Asked to work at your friend's wedding?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolly6410

Reaction score
hey geeks

so i have had an answer phone message today from a friend asking if i will do her wedding makeup at the end of the year. I'm thinking I should be feeling privileged that she picked me, but then again if i'm doing makeup then i'm not going to be able to act and feel like a guest... also what would i charge her? i don't like doing friends or family (well family outside my 4 walls) because they tend to mess me around and majority of them expect stuff 'on the cheap'. I want to do it from a business point of view but as a friend point of view i'm not too sure... help please geeks :hug:

Do the bridal party make up as your wedding present...i hate bridal work and rarely do it but when it is friends or family you get backed into a corner. I have found this solution avoids the awkward issue of pricing and everyone is happy!
J

I'm doing a friends wedding make up and I'm doing her make up as my present to her but bridesmaids etc are to pay in full and she's happy with that

Do the bridal party make up as your wedding present...i hate bridal work and rarely do it but when it is friends or family you get backed into a corner. I have found this solution avoids the awkward issue of pricing and everyone is happy!
J

I've only just started makeup so i'm really worried, it's one thing when it is a stranger, but someone you know and don't want to disappoint... i keep going to phone back and then i think oh god i don't know!!! :lol: i'm worried if i did it for her wedding present she'd think of it as a freebie and then constantly expect freebies so not sure i want to get into doing that, also it's getting to that stage where everyone we know is getting married and i wouldn't want her to say 'oh get dolly to do it, she'll do it for free!' which is what she'd do x

I've had a few friends ask me to do their wedding make up where I'm a guest and I felt a bit uncomfortable charging. So I do it as their gift and I also use it for marketing! I can use their images and tag myself in a few pics and they love it. I don't find it ruins the day or anything as I'm there so early and its nice being a real part of their day xx

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

But I do charge for bridesmaids...

I'm doing a friends wedding make up and I'm doing her make up as my present to her but bridesmaids etc are to pay in full and she's happy with that

ooooooo i didn't think of that, i was thinking like the whole wedding party as a present, maybe that would work better. I think i'm just paranoid i'd wreck her day if she didn't like it x

It depends on how good the friend is. If she is a very good friend, I would do her for free and then charge the bridesmaids a reduced fee. If a bit of a distant friend, then just reduce the total fee a little.
x

I've had a few friends ask me to do their wedding make up where I'm a guest and I felt a bit uncomfortable charging. So I do it as their gift and I also use it for marketing! I can use their images and tag myself in a few pics and they love it. I don't find it ruins the day or anything as I'm there so early and its nice being a real part of their day xx

ooo you're all making me feel abit better, that sounds good, i suppose with a friend you don't mind shoving a camera in their face! how would you word that you will do their wedding makeup as a present but they need to pay for anyone else having it done? x

ooooooo i didn't think of that, i was thinking like the whole wedding party as a present, maybe that would work better. I think i'm just paranoid i'd wreck her day if she didn't like it x

Just make sure she had a trial first and don't worry about it so much. I think by charging bridesmaid etc she knows its not a freeby and will see it as more of a gift x

It depends on how good the friend is. If she is a very good friend, I would do her for free and then charge the bridesmaids a reduced fee. If a bit of a distant friend, then just reduce the total fee a little.
x

used to be a good friend, but now just distant, haven't seen her for a long time and probably won't see her much before the big day x

ooo you're all making me feel abit better, that sounds good, i suppose with a friend you don't mind shoving a camera in their face! how would you word that you will do their wedding makeup as a present but they need to pay for anyone else having it done? x

I just told her, I just said I'll do yours for nothing other people will be £xx

In that case (even though I am sure your make-up is good), she is obviously asking as she wants it cheaper than what she can find elsewhere.
I would charge, but reduce the fee, but only by a little and maybe even charge the bridesmaid full, especially if you dont know them.
x

Do whatever you feel comfortable with, I suppose it does depend how close you are. With most friends I have also done something for the groom - eyebrow and nail tidy and back massage or something, as I have felt guilty about giving a present he doesn't get the benefit of! Its also a nice package you can offer to your standard wedding clients.
J

I have always charged friends for wedding makeup & hair the full price that my other clientspay, then everyone knows where they stand and they can as picky and fussy as they want.

I just told her, I just said I'll do yours for nothing other people will be £xx

thank you :)

In that case (even though I am sure your make-up is good), she is obviously asking as she wants it cheaper than what she can find elsewhere.
I would charge, but reduce the fee, but only by a little and maybe even charge the bridesmaid full, especially if you dont know them.
x

:lol: no no this is why i thought she was asking me in the first place, i think i will say i will do a X amount discount if she does choose to come with me and www.*******.com is my website and all my prices are on there :)

Do whatever you feel comfortable with, I suppose it does depend how close you are. With most friends I have also done something for the groom - eyebrow and nail tidy and back massage or something, as I have felt guilty about giving a present he doesn't get the benefit of! Its also a nice package you can offer to your standard wedding clients.
J

oooo i never thought of the groom before, that is mean isn't it! :lol: something i will def think about adding because who wants mucky nails in their wedding picture?! thank you for all your advice :)

I have always charged friends for wedding makeup & hair the full price that my other clientspay, then everyone knows where they stand and they can as picky and fussy as they want.

true, this is why i stopped giving my friends and family discount for usual treatments because they'd treat me like a beautician but expect the benefits of being a friend or family member, oh gosh this is so confusing, i really don't know what to do....

Just read through this thread and I think you should work out whether she is asking you as you are her friend, she trusts you, has seen your work and likes it etc....OR whether she has asked you because she will get it cheaper!!!
When you have worked it out, then you will know in your heart what to do..if it's the first option, then I would be flattered, give her a generous discount and charge everyone else the full price (why not?? You are qualified and you're not a charity!!)
If it's the second, then give her a small discount and full price for everyone else etc! If she gets the hump about the small size of the discount, then that will re-affirm your decision not to give her too much off the price, cos she only wanted it done on the cheap!! Simples!! xx

normally I do it free to friends and family (its my present), other people - bridesmaids - pay in full or a reduced rate. Normally if friends come to the salon I change half price. Its very awkward.

well i decided after everyones great advice to just tell her my usual prices and then if she chooses to come with me it will be because she actually wants me and not a cheap option. Then i will offer her a discount nearer the time when it comes to doing the trial. I text her through all my prices 2 nights ago so she could have a think about it and I haven't heard anything back yet....

Latest posts

Back