Aromatherapy for muscle knots / spasms

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waxed

Reaction score
Hi guys I don't do aromatherapy, but would love to know a blend to massage in to my shoulders.....I have a problem with my trapezius muscle going in to a spasm which put me in hospital a couple of weeks ago...its settled down now but it really hard just near my shoulder.

If any one has a blend that would help I would really appreciate it

Angela

I've just made a blend for someone who does weightlifting and boxing, it has lemon, rosemary and peppermint in. Would be best for you to go to an Aromatherapist tho :) x

Hi guys I don't do aromatherapy, but would love to know a blend to massage in to my shoulders.....I have a problem with my trapezius muscle going in to a spasm which put me in hospital a couple of weeks ago...its settled down now but it really hard just near my shoulder.

Angela
Hi Cherub,I really dont recommend you trying to blend oils yourself without the training.
I think you are far better off going to an aromatherapist....Also it is extremely hard to massage your own trapezius or any area of your own back effectively.
Why not treat yourself and book a treatment,in the meantime try a wheatgerm bag or hot water bottle.Bio freeze is very good and can be bought from a chiro or Boots.HTH

I do a lot of massage which affects my trapezius muscle and gives me sciatica. My osteopath does a fab job of helping it. I have bought a heat pad its called 'heat in a click' It's absolutely fantastic at heating the muscle up and then you can break it down a lot easier yourself. Different things work for different people but its defo worth giving a go! xxx

ps. Crabtree and evelyn do some bath salts called mineral muscle soak that contains peppermint. Also very good! xxx

its hard to recommend oils without speaking to you as some oils are dangerous for people with blood pressure issues, sensitive skin, pregnancy, etc. etc.

But for this situation it would either be

marjoram or blackpepper.

Their has been a study about peppermint, stating that it is particularly good for sciatica! so yes, peppermint could be a good oil to use.

ginger is warming so would help to penetrate.

Thank you for your replys

I have no health problems, no high blood pressure, or sensitive skin.

I have purchased an aromatherapy book and some oils....

They are just to get me by whilst I locate an aromatherapist in my area.

I have Peppermint, Marjoram, black pepper , Lavender , Chamomile and some others.

Is is it right to mix 2 drops per 5mls of carrier oil

Thanks

Angela

to be cautious, 1 drop per 5ml of carrier oil.

Angela

If it put you in hospital, why not see a true professional? Sounds like you need more than just smelly oil.

Blackpepper was my first thought, but as advised it would be best to get advise from an aromatherapist, then treat yourself to some r'n'r :)

Also try a foam neckbrace to relieve the strain on the neck and shoulders as you tire and drop your chin to your chest.
I wear mine when on the computer at home or when doing nails/mani'/pedi if I'm having a bad neck day, though not when doing massage and facial treatments

There is an elastic brace also [ mentioned here a few years ago ] that is used and recommended for equestrian riders to help with posture etc.This was also recommended for therapists to help reduce back neck and shoulder strain.

Braces are not recommended or given for this kind of problem nor for neck problems anymore as they stop the neck muscles from working i.e holding your head up ! lol.

Please go see your GP about it but don't dismiss seeing an Aromatherapist/Body worker as a complementary :)

As has been said ask the doctor heat on an inflamed muscle may not be recommended. I would ask the doctor if you can use a muscle rub like Radian B as it has a mild pain killer in it too. I would think the doctor would recommend an anti-inflammatory pain killer like Ibuprofen but ask a medic. :hug:

Thank you for you replys

I have been put on muscle relaxing tablets and using a tens machine he advised me to have a massage as the muscle is in a knot after the spasm......I will be going back to see him soon.

Thanks

Angela

Hope you find relief with the tens machine, tabs and enjoy the massage x

If it put you in hospital, why not see a true professional? Sounds like you need more than just smelly oil.
LOL Carl at smelly oil!!!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back