Artistic Colour Gloss - lasts longer then Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haii,
I havent used the shellac but I am trained and use ACG and I personally love it. I know the shellac lasts 2 weeks and ACG lasts 3 weeks and I think with 90% of my clients - they say the ACG actually does last for the full 3 weeks. Even when they come back for a repaint the gel is still on so I think it's very good.

As I said earlier .. Shellac will last a good 3 weeks on most clients ... but it looks as pants as anything else does if allowed to do so.

This is Shellac done by Tina Phamily from Hot Gossip Salon in LOndon. Three weeks and counting .. :lol:

picture.php

Why is three weeks such a great result when they look like this?? They needed redoing at least a week earlier. I don't understand the obsession with the 3 week thing. These are not enhancements .. they are polished nails with Shellac! Most women don't even get a week out of enamel polished nails and are thrilled with 2 weeks perfect wear, and THAT is when I want them back in the salon getting a re-do.

These are my own Shellacked nails after 3 weeks wear ... as new!!! Not a mark. Shellac is as durable as anything else if clients care for their nails a little bit and value them.

picture.php

As I said earlier .. Shellac will last a good 3 weeks on most clients ... but it looks as pants as anything else does if allowed to do so.

This is Shellac done by Tina Phamily from Hot Gossip Salon in LOndon. Three weeks and counting .. :lol:

picture.php

Why is three weeks such a great result when they look like this?? They needed redoing at least a week earlier. I don't understand the obsession with the 3 week thing. These are not enhancements .. they are polished nails with Shellac! Most women don't even get a week out of enamel polished nails and are thrilled with 2 weeks perfect wear, and THAT is when I want them back in the salon getting a re-do.

These are my own Shellacked nails after 3 weeks wear ... as new!!! Not a mark. Shellac is as durable as anything else if clients care for their nails a little bit and value them.

picture.php

Completely agree!! I have clients saying after two weeks that they are still in perfect condition,but need them done because of the regrowth...it doesn't look good,personally I don't leave my own on for longer than ten days because of the regrowth....it doesn't look great after two and looks awful after three :-/
Just because shellac says up to 14 days,it doesn't mean that it can't last longer :) xx

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

I've never used ACG, but I Shellacked these nails 6 weeks ago... They lasted perfectly, but as said the regrowth is horrendous.

The picture would help!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1344084363.950464.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1344084363.950464.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 492
I'm not a gel polish user, but I don't understand why one MUST be better than the other, rather than realising that different things are appropriate for different circumstances. ACG is a gel polish, shellac is not; of course they're going to be different :lol:

I don't understand the 'lasts longer' arguement either:

Apologies for the terrible quality - it's from my phone and has had no post-processing.
xn69kz.jpg

That was four weeks of shellac. It was perfect, not a mark on it - and I have rubbish nails! It would've gone much longer; however, I couldn't wait any longer to take it off. Who in their right mind would WANT the regrowth. It looks horrendous! :eek:

And DO note the shine on all of these Shellacked nails done by three different technicians ... Not a scratch (or a thousand tiny scratches) .. not a patch of dull sheen ... still perfectly beautiful and at a high resolution too ... :lol:

Ok throwing this out there from a business point of view for another take on the 2 or 3 weeks wear.... Shellac for example lasts up to 2 weeks, my regulars book in every 2 weeks. Now i stand to make more money if i'm reshellacing every 2 weeks as opposed to to every 3 weeks (same could be said for gel polishes if reapplied every 2 weeks).

Example:

£25 x 26 appointments every 2 weeks over 52 weeks =£650

£25 x 17 (17.3333 to be exact) appointments every 3 weeks over 52 weeks =£425

Think i'd rather stick to every 2 weeks for 3 reasons:

1. Regrowth visible
2. Clients wanting to change colour
3. As a business more money :)

Just a thought ;) x x x

Ok throwing this out there from a business point of view for another take on the 2 or 3 weeks wear.... Shellac for example lasts up to 2 weeks, my regulars book in every 2 weeks. Now i stand to make more money if i'm reshellacing every 2 weeks as opposed to to every 3 weeks (same could be said for gel polishes if reapplied every 2 weeks).

Example:

£25 x 26 appointments every 2 weeks over 52 weeks =£650

£25 x 17 (17.3333 to be exact) appointments every 3 weeks over 52 weeks =£425

Think i'd rather stick to every 2 weeks for 3 reasons:

1. Regrowth visible
2. Clients wanting to change colour
3. As a business more money :)

Just a thought ;) x x x

Well it shows smart sensible thought which one would think would be obvious to anyone with a business brain, but apparently not :lol:

Neither Shellac nor gel polishes are enhancements. If you are choosing the right clients (ladies with nice natural nails who want a long lasting manicure) for the Shellac service they DONT EXPECT 3 WEEKS OUT OF THE POLISH!!

ONLY EX ENHANCEMENT CLIENTS WANT 3 WEEKS WEAR, BECAUSE THEY ARE USED TO IT.

We don't let our enhancement clients near Shellac :lol: .. We don't; they have to literally beg us to use it on them. They have forgotten why they came to us in the first place ... BECAUSE THEIR NAILS NEEDED THE STRENGTH OF ENHANCEMENTS!! We have a whole new different category of clients for Shellac (bless their little hearts)!! Shellac has been just the 'shot in the arm' our business needed to grow by another third during this recession. Magic :lol:

Here is another image I have of Shellac done by one of our lovely Shellac EA's - Gemma Pinfield-Thomas ... 3 weeks. Don't tell me Shellac doesn't last three weeks, just because we are realistic and truthful and say it should be redone in 2 weeks for the sake of beauty.

picture.php

Last edited:
OK.......
So, ACG is a gel polish - cures in 30 secs fast, fab range colours takes an age to remove and is hard on ones nails. Lasts 3 weeks
Shellac is a UV polish - cures in 2 mins, more than sufficient range of colours with layering possibilities (but a bit limited) Takes 10 mins max to remove and doesnt damage nails if oiled regulary.Lasts 2-3 weeks

Hmmm - what makes or breaks it for me?

Damage to natural nails and length of time with removal. - simple.

I also like the asking by name point, that was good. :)

I can charge time accordingly when I am actually performing a service rather than justifying removal time, and well damage to the natural nails is a given. No thanks.

Shellac last on my clients nails generally 3 weeks (except for ruddy Romantic!!)

I prefer the 3 week client, so I always try to stagger them except if they are wearing Romantic (bloomin hate that colour -always chips or goes white on my clients!) I see it actually as allowing another client to fill an appointment , rather than one person every 2 weeks, I now get 2 people every 3 weeks.. ;)

Thanks, informative thread

Playing devils advocate here, why do you think ACG causes damage to the natural nail??

I use both systems successfully but I've seen dehydration or flaking nails from some clients who have used both systems, I'd hazard a guess that these people aren't heeding my aftercare advice of regular Solar Oil or that they are just prone to flaking nails?

BTW I NEVER buff the natural nail plate before using ACG, the only time I would buff would be to remove any excess flaking on the free edge and that I would do before I was going to use any UV polish.

Playing devils advocate here, why do you think ACG causes damage to the natural nail??

I use both systems successfully but I've seen dehydration or flaking nails from some clients who have used both systems, I'd hazard a guess that these people aren't heeding my aftercare advice of regular Solar Oil or that they are just prone to flaking nails?

BTW I NEVER buff the natural nail plate before using ACG, the only time I would buff would be to remove any excess flaking on the free edge and that I would do before I was going to use any UV polish.

Clients may not be heeding your advice .. that happens. But the fact is that, devils advocate or not, ACG recommends buffing the nails with a 180 grit file before applying a primer (dehydrating on both counts) then applying base coat and cure plus dry brushing before adding the colour coats.

I'm afraid (so sorry) I take no notice of those who say they do not buff, because I see it all the time. We have tried several of the gel polishes that come in the same bottle ... and in every case they say to buff the natural nail first, use a primer and educate to dry brush the base coat .... all quite the same. If you choose not to buff then that is in fact going against the recommended application instructions; not everyone will do that ... most will follow to the letter. If you choose not to buff, then I suspect it is because you have used Shellac and have adopted the CND method of application ... but you will not have success with all clients if you do not buff when using gel.

Gels do not stick well to a shiny surface ... they require a dry clean, slightly roughened surface. Virgin nails need to be buffed when using gel ... if they are ex enhancement clients then that is another story as their nails are already dehydrated before you apply the gel so you wouldn't need to buff (although many still do).

Shellac takes 10 minutes max to remove. Gels require a longer period from 15 to 30 minutes as quoted by many experienced users ... this also creates excess exposure to a dehydrating solvent; it all adds up to excess dryness (buffing, primer use, excess exposure to drying solvents).

Last edited:
OK.......
So, ACG is a gel polish - cures in 30 secs fast, fab range colours takes an age to remove and is hard on ones nails. Lasts 3 weeks
Shellac is a UV polish - cures in 2 mins, more than sufficient range of colours with layering possibilities (but a bit limited) Takes 10 mins max to remove and doesnt damage nails if oiled regulary.Lasts 2-3 weeks

Oh I think this really misstates the case! I'm not saying that Shellac is a bad choice, just that this statement of facts is inaccurate.

ACG is no harder on one's nails and causes no more damage than Shellac or any other brand. For me, it is a bit harder to remove and that has the potential for damage as I am tempted to impatiently scrape. And remove time for both is about the same 10-15mins.

I find it more durable than Shellac. Shellac, for me, is easier to remove and therefore has less potential for damage. The CND lamp cures ACG as well as Shellac. I use them both.
Me too! Had ACG done as a treat before I went on holiday. After two weeks away I couldn't wait to get it off and shellac myself again!! Nails are very dehydrated despite solar oil too now! Boo!

Hiya

It just came across on previous posts that the potential for damage was greater. Have you not found this? Did I read too quickly and jump to a conclusion?
Would you recommend trying it and offering both to clients?
How is that working for you?
How exactly do you explain the difference without confusing them?

Thanks
Cait :hug:

Hiya

It just came across on previous posts that the potential for damage was greater. Have you not found this? Did I read too quickly and jump to a conclusion?
Would you recommend trying it and offering both to clients?
How is that working for you?
How exactly do you explain the difference without confusing them?

Thanks
Cait :hug:

I think Shellac is among the easiest to remove quickly (but then OPI does just as well, if not better). ACG takes more time, and for impatient me, that provides potential for some damage because I want to scrape.

Shellac is a great product. People walk in asking for it. But it works best on strong, healthy nails. It is a "power polish" and does provide some protection to nails. Gel polishes are made of, well, gel. and tend to perform better on weaker nails. I think that the different brands make a great combo to offer clients. I like Shellac but ACG has some great unique colours. We've been offering Shellac, OPI and Gelish/ACG (I put them together because they're made by the same conglomerate). Clients will form their own preferences. Ours are clearly moving towards OPI because they've been using the regular OPI polishes for years.

I think this point is going to be a bigger issue in the future. When Shellac and Gelish were the only (big) kids on the block, nail techs/pro picked one system and stuck with it. Now, with dozens of power/gel polishes out there, techs are more likely to use more than one system and even intermix.

I should have been clearer. ACG does not do damage to natural nails, but sometimes I do when I am impatient and get too aggressive in removal. As they say, "it's not the tools...."

Completely agree!! I have clients saying after two weeks that they are still in perfect condition,but need them done because of the regrowth...it doesn't look good,personally I don't leave my own on for longer than ten days because of the regrowth....it doesn't look great after two and looks awful after three :-/
Just because shellac says up to 14 days,it doesn't mean that it can't last longer :) xx

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

I've started doing mine French just because I never seem to have time o do my nails as my clients are so regular at booking in!! That way, if I go three weeks (my shellac lasts between
2/3 easily), I don't have the huge regrowth! If only they made shellac for hair, I could do with my hair growing as quickly as my nails!!!!

I've started doing mine French just because I never seem to have time o do my nails as my clients are so regular at booking in!! That way, if I go three weeks (my shellac lasts between
2/3 easily), I don't have the huge regrowth! If only they made shellac for hair, I could do with my hair growing as quickly as my nails!!!!

Oh no! My roots would have to be done every two weeks :Scared:

This is one of my ladies I saw this morning . This is her Shellac Rockstar after 3 weeks. Still perfect , still shiny . This lady is a bass guitar player too so hardly gentle on her hands and not an avid follower of aftercare advice either :lol:

Attachments

• resize shellac.jpg
    resize shellac.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 488
Mommyoo3 do you use the artistic 30 lamp?! They are so pricey...esp for someone starting out x

Mommyoo3 do you use the artistic 30 lamp?! They are so pricey...esp for someone starting out x

Hi, this thread was originally started 4 years ago and hasn't been revisited since August 2012, sadly most of the original posters have left. You might want to start a new thread about the lamp for more up to date replies :D

Latest posts

Back