bad skin problems?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnieme

Reaction score
hi just wondering if anyone can help me?

For years i have suffered with really dry skin.Ihave tried using moisturises lots of different brands, but my skin reacts to them, it eds up causing really bad acne i bought some quinederm cream to clear the acne but it dried my skin out terribly.This is now starting to cause scarring and dark blemishes. I went to my gp but cant figure out why this is happening after being perscribed various medicenes and creams to no avail. I try to cover it up but it shows through could anyone advice me on anything to help reduce the scarring/blemishes?.Also a good foundation?. It is embarrasing sometimes to go out i'm about to give up on my skin.:cry:

thanks all.

I have a similar problem Hun ,
I had to stop using Quiniderm years ago ,all my skin peeled badly
I have terrible acne scarring ,
I once tried pure vitamin E oil from Superdrug,its about £2.00 a bottle and lasts forever,my sister used it too ,and had good results within a few weeks..
now I use Bodyshop vitamin E skincare range ,and also their concealer and also the foundation ,it gives great coverage and lasts all day ,most foundations rub off my nose and cheeks after a little while ,but this stays put !
I'm sure you'll get some good advice from the skin geeks ,just thought id share my experience :lol: xxx

thanks i will pop into body shop never thought of going there. thanks again for your help.

no problem hun ..I'm a Bodyshop consultant,so I often get new products.if theres anything you need to know about any of the products just giz a shout.and I'll help where I can ,I've got a huge folder full of info on the whole range ..dont want to sound like Im peddal pushing though hhahaha so you know where I am if you need anything xx

hi just wondering if anyone can help me?

For years i have suffered with really dry skin.Ihave tried using moisturises lots of different brands, but my skin reacts to them, it eds up causing really bad acne i bought some quinederm cream to clear the acne but it dried my skin out terribly.This is now starting to cause scarring and dark blemishes. I went to my gp but cant figure out why this is happening after being perscribed various medicenes and creams to no avail. I try to cover it up but it shows through could anyone advice me on anything to help reduce the scarring/blemishes?.Also a good foundation?. It is embarrasing sometimes to go out i'm about to give up on my skin.:cry:

thanks all.

try a tinted moisturiser instead of a foundation, as foundation on dry skin will flake and make your skin look patchy (i get dry patches on my cheeks) also if you use a blusher or bronzer try a cream version they will stay more moist on your skin an improve the appearance...if you have bad blemishes or scarrs have a look for dermablend make up its like a cream make up that you set its fantastic for covering up! i think you can buy a small sample pallet of colours from ellisons.co.uk or if not search dermablend hth's x

To help with dry skin, you could try drinking lots of water and eat a healthy diet - but if you do that aldready then perhaps a supplement could help.

My skin changes to dry/very dry over the winter months and I blame the central heating at home and the car then the cold weather outside. I get a very flakey patchy forehead.

I use creamy cleansers and use a diluted toner and a moisture mask to help rehydrate. I put 2 different night creams on (one is a gel) and its pretty good for the morning but as the day wears on my skin starts feeling uncomfortable and dry. Depends on the weather really.

Its a pain in bot.

i have started using the boots number 7 day and night cream this is quite good my skin has been better with it.
they also do a microdermabrasion exfoliator with a hand held battery powdered buffer!!! eek lol it does work just vibrates in your head abit lol

i noticed somebody advised to drink water to help with dry skin, so i just wanted to clear something up, there is a massive difference between dry skin and dehydrated skin. dry skin=lack of sebum, the skins natural oil. dehydrated skin=lack of water. so if you have DRY skin your skin isn't producing enough sebum so you will probably prefer a richer moisturiser. If your skin is deydrated then drink plenty of water. Alot of therapists get this confused.You can still have dehydrated skin even if your skin is oily!!
Product wise, i recommend Matis Fundamental Beautifying Cream, its a gorgeous cream that is very rich in texture but it contains an ingrediant called mimosa which is a plant from mexico and is incredibly healing.
HTH! xx

i noticed somebody advised to drink water to help with dry skin, so i just wanted to clear something up, there is a massive difference between dry skin and dehydrated skin. dry skin=lack of sebum, the skins natural oil. dehydrated skin=lack of water. so if you have DRY skin your skin isn't producing enough sebum so you will probably prefer a richer moisturiser. If your skin is deydrated then drink plenty of water. Alot of therapists get this confused.You can still have dehydrated skin even if your skin is oily!!
Product wise, i recommend Matis Fundamental Beautifying Cream, its a gorgeous cream that is very rich in texture but it contains an ingrediant called mimosa which is a plant from mexico and is incredibly healing.
HTH! xx

You are absolutely right but the biggest ptoblem is - when analysising skin is working out when a skin is dry or de-hydrated or both - please give us your advice on how to tell!

I'm wondering whether you may have acne rosacea.Do a search on google and see if you think it could be you.

I have had a terrible acne breakout and this is due to my changing the pill. I went from Dianette back to Microgynon 30 and nobody told me that this could cause boils, acne, spots etc, if I had've known I wouldnt have gone on it in the 1st place.
Its mainly on the jaw line and chin area, its starting to get me down a bit now as I have never really suffered with spots of any kind.

Sorry for gatecrashing the thread but I will be watching with interest to see if anybody comes up with some acne/spot solutions. xx

You are absolutely right but the biggest ptoblem is - when analysising skin is working out when a skin is dry or de-hydrated or both - please give us your advice on how to tell!

when i do skin analysis i always ask how much water they drink a day, 9 times out of 10 they dont drink the recommended 1.5 - 2 litres ( i don't even drink that much and i definatly have deydrated skin!) so this would mean they have dehydration, ask them if they have the central heating on high and having the car heater up high can suck the moisture from your skin too, also you can sometimes see a few very fine lines around the eyes that are caused by dehydration.
I ask them how thier skin is throughout the day, if they get any shiny-ness (associated with oily/combination skintypes, sometimes thier skin can be dry in the morning and oily tzone by the afternoon, in which case i would treat them as having combination) or if thier skin feels tight, whether or not they suffer from flaky skin. Feel your clients skin to see if it dry to touch. Dry skin can often get sensitive aswell, especially this time of year. Most people know if they suffer from dry skin as they have to use a lot of moisturiser for thier skin to feel comfortable. The mistake they make is thinking dry/dehydrated mean the same thing. They need treating differently.

You have to really ask them alot of questions when you do your skin analysis, if they say they drink 2 litres of water a day but say they have dehydrated skin you can educate them.
HTH xx

Thanks for all your advice some very good tips.I also had a look on google, which i have been doing for years the problem is some of my symptons match with things in different problems......sorry if thats confusing.
I also have a very good diet and drink lots of water, my skin is not dehydrated it is dry.I am also allergic to lanolin which is used in alot of products.

I will try and find a photo out of when it is really bad so you can have a look..as i find sometimes it's hard to tell just by being told the symptons.
Thankyou all of you i really appreciate the advice. It's nice to know i'm not the only sufferer out there.

xx

I have had a terrible acne breakout and this is due to my changing the pill. I went from Dianette back to Microgynon 30 and nobody told me that this could cause boils, acne, spots etc, if I had've known I wouldnt have gone on it in the 1st place.
Its mainly on the jaw line and chin area, its starting to get me down a bit now as I have never really suffered with spots of any kind.

Sorry for gatecrashing the thread but I will be watching with interest to see if anybody comes up with some acne/spot solutions. xx

hey
just wanted to say that since i swapped from the pill to the injection i get REALLY oily skin, i don't get blemishes that often though.
I know that until i come off the injection all i can do is try to control the oilyness.

I feel your pain hunnee!! xx

One of the ways i have been taught to recognise dehydrated skin is to do a dehydration test; Place the palm of your hand along the clients jaw line, then gently push upwards, if the client has lots of fine lines visible then this is usually a sign of dehydration.

I probably haven't explained this very well but hopefully you will understand what i mean :green: hths.

One of the ways i have been taught to recognise dehydrated skin is to do a dehydration test; Place the palm of your hand along the clients jaw line, then gently push upwards, if the client has lots of fine lines visible then this is usually a sign of dehydration.

I probably haven't explained this very well but hopefully you will understand what i mean :green: hths.

Thanks for the tips Juliette - in my years at college no tutor has been fully able to help me understand how to identify the difference by looking.

Thanks for the tips Juliette - in my years at college no tutor has been fully able to help me understand how to identify the difference by looking.

Me either i didn't even know that you could be dehydrated & oily until i did my training with Decleor, think it was them that showed me the dehydration test to.

Learnt more on product training than i did at college i think ! lol

you need to increase your water intake a lot also when you shower put vitamin cream on a sponge and dry yourself with the sponge thus keeping water in but the drinking water will make a massive difference i think at least 5 pints a day

I know my skin is dehydrated because my forehead gets quite grainy looking (those fine lines that have been mentioned).

Although there is a difference between the 2 I find that a water rich moisturiser is no better than a richer moisturiser. One of the worst things you can do at home is leaving the skin to dry naturally after washing or being in the bathor even using a toner, once the water has evaporated - it will have taken away the vital moisture from the skin.

Roll on the springtime.!!

i cant use alot of moisturises out there as my skin reacts to them. i find my skin is worse just before and during my period. can your skin be dehydrated even if you have a healthy diet and drink lots of water?

i have been thinking about a glylocol peel to rid the dead skin cells and i read it can also help with bad skin, acne ect.

Latest posts

Back