back wax

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estherlou

Reaction score
hi guys, i had a guy in today for a back wax and i have to say i have never seen anything like it,:eek: i've seen very hairy backs before but never so densely packed and so coarse, the only way i could really describe it would be that it was more like the hair growth you'd expect on a really dense pubic area, all around his neck was the same as the hairs on his head:eek: i decided it would be best to trim first, this guy was desparate to have it down as he was so self conscious about his body.
i felt so sorry for him he found it agony i was as quick as possible, he needed to take breaks here and there, had lots of aloe vera gel on hand but have to say felt exhausted at the end of it, i didn't enjoy inflicting that amount of pain poor bugger!
how do you guys find back waxing, this took me just under 50 mins to do including his shoulders as he had to take breaks:confused:

Hi,I usually recommend that they come back every 4 weeks and that they will definately find it easier IF they return regularly.

You did the right thing in trimming,I had lots of hair at the start of his treatments and now things have greatly improved and he finds it nowhere near as painful.

I dont give my guys breaks,I just get on with the task in hand,no matter how hairy,I think it would be worse for them when they know what is in store,having a break and then me starting again.:eek: .All the guys I wax,be it chest or backs(dont do SCB) know that I will work as fast as I can,usually takes me approx 20 to 25 mins and I normally feel like I have run a marathon,lol.

You sound like you did a good job.:green:

It usually takes me about 25 mins to do a back wax too, I don't give them any breaks either - the ladies having a hollywood get no breaks so neither do the men!:green:
I've not come across a very very hairy back yet, though I have waxed a turkish blokes legs(he plays alot of sports), my god they were so hairy i had to get one of the hairstylists to come up and go over them with the clippers first because trimming with scissors got me nowhere!

Well done Esther!
I think if you wanted and he wanted to take breaks so be it...if he was happy with the result no matter how long it took then the job was in hand i say.:hug:

I once had a VERY nice feeling of me being particularly twisted of waxing my dentists back...he walked in one day and was VERY surprised to see me!:eek:

How i "went to town" on his back let me tell you:eek: :eek: :!: :!:

Anyway Esther have a glass of wine on me:green: ...and lots of aloe vera gel too!!l

thanks guys for your comments, you're right about it being tiring, great for the arm muscles though!!

Hi

I do my bf's he has 54 inch chest, the first time I did it, it took me 1.5 hrs, with cutting back the hair first, but that's with him yelling etc :lol:, do it regularly about every 4 weeks still takes about an hour though :eek:

He plays rugby and the other boys in the team won't have it done - he told them it was too painful :lol:, although he is good advert, as the other players regularly have manicure and pedicure's

Ju x

Hey, well done you! :D It can indeed feel like a marathon the first few times you get a Yeti through the door, but as the folks above said you'll soon get it down to 20 minutes or so and will even come to relish the challenge!

Quick tip: if you're not already doing so, cover one entire side of the back with wax before you start to remove anything, that way you can be superfast with your removal, and it's more bearable for the customer! :D

You were right to trim first, and clippers are a godsend for large areas like the back, chest and men's legs! The back and chest can be prone to breakouts on chaps, so warn him of this and send him away with instructions to use an anti-bacterial skin cleanser and/or add a cup of Dead Sea salts to his bathwater for the next few days, which can help prevent breakouts and clear up any pimples that do appear. It's also vital that he follows your aftercare advice about avoiding heat, friction, etc - so absolutely no gym work, sports or other exercise for 24 hours!

And, as Babs has already said - get him in like clockwork every 4-6 weeks and he'll soon notice the difference in terms of discomfort and regrowth. Men are really loyal waxing customers - treat us right and we're customers for life! :D

Andy x

Thats some sound advice there Andy...i wish my husband would get his back waxed...he hasnt alot but ive pleaded with him,practically begged him,purely for my selfish reasons i suppose!:green:

hes had it done once and went through the roof.:eek:
I in typical fashion screamed obscenities which didnt help much i know.
:rolleyes:

Hey, well done you! :D It can indeed feel like a marathon the first few times you get a Yeti through the door, but as the folks above said you'll soon get it down to 20 minutes or so and will even come to relish the challenge!

Quick tip: if you're not already doing so, cover one entire side of the back with wax before you start to remove anything, that way you can be superfast with your removal, and it's more bearable for the customer! :D

You were right to trim first, and clippers are a godsend for large areas like the back, chest and men's legs! The back and chest can be prone to breakouts on chaps, so warn him of this and send him away with instructions to use an anti-bacterial skin cleanser and/or add a cup of Dead Sea salts to his bathwater for the next few days, which can help prevent breakouts and clear up any pimples that do appear. It's also vital that he follows your aftercare advice about avoiding heat, friction, etc - so absolutely no gym work, sports or other exercise for 24 hours!

And, as Babs has already said - get him in like clockwork every 4-6 weeks and he'll soon notice the difference in terms of discomfort and regrowth. Men are really loyal waxing customers - treat us right and we're customers for life! :D

Andy x

great tips there andy, thanks, especially about covering one whole side with wax, i'll definately do that next time xx:)

hi

agree totally with axiom about putting wax on all one side

when i first started doing my husbands back - it took me about 45 mins and i wouldnt say he was particularly hairy (well not compared to some people i have seen) (but he still chickens out of chest wax - the big wimp) - have got it down to 15 mins now

but given amount of hair that was mentioned on your client and that he kept wanting breaks -i think it would have taken most people same amount of time if not longer - think you did really well and agree that it will get easier and faster for you to do if they keep coming back

get him to take a pain killer 1/2 half hour before he comes to you next time lol

nicola
x

hi

agree totally with axiom about putting wax on all one side

when i first started doing my husbands back - it took me about 45 mins and i wouldnt say he was particularly hairy (well not compared to some people i have seen) (but he still chickens out of chest wax - the big wimp) - have got it down to 15 mins now

but given amount of hair that was mentioned on your client and that he kept wanting breaks -i think it would have taken most people same amount of time if not longer - think you did really well and agree that it will get easier and faster for you to do if they keep coming back

get him to take a pain killer 1/2 half hour before he comes to you next time lol

nicola
x

:green: good tip with the painkillers, think he would have prefered a sedative!:green:

:green: good tip with the painkillers, think he would have prefered a sedative!:green:

Just give him a bottle of whisky with a straw and you'll have no problems! :lol:

If he finds it painful suggest he takes some painkillers just before he comes in.

Deb379

I am not a waxing person. I learnt waxing but cannot bring myself to inflict that much pain on another human for money LOL. Here is the one time that I waxed a male body.
This is about my oldest son now 21 but was 18 at the time.

On a Sunday, i just got back from grocery shopping and pulling sacks from the trunk of my car , yelling for the boys to come out and carry them in for me.

Daniel shows up on the front porch. He has this look of total pain. I look up at him and ask what is wrong..
He just looks at me and says" I have a problem" of course all emotions run thru me in seconds. What? I ask.
He lifts his shirt and says...I tried to wax my chest but I can't get the wax off and now my shirt is sticking to me!!:eek:

I look at his chest which is quite hairy for a 18 year old and just about peed myself.
Here is this shy boy with two bare bright red spots on his chest, just like the movie "40 year old virgin" with wax still attached in places.

After, getting my laughter and giggles under control, we precede to the bathroom where I question what he did.
He found my wax. And preparing to go to the Philippines for a month didn't want all the body hair to go with him.
He said he actually read the directions (which of course of made for a experienced wax therapist)
So it didn't mention the hints of the use of powder before applying. It didn't mention using oil afterwards to get rid of the residue and excess wax. And the most important part...make sure the hair is no longer than 1/2 inch long max. His was about one inch long or longer

I am still giggling as he is glaring at me. I manage to get the wax off of him but he will not allow me to do anymore at that point. He is in enough pain for the moment.Traumatized!
After putting the food away and running to clean the salon. I come home and ask him if he is ready to get the rest done. He says NO!. So later in the afternoon, I approach him again. He hesitates ..then says "NO!".

I have to laugh because I know he is still smarting from that morning.

Finally after dinner, he announces he is ready. We go into the bathroom and I explain to him what I am about to do (clipper his chest hair down a bit) and what he needs to do, (not to swing at me)
It is a painful experience and funny comical all in one.
As he is placing his hands on the walls with a washcloth in his mouth to keep from screaming. I am on my knees placing wax and ripping it off his chest.

What a Picture that would have made if he hadn't swung at his brother while he was trying to take a picture. LOL
ahhh but it is written down in his baby book in ink as a Remember When moment.
Sorry this is so long but I just had to share that special moment.:D

Question:
What causes the blood spots when waxing something like the back?
I have heard stories about it and when waxing my sons chest , he had a couple of spots come up that were like bleeding slightly where the hair came out.
Was wondering if this was normal or was something to do with the way the waxing was done? Or can it be prevented?

Question:
What causes the blood spots when waxing something like the back?
I have heard stories about it and when waxing my sons chest , he had a couple of spots come up that were like bleeding slightly where the hair came out.
Was wondering if this was normal or was something to do with the way the waxing was done? Or can it be prevented?

It's not unusual for some chaps to get a few little blood spots after a chest or back wax, and particularly affects first-time waxees with very coarse hair.

Same principle as underarm and bikini waxing: the hair is coarser/thicker and has a very efficient blood supply, so the blood that would normally feed the bulb simply pools in the space left behind by the hair. It will stop bleeding almost as soon as it starts and can simply be wiped away with cleanser at the end of the treatment - most clients won't even be aware that it happens unless it's pointed out to them.

Latest posts

Back