of the market full of salons and experienced naitechs. I remember when in Warsaw were 3 places you could make an enhancement :). Now there is more like 1000 I think.

i sure am glad and thankful for this site! and youtube! lol! i'm a total newbie, still. i started with OPI in school, then more than halfway thru my time there, the school switched to CND, which i'm thankful for otherwise i wouldve spent more money trying to work with OPI products and trying to make it work for me instead of trying other products. i just graduated school, so as of right now, i'm using CND everything, with the exception of polish, i still use OPI because i prefer it over cnd. anyway, yes, i'm very grateful for any and all advice on here, it doesnt go unnoticed and i put to use every single piece of advice i read here.!:)

i sure am glad and thankful for this site! and youtube! lol! i'm a total newbie, still. i started with OPI in school, then more than halfway thru my time there, the school switched to CND, which i'm thankful for otherwise i wouldve spent more money trying to work with OPI products and trying to make it work for me instead of trying other products. i just graduated school, so as of right now, i'm using CND everything, with the exception of polish, i still use OPI because i prefer it over cnd. anyway, yes, i'm very grateful for any and all advice on here, it doesnt go unnoticed and i put to use every single piece of advice i read here.!:)
I have only been licensed a cpl of yrs. and like you we were taught with opi....and abt half way thru my course I switched to cnd...wow, what a differance for ME...I do not wish to badmouth opi acrylics and gels I actually took extra classes in both and learned alot, but for some reason the smell of Absolute gave me horrible headaches and so I switched....and for me it made all of the differance...I just have had great luck with cnd....but I will say that I still use Bond Aid and the swiss-blue soap and hand sanitizer, along with polishes....I use cnd sticky and top coats...and now use Shellac and Gelish...I absolutly love Gelish...so I think that once you graduate, it is so awesome that you can find the products that work best for YOU....I thank God for sites like this one and bt.com...I have learned so much and would never have known about most of the awesome products out there or had the nerve to try them out....so thanks to all you awesome techs out there who have paved the way for chicks like me...:hug:

yes i am still using the system..
i am so thanking that now a days we have this kind of forums..
it really helps a lot in a newbies like me,,:)

Hi

No I'm not using the same system as my initial training. I originally trained in a generic beauty school and they were using Pina Parie products. It was only when I found SG and discovered that other brands are out there that I started to try other things - I went and trained with CND and found a huge difference in the quality of products x

I started with OPI also back in 1984 or something ( I don't like to think how long ago that was) and used if for 5 years or so in my 3 salons exclusively. Then I got sent a try me kit from the CND distributor and tried it on myself for 3 months to really test it (but to be honest I was hooked after the first application as it was so beautiful to work with and stayed looking so beautiful for so so long). Switched completely in every salon and branded myself as CND and business never looked back. Later on down the road, I became the UK distributor for CND and all these years later have still never found anything better (and I have looked). :lol:

I trained with CND and have never looked nor needed to look for any other product...and that is thanks to this site!! I did a little research and asked the geeks for their opinion and the rest is history :)

I dread to think how many mistakes I would have made if I was left to decide myself! x

I trained with CND in 2004 and still use their products, I've never felt the need to try others as my core system. CND L+P and Brisa give me everything I need. The only non-CND range I've added is OPI Axxium Soak Off Gel, and that was after much research. I've no regrets on that front either.

I started with CND in 2006 & still use it, I did get calgel last year as I did not want to mix the gels to get my colours with brisa, but a year later I am using CND shellac man I wished I'd known it was coming wasted hundreds of pounds on calgel :cry: lol I research pretty much everything to death before making a decison so glad I trained with CND :) xx

I "trained" with NSI and I think I gave it a really good go. I switched to CND about 10 months after a lot of struggles with lifting. I love CND and wish i switched sooner.

Salon geek has beeen a HUGE help, I think Im very lucky I found it about a month after my course.

I’m glad I found this site before I’ve even started my diploma. I’ve only had this site for a few days now and I’m finding it a helpful learning source already.
The only problem is I’m a bit confused about all the things I can do on this site

Latest posts

Back