Artistic Colour Gloss - lasts longer then Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Passionate

Reaction score
I just read a beauty review on this and was really intrigued by it. They stated that it lasted a whole week longer then Shellac. Has anyone used it? And does it last longer then Shellac?

i think personally as each of us has different nails and lives that it is difficult to say how long each system lasts. my clients are getting 3 weeks out of shellac and were getting 3 weeks out of bio sculpture which is a gel and supposed to be stronger!! so who knows!x

One thing you have to remember when comparing CND Shellac with other products on the market is that CND Shellac isn't a Gel it's a 'Power Polish' so it isn't the same product.
It is not designed to be a strong coating like a Gel, it's a protective coating which on the correct nail base gives a fantastic lasting finish.
Many of my clients could easily get 3 weeks but chose 2 weeks due to the growth.

i think personally as each of us has different nails and lives that it is difficult to say how long each system lasts. my clients are getting 3 weeks out of shellac and were getting 3 weeks out of bio sculpture which is a gel and supposed to be stronger!! so who knows!x

I agree with this post. It depends on the client's nails and the environment/activities the nails are exposed to.

I guess to get a true comparison one would need to run a fair experiment on themselves and compare

Thanks for all your feedback! I love Shellac but your right I guess it depends on clients nail condition etc.

How much longer than 2-3 weeks do you want it to last? Most clients get 3 weeks .. some only 2 ... some cant stand the re-growth and change as soon as they see an appreciable amount of it. After 3 weeks they ALL look pants. Meaningless Hype IMO!!

I just read a beauty review on this and was really intrigued by it. They stated that it lasted a whole week longer then Shellac. Has anyone used it? And does it last longer then Shellac?

Just spent an age on Sunday removing ACG to then apply Shellac!!! Yes it does last long (not necessarily longer than Shellac) but the visible sign of regrowth at 3 weeks is never pretty!

I'm in love with Artistic Colour Gloss, its amazing.

I trained in Shellac but have just discovered ACG, its glides on the nail and looks and feels more like polish as its so much thinner, plus I love their colours. Currently sporting their neon pink which gets comments from everyone.

The only problem is there are endless numbers of colours to choose from, so difficult to choose when you're starting off!

The best most amazing thing about ACG is a thin top coat instead of the gloop that is Shellac. I still offer Shellac but I'm hoping my clients will start to choose ACG.

Its just my opinion.

Im interested as well...
I am doing a roaring trade with Shellac. I love it and my clients love it . I have been using it for 2 1/2 years and only now is it becoming THE IT thing in Salzburg. As only now other salons are offering it. Im interested in the 20 second cure of ACG..this could save me a lot of time and earn me more money if it really does what it says... I also like the crazier colour range , this could open a new client base to me - younger clients.
Is Shellac more expensive? Does it really last 21 days? and ..how long does it take to remove?

I'm in love with Artistic Colour Gloss, its amazing.

I trained in Shellac but have just discovered ACG, its glides on the nail and looks and feels more like polish as its so much thinner, plus I love their colours. Currently sporting their neon pink which gets comments from everyone.

The only problem is there are endless numbers of colours to choose from, so difficult to choose when you're starting off!

The best most amazing thing about ACG is a thin top coat instead of the gloop that is Shellac. I still offer Shellac but I'm hoping my clients will start to choose ACG.

Its just my opinion.

I started learning gels With acg, there colours are great. I also recently tried the Gellux and waiting to see how long they last on their toes. I like vogue on acg :)
But on how long they last is different for everyone.

Just spent an age on Sunday removing ACG to then apply Shellac!!! Yes it does last long (not necessarily longer than Shellac) but the visible sign of regrowth at 3 weeks is never pretty!

Me too! Had ACG done as a treat before I went on holiday. After two weeks away I couldn't wait to get it off and shellac myself again!! Nails are very dehydrated despite solar oil too now! Boo!

I don't like it at all. Found it really sticky like a proper gel and really got on my nerves. I couldnt do a 5 finger cure either, had to redo the thumbs. Yuck is all I can say for me personally. But each to their own x

I use both systems although I have more colour choices in Shellac but I bought into ACG because at the time I wanted a more variety of colours.

I have clients who have converted from Shellac to ACG because their nails are weaker and it works for them.

I have a couple of Shellac polishes that have gone a little gloopy so are a nightmare to apply, ACG never goes thick so it's always easy to apply BUT I have to admit that removal is not a patch on Shellac. I hate having to wait 15 or so minutes and I find even then it doesn't lift like Shellac, which is a shame. From what I can gather though most "true" gel polishes take 15 mins to start to lift so I don't think it's particularly ACG which has a problem, it's just we're so used to Shellac removing like a dream.

Clients can go 3 weeks and it does last but like everyone else has said regrowth is horrendous unless they're having a neutral or french colour and I do get the odd client who try to eek out as many days out of it as they can. ;)

There are pros and cons of every system.

Last edited:
I would like to point out that clients ask for shellac by name, I doubt they would artistic colour gloss??! X
:D

I would like to point out that clients ask for shellac by name, I doubt they would artistic colour gloss??! X
:D

Most clients who want Shellac get Shellac but more often than not a client is swayed by the colour choice. I always explain the difference between ACG and Shellac and ultimately it's the client who makes the final decision and in most cases, it's purely down to the colour or an outfit they've got to match it up to. :)

Oh and about the gloopy Shellac, I realise now it was down to me painting too slow when I first started. It's a pain as I have a few colours that I can't really use, although I may use these as the first base colour when using Additives.

Last edited:

ACG is a gel polish designed by Tom Bachik and manufactured by HNH, and has more in common with Gelish and Red Carpet Manicure than Shellac. They each have their pros and cons. ACG has some really interesting and very fashion forward colours and neutrals and has the LED cure that Shellac does not have. I find it more durable than Shellac. Shellac, for me, is easier to remove and therefore has less potential for damage. The CND lamp cures ACG as well as Shellac. I use them both.

ACG is a gel polish designed by Tom Bachik and manufactured by HNH, and has more in common with Gelish and Red Carpet Manicure than Shellac. They each have their pros and cons. ACG has some really interesting and very fashion forward colours and neutrals and has the LED cure that Shellac does not have. I find it more durable than Shellac. Shellac, for me, is easier to remove and therefore has less potential for damage. The CND lamp cures ACG as well as Shellac. I use them both.

Very unbiased post (for a change!) I use Gelish and have a couple of ACG colours that I use with Gelish base and TIO (because they work together). I think Shellac is a great product and easier to remove but I use Gelish/ACG because it works with all nail types and the colour choice is better than Shellac. ;)

Very unbiased post (for a change!) I use Gelish and have a couple of ACG colours that I use with Gelish base and TIO (because they work together). I think Shellac is a great product and easier to remove but I use Gelish/ACG because it works with all nail types and the colour choice is better than Shellac. ;)

Opinion is always biased ... Including yours!:lol: show me an opinion that is not?

And some of us think the colour choices of Shellac are awesome and more than enough of a choice for client's and growing all the time.

Comparing Shellac to any type of gel is like trying to compare an apple to kiwi fruit .... Entirely different.

You want to use gel and all that entails re prep, removal and application, to put colour on nails then do so.

If you want to apply colour that is also instantly dry, long lasting ... Quicker to apply, much less prep, much faster removal and a whole heep safer and kinder to the health of the natural nails, then choose Shellac. Or use both for different purposes. That may sound biased, but it is also true so not much else to say really.

Just realised I should have said unbiased thread, not post as I was referring to the fact that there were lots of posts with interesting info included about various products and it hadn't turned into a slanging match yet...

Haii,
I havent used the shellac but I am trained and use ACG and I personally love it. I know the shellac lasts 2 weeks and ACG lasts 3 weeks and I think with 90% of my clients - they say the ACG actually does last for the full 3 weeks. Even when they come back for a repaint the gel is still on so I think it's very good.

Latest posts

Back