Asking all Mums - Labour Survival Kit?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMMA AT ELITE

Reaction score
Hi All,

My Sister is 29 weeks pregnant due January 23rd (with my first Niece/Nephew) & I wanted to put together a "Labour Survival Kit" of some must haves to give her as an extra xmas pressie.

So I wondered if you could all tell me the things you couldnt have coped without during your labours?

So far on my list I have;
Lipbalm,
Dextrose/ Glucose tablets
Hairband
Flannel
Wetwipes
Small packet of biscuits

Any advice, tips & answers will be greatly welcome.

Many thanks,
An excited Auntie-To-Be (78 days to go!) x

23 Jan - what a great day (lol my bday!).

I sailed thro my labours, so not too much help, but maybe a cd player and some nice relaxing music - similar to what you might play in salon? Or maybe some of her favourite music tracks? New pj's? Slippers? Rented "tens" machine?

Maybe some nipple cream if she gonna breast feed? Dummy for baby (depends on her thoughts on this tho), skin moisturiser for her own use? Small "toilet bag" with all essentials, inc oral care?

I know you local to me - is your sis local too? If so, is she going to Queens at Romford? If so, one of my clients who is due in next couple weeks has been told to take own pillow in coz they have apparently not got enough to meet demand ???????? And was also told to take food in - although it didnt specify whether for baby or mother :-(

I remember another thing about my births now, for after - CHOCOLATE! Had massive craving after 3rd baby!

hth and you gonna be super auntie! Enjoy!

ps, if you like your brother in law, ensure your sis's nails are VERY short lol!

Hi All,
My Sister is 29 weeks pregnant due January 23rd (with my first Niece/Nephew) & I wanted to put together a "Labour Survival Kit" of some must haves to give her as an extra xmas pressie.
So I wondered if you could all tell me the things you couldnt have coped without during your labours?
So far on my list I have;
Lipbalm,
Dextrose/ Glucose tablets
Hairband
Flannel
Wetwipes
Small packet of biscuits
Any advice, tips & answers will be greatly welcome.
Many thanks,
An excited Auntie-To-Be (78 days to go!) x

AWESOME idea :)

Not all hospitals allow the same things... so I'm just gonna throw some ideas at ya

- Altoids curiously strong mints (great for nausea, because they're not sweet. I was nauseaous during first labour) and lollypops since you're not allowed to eat or drink.
- Sodium docusate tablets (or similar) for easing 'bowel movements' because afterwards, they pump you full of iron and the last thing you want to do is work too hard at something.... if you know what I mean....
- inflatable donut (for sitting on, just in case)
- journal to write in, if it takes a while (journal addressed to the baby to read when she grows up, mom can start while she's in labour)
- Ear plugs (so she can get some sleep while her neighbors are making a racket)
- crossword puzzles and/or junk-trashy magazines that don't require too much concentration
- Almond oil for her skin that will be dry
- Extra pillow (hospital pillows SUCK) and nice comfy fuzzy socks
- Something meaningful to 'focus' on while in labour. I used a picture of my Nana who couldn't be there.
- Air freshner of some kind (citrusy to be refreshing or lavender for soothing?) to counteract that yukky disinfectant smell of hospitals

ok, brainfart.
Ran outta ideas. Too tired LOL
hth's

Here are my thoughts, disposable camera, Arnica tablets, some magazines? The arnica tablets worked really well for me. Some nice bath/shower gel. Mum to 3, youngest being 10 months. If I think of anything else I'll let you know! X

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

Lucozade for after or full fat coke to get your sugar back.

And hair bands! You dont want your hair sticking to your face whilst pushing!!!

Drugs.
If you find where to buy the gas and air let me know... thats good stuff! :lol:

All I wanted was water to sip most of the time, oh and some nice fluffy socks to keep my feet warm.

How about some nice pjs/slippers for on the ward too?
Some lavender oil to put in the bath after was on my list too- the first time around the hospital did it for me, second time they didn't, its a nice touch and helps with something- healing I think.

Water spray - I had my son 8 years ago and found it a godsend during labour - just to freshen up - can't remember what it's brand name aquacool ? Majicool!!!! That's it !!! Fruit squash was well received too!! Nice nighties too !

Could not have done without my mp3 player! I used some brilliant cds called: natal hypnotherapy by maggie howell throughout my pregancy, and they do a birth music cd which i played on a loop for my 30 hour labour!!! Hubby could not prise it away from me!! One product you Must get: bio-oil - 2 babies and no stretch marks!! Fab stuff hth Xxx

Sent from my X10i using SalonGeek

What a lovely idea! I would suggest getting some maternity pads and breast pads, maybe a stress ball (so her birthing partner can get a break from getting their hand crushed lol), maybe a book of baby names if she hasn't got any names and one of those exercise balls (they can help engage the baby and also help during labour too)xx

Drugs!! hahaha that made me laugh! Epidural was the drug of my choice, oh and diamorphine!

Breast pads are a must if she's going to breast feed! You can't have enough of these as boobies leak!!! ;)

Large, thick towels (not the ones you use to have a wash), not your thin Always ones, the thicker ones also provide a little bit of cushioning if you know what I mean!!

Would also second one of those foam cushions to sit on - I had to have an episiotomy - ouch, ouch and OUCH! :eek:

Sorry my suggestions were a little more necessity than luxury! hahaha

Oh god this has made me smile!!

Breast pads even if your bottle feeding, & if u are take some formula & bottles as some hospitals are very very funny about giving you formula.

And your phone charger!!

Lol memories, socks! your feet can get cold whist the fresh air is wafting around the rest of your bits ;) also after my last baby I forgot to take towels out on my first visit to my granny's so she gave me a tena pad (bless her) well it was amazing! I'd buy these for the next time :)

Big pants! Im talking the huge ones that come up to your tummybutton!

These are a must for comfort after birth especially if she requires a c-section xx

Sent from my E15i using SalonGeek

Get in the zone and she'll be fine. Lipbalm is good as gas and air really dries your mouth and definitely some drink. For afterwards, ear plugs (its very noisy in maternity wards) - she'll still hear her baby but not everyone's else's. Big, comfy knickers, lots of maternity pads and a few spare pj's.

I actually love giving birth. It's an amazing experience and incredibly empowering as a woman. Pain is good as you are one step closer to meeting your beautiful baby. Good luck xxxx

Hemaroid cream lol u never know all that pushing can cause piles I got them lol and my mum had packed some it was brilliant stopes me having to ask for some lol defo breast pads that's was my one god send xx

Cold Drinks / snacks / tea bags / hot chocolate sachets (hospitals vary I'm sure .. But its nice to have the choice of your preferred drinks and snacks!)

Lightweight (cotton/jersey) wraparound dressing gown for easy skin-to-skin and breastfeeding :) Lots of feeding tops and nighties don't unbutton low enough to give baby lots of access to the breast area!

Incontinence pants - big comfy knickers + maternity pads all in one!!
(disposable pants... If you pack them try a pair on first, they're often not as big / stretchy / comfy as you might want!!)

For baby .. The babygros that have fold-over / built-in scratch mitts are great .. Scratch mitts never stay on!!

Baby wipes .. Although cotton wool and water is best for babies bottom for the first weeks / months .. Baby wipes are incredible for cleaning up all the inevitable spills and messes!

Re: the above comment about taking your own formula and bottles - some hospitals have a policy whereby they will only recommend using their pre-packaged formula .. So check with your hospital first!

Plenty of money in change in case you need a trip to the nearest vending machine! (partners often aren't provided for when it comes to refreshments!!)

are you thinking for her or for baby?

I would suggest rescue remedy pastilles that she can suck and her partner can too to destress.

for mum

Deffo ear plugs.

some slippers.

Some hygiene gel.

some facial wipes.

mini cleanser toner and moisturiser.

a washbag with a toothbrush and toothpaste.

sanitary towels.

for baby

cotton wool to top and tail.

tissues and cotton buds.

scratch mitts.

Just want to say fantastic suggestions out there. Wish I had these lists when I gave birth.
I strangely got very attached to my hospital gown, opens at the back. Wouldn't take it off afterwards. Had to be coaxed out of it.
Must have been the shock!! ;)

An absolute must is a pillow !!!

My OH went home almost as soon as I had my baby to get a pillow as the hospital only gave me one that was flat as a pancake, apparently it was there policy ! A nice comfy dressing gown and pyjamas would be good to.

A couple of things to remember, If the mother is intending to breast feed then she won't be able to drink lucozade, coke etc, unless they have changed the guidelines they weren't recommended 2 1/2 years ago. Also im not sure how the ear plugs will work as she wouldn't be able to hear the baby crying for the feed ?

An absolute must is a pillow !!!

My OH went home almost as soon as I had my baby to get a pillow as the hospital only gave me one that was flat as a pancake, apparently it was there policy ! A nice comfy dressing gown and pyjamas would be good to.

A couple of things to remember, If the mother is intending to breast feed then she won't be able to drink lucozade, coke etc, unless they have changed the guidelines they weren't recommended 2 1/2 years ago. Also im not sure how the ear plugs will work as she wouldn't be able to hear the baby crying for the feed ?
Oh i was thinking earplugs incase she had to go in early. Was thinking of my own experience....went in for obs ended up staying in and having baby. could have done with the earplugs the night they kept me in for obs and the cleanse tone and moisturiser would have come in handy.

Latest posts

Back