Asking all Mums - Labour Survival Kit?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh i was thinking earplugs incase she had to go in early. Was thinking of my own experience....went in for obs ended up staying in and having baby. could have done with the earplugs the night they kept me in for obs and the cleanse tone and moisturiser would have come in handy.

Very good point ! Yes you wouldn't want to hear the crying before you've even had your baby, those last few nights of sleep are precious !

Lush Eau Roma water to have sprayed in your face by your obliging birth partner, and some really warm thick socks, you get right cold feet for some reason!
Lansinoh is expensive but the best thing for nips by a country mile and it's good rubbed into your cuticles as well :)
Food and water, in case she has to stay in. Unless she really likes sprouts and corned beef.
Blusher. I have never, ever been so white, I was the same colour as the pillow in all the photos (I did have an emergency section so don't know if that was why, but I looked scary anyway!), next time I'm taking a Pot Rouge and getting my lashes tinted...

Something to drink (fruit juice/cordial) ...after the labours with my oldest two children I was really really thirsty and the lukewarm tapwater I was given by the midwives just didn't cut it :lol:

My third child arrived via c-section , my must haves for that method of delivery where giant soft knickers and nighties (the pj pants that I packed where difficult to get on and off ).My partner had to go and out and buy me a nightie lol x

Ooh just thought. One of those v shaped cushions are a must. I had mine in labour, plus they are perfect for supporting baby when feeding. They are also a lifesaver for when you are lying in bed trying to get to sleep, with the most painful boobs ever!! Aah , the memories are all coming back to me.

Another vote going for socks

Nighties - if it's a section she might end up having a bag fitted for the first 12 hours or so and pj's just won't be do-able but she'll probably still want to stand up and walk about a bit.

Foot cream - I was so grateful having really nice foot cream rubbed in afterwards (and during labour)

DSi/MP3/Portable DVD - different hopsitals have different rules but I had those with me and they kept me going

HUGE knickers!!!

Good bras - bigger than her normal size and soft cotton would get my vote

Hair brush & bobble/band

If she's a tea drinker then some of her favourite tea bags

Moisturiser (face and body)

Fluffy dressing gown (I wanted to snuggle in comfort)

Hopefully she won't need most of the list because it will be a quick in and out for her and baby. Unfortunately, I was in a while with both of mine (before and after) so I had most of my home comforts by the end of it!!!

When i had little man nearly seven years ago i got to have a bath pretty much straight after i gave birth, so some lovely smellies for her to wash in and feel a little more human. Big pants and door stop sanitary towels for comfort. A V pillow would be lovely too. Pj's for after the birth. Flannels to cool her down and lip balm. New toothbrush and toothpaste and some nice slippers.

What a lovely sis you are putting her a little kit together and wish her well for the birth. X x x

WOW! Thank you all so much for taking time to share your experiences, there are some great ideas mentioned, looks like I will do her a labour survival suitcase lol.
The baby is well & truly kitted out so this is just for my sister to help make her experience as comfortable & easy as possible.
Please keep the great ideas coming xxx

Apart from the other suggestions - the right money for a TV card. You have to pay for so many hours viewing when I was in so this is handy. Some women are in so quick now it may not be necessary but I was in 4 times including labour so watching a bit of TV was great. I found hospital food not so good so some easy snacks to take in would have been nice. :biggrin:

Heres my list:
*Lip balm (I was addicted to mine)

*Boiled sweets (I had to have sugar free was diabetic in pregnancy)

*1x light flannel (face)

*1x dark flannel (lady bits)

*I hated maternity pads (crow bar springs to mind ;) and knickers (made me sweaty!) so used always night time pads and wore 2 (slighty over lapped, they were higher front and back) and wore 2 pairs of normal pants to feel secure.

*socks

*mirror (I watched my baby being born it was amazing)

Hope that helps, my baby was born 22nd Jan 2011 xxx

Latest posts

Back