Arguing with my fiancee over the penetration of Solar Oil into Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisenewell

Reaction score
Right...I am hoping there are some SCIENCE GEEKS online today...
I have dug out my Doug Schoon book so the other half is really asking for it now..lol

Reading my "Nails Mag" last night and mentioned the advertisement by CND for recommending solar oil as a partnership with shellac...which i always do and have this printed on my aftercare advice. Anyway I thought the ad and visual was lovely so have tore it out to blow up and post next to my nail table to push my retail sales of solar oil...anyway..

Tony pipes up..."But solar oil can't penetrate shellac.Of course the are going to recommend that with shellac.its a marketing gimmick"
So i reply..."Well why have i been recommending its use over acrylics for years then"...

My point is i know my science but get a bit tongue tied explaining it...
so how is the best way to explain this to the man who always thinks he is right...
ps...the is a bailiff/door man...not a nail professional...lol

I always say the molecules within solar oil are that small and can penetrate through shellac, regular polish and enhancements enabling it to reach the nail bed.

When asked (for enhancements) why we should do this along with the reasons of keeping cuticles supple etc I also add that natural nails are semi flexible and if we were to not help our enhancements feel as natural as nails they will be as hard as concrete and Feel very clumpy.

When asked about how it can soak through shellac AND varnish when they thought it could only soak through shellac I explain shellac is made with tiny tube structure enabelling the solar oil to penetrate quicker than through reg polish or enhancements.

I have some very questioning students that I do, I hope my understanding of solar oil and info I've retained is all right.

I don't want to sound silly but I thought the solar oil was to keep the cuticles soft and hydrated and shrink them back. I also never understand how or if it penetrates. I just thought with conditioning and hydrating the cuticles this would sort of move up the nail plate too! A chance to be educated would be great! X

A chance to be educated would be great! X
Yes solar oil does all that too but has a heap of benefits.

Your profile says you do nsi, shellac etc etc, are you not educated in nails then? I'm confused as during our training we were taught this.

the Free margin, (lateral side walls eponchium , hyponychium ) and under the free edge would be the essayist points of access to the natral nail ,

the sweet almond and the jojoba oil both have molicules small enough to penatrate the nail plate and help re balance the natral equilibrium between the oils and waters stored in the layers of the nail .

as for the Shellac or enhancement the word you need is plasticize (I think that is the spelling lol )

plastics need oils to , with out it they become brittle
my fave analergy when explaining to clients is that if you have ever left you childs poy box or something plastic out side all summer it becomes faded and brakes really easily ,
they normaly have some experince of this ,

there hands to are exposed to the elements with out care there Shellac or what ever will be like that toy box ;)

Last edited:
There a fab video on YouTube from CND, with the rather attractive chad ;) telling you about the tiny tunnels, I'm sure someone will link you to it x

Yes solar oil does all that too but has a heap of benefits.

Your profile says you do nsi, shellac etc etc, are you not educated in nails then? I'm confused as during our training we were taught this.
Sorry, I'm not the person you quoted but, I'm a fully qualified nail tech and have only learnt the many uses of Solar Oil, plus much other nail info from this site.

Partly because my memory is pretty shocking for the theory side but also because we weren't fully taught - even though I trained with a reputable brand, some of the training was terrible!

There a fab video on YouTube from CND, with the rather attractive chad ;) telling you about the tiny tunnels, I'm sure someone will link you to it x

I thought the tiny tunnels showed how acetone penetrates rather than Solar Oil? Also, there are no tiny tunnels in the basecoat, so how does the solar oil get through to the natural nail?

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm not the person you quoted but, I'm a fully qualified nail tech and have only learnt the many uses of Solar Oil, plus much other nail info from this site.

Partly because my memory is pretty shocking for the theory side but also because we weren't fully taught - even though I trained with a reputable brand, some of the training was terrible!

Thank you Emily, felt a bit shot down there! I just wanted to ask and learn not to be quizzed on my training and be made to feel like it was obviously crap as they didn't teach about solar oil!! X

I explain it to clients as each layer of shellac cured in the lamp creates tiny tunnels. The molecules in shellac are small enough to travel through the tunnels and nourish your nail plate, not just the surrounding skin of your nail. This is also how the acetone breaks up the product. :)

Sent from my SCH-R760 using SalonGeek

i can always tell if a client i using the solar oil i sent home with them or not! There's no comparison between solar oiled cuticles and crappy hand lotion cuticles. Just saying!!

i can always tell if a client i using the solar oil i sent home with them or not! There's no comparison between solar oiled cuticles and crappy hand lotion cuticles. Just saying!!

Yes definitely!! Much easier to manicure well oiled nails!!

Ahhh so the solar oil goes through the little removal tunnels?!! I know about these as obviously that's why it's so easy to remove but I didnt know the molecule sizes of solar oil!

Thank you Emily, felt a bit shot down there! I just wanted to ask and learn not to be quizzed on my training and be made to feel like it was obviously crap as they didn't teach about solar oil!! X

Holly I didn't mean to make you feel shot down, just asking a question as was confused (due to your quote about not being educated)...
Much the same really as the OPs initial question was asked as she was confused n looking for answers

Last edited:
Some nail coatings are less porous than others (e.g. buff off gels versus wraps or "gel polishes") the less porous, the harder it is for anything to penetrate (hence why buff off gels don't really soak off - acetone can't easily penetrate it). All polymers (which covers nail coatings) benefit from regular plasticizing. SolarOil is specifically designed to penetrate nail coatings and coat the polymer which makes it more flexible and less likely to become brittle or break under impact. If acetone can penetrate it, SolarOil is most likely able to as well (again, compare buff of gels with removable gels) saying that, SolarOil is not a solvent like Acetone so it won't break Shellac (or other nail products) down.

In the states, we have a classic, easily understood "man" example that he may understand, but it just isn't as popular over here as it is back home. It's called "ArmorAll". You spray Armorall on your dashboards, wheels and other polymer (plastic) surfaces in your car. You do this regularly not just because it makes the dashboard all pretty and shiny, you do it because it plasticizes the dash board which prevents aging and cracking. It is pretty much the same principal - just different polymers and different products.

PS - Regular use with Shellac is a bonus as it helps to counter drying from regular removal.

Hope this helps!

It is one thing to be sceptical when you know your science .. it is another to sceptical when you don't! :D

Shellac vs. Gel Polish - YouTube

Any nail technician who has clients who use solar Oil and clients who do not can spot the difference in the appearance and the 'feel' of the product immediately when a client has not been using it. You can also see that removal is quicker when clients use Solar Oil.

I have been using Solar Oil for almost 30 years and so have my clients ... it works, it does as promised. Solar Oil is made up of the highest grade of botanical oils possible to obtain .. they are very very small molecules and can easily reptate through both porous enhancement products and Shellac ... right through to the natural nail plate which it also penetrates. Wonderful stuff.

Last edited:
Some nail coatings are less porous than others (e.g. buff off gels versus wraps or "gel polishes") the less porous, the harder it is for anything to penetrate (hence why buff off gels don't really soak off - acetone can't easily penetrate it). All polymers (which covers nail coatings) benefit from regular plasticizing. SolarOil is specifically designed to penetrate nail coatings and coat the polymer which makes it more flexible and less likely to become brittle or break under impact. If acetone can penetrate it, SolarOil is most likely able to as well (again, compare buff of gels with removable gels) saying that, SolarOil is not a solvent like Acetone so it won't break Shellac (or other nail products) down.

In the states, we have a classic, easily understood "man" example that he may understand, but it just isn't as popular over here as it is back home. It's called "ArmorAll". You spray Armorall on your dashboards, wheels and other polymer (plastic) surfaces in your car. You do this regularly not just because it makes the dashboard all pretty and shiny, you do it because it plasticizes the dash board which prevents aging and cracking. It is pretty much the same principal - just different polymers and different products.

PS - Regular use with Shellac is a bonus as it helps to counter drying from regular removal.

Hope this helps!

Perfect Sam...thank you...Tony will understand this "man terminology" much better..lol...

Thanks that's fab info, more to arm myself with when faced with the naughties who don't use their solar oil!

Hope this helps!

That was GENIUS!! What a fabulous example!!

Hi a great and intresting article, I know other oils will still penetrate, but will they work as well, even though they are an almond oil

Thank you for a fabulous thread!

I am known to my clients as the Solar Oil Police .... They know I will know they've not uses as prescribed!!! This article will help me use different ways of explaining it to different people! I especially like the plastic toys left outside comparison!

To be fair most of them are very good it's just the odd one or two and for new clients. Having many ways of saying the same thing give you a greater chance if getting everyone to understand!

Thank you

Xxxxxx

Latest posts

Back