At my wits end trying to find/keep staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miss amy

Reaction score
I need a little rant, please forgive me. I have a salon, city centre location, am fairly easy going, love my Job & I simply cannot find decent staff to rent chairs that are motivated and have a good work ethic. Whilst they are self employed they are still representing my salon.

On sat had to get rid of a staff member who didn't turn up last sat, was 40 mins late for a client that she didn't know she had in on weds. My response to this was that she needed to download the ovatu app which we have been telling her to get for months or text someone the day before to see what time her first client is in.

In the mean time this client had only been once before, was getting very annoyed with me, said it was very unprofessional, wouldn't be back etc & left after 40 mins of waiting. He had only been once before & assured me he wouldn't be back. When I spoke to her about this all she could say was that she didn't know she had someone in. Less than 3 weeks ago we had a team meeting about cleanliness, professionalism, client care etc(all aimed at her as I didn't really want to single her out) & then she pulls this stunt. Didn't come back for afternoons client, leaving me again in a position to explain. Absolutely disgusted. Full day at salon on sat and she doesn't turn up.

Just seem so unlucky with staff, had thieves, people who take an inch regarding rent free periods, % basis splits happy to sit on their arses & not do anything then when you put their rent up after a year they leave! fed up of having to explain to clients that yet another one has gone.

Really getting to me!

Sorry for rant xx

I need a little rant, please forgive me. I have a salon, city centre location, am fairly easy going, love my Job & I simply cannot find decent staff to rent chairs that are motivated and have a good work ethic. Whilst they are self employed they are still representing my salon.

On sat had to get rid of a staff member who didn't turn up last sat, was 40 mins late for a client that she didn't know she had in on weds. My response to this was that she needed to download the ovatu app which we have been telling her to get for months or text someone the day before to see what time her first client is in.

In the mean time this client had only been once before, was getting very annoyed with me, said it was very unprofessional, wouldn't be back etc & left after 40 mins of waiting. He had only been once before & assured me he wouldn't be back. When I spoke to her about this all she could say was that she didn't know she had someone in. Less than 3 weeks ago we had a team meeting about cleanliness, professionalism, client care etc(all aimed at her as I didn't really want to single her out) & then she pulls this stunt. Didn't come back for afternoons client, leaving me again in a position to explain. Absolutely disgusted. Full day at salon on sat and she doesn't turn up.

Just seem so unlucky with staff, had thieves, people who take an inch regarding rent free periods, % basis splits happy to sit on their arses & not do anything then when you put their rent up after a year they leave! fed up of having to explain to clients that yet another one has gone.

Really getting to me!

Sorry for rant xx

Just wanted to say keep your chin up. It's tough going.

re sacking member of staff for not turning up on a saturday - you said she was self employed? Therefore she can come and go as she pleases and doesn't have to come in if she doesn't want to.

Do you want staff or self employed? Everything you are describing is an employed member of staff.

My self employed girl has her own diary (which lives in the salon, I'll take appointments in her behalf if she isn't there), manages all her own money, pays me a fixed rent at the end of the week and comes and goes as she pleases.

My employes staff work set hours, we share a diary and clients, they are responsible for the cleanliness of the salon outwith their working area, and if they turn up unclean to work, that's my responsibility. If a self employed "staff" member doesn't take the initiative to clean the toilet or the mirrors etc, then that's their prerogative (although my SE girl chips in which is great but not expected)

I suggest if you want self employed staff, they run their own diary, take their own money, come and go as they please. If they don't wanna come up in until lunchtime and miss out on potential clients, that's their problem. But if you are booking new clients in with them and you are treating them like employed staff, you would be better to employ.

Kim

I agree if your self employed it's your right to sit on your arse and do nothing if you want to.
You used the word 'team' I would suggest, as above, what you really want is employed stylist who work the way you mange them, to your standards.

Technically that client is hers, I don't agree that she should be pissing people off but you want control and you can't have it both ways.

I agree finding good staff can be a big challenge, out stylists and therapists are out biggest asset. So team building and staff retention are critical issues.

So many salon owners make the choice over employed of rent a seat. If a salon goes the rent a seat route then it should be in accordance with HMRC guidelines:

VTAXPER69100 - Particular trades: Hairdressing: Guidelines agreed with the National Federation of Hairdressers

As stated earlier Rent a Seat are self employed and separates businesses. If you see your salon as having a USP, standards, consistency and ownership of client lists, then your stylists should be employed.

IMO the best way to recruit the right people is to train your staff, but that's a long term investment. Taking time over who you take on is critical as well as having probationary periods.

I also find it difficult to hire the right people, and it has taken to few years to build a stronger team.

She is self employed. Pays set rent. Buys own products, takes own money, chooses hours. We take bookings for her when salon is open. When she's not turning up for a "salon" client that we have booked in for her & they aren't happy and shouting at me and claims it's unprofessional and saying he's not coming back etc I think unfortunately it does become my problem whether they're self employed or not.

I am aware of the guidelines between SE & E but even as a self employed group of people you still have to work as a team to keep a salon running smoothly. When they say they will be in and aren't I feel it's an entirely different issue.

Latest posts

Back