Beauty Prices - North & South %

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautyandme

Reaction score
Hi, not sure if this is in the correct spot. Hopefully you can understand what I am trying to ask.

As far as I am aware, If a therapist in the north of England buys a Bottle of ...... and the same bottle is brought by a southern therapist. Its costs the same, VAT and postage.

I presume this is the same for electricity/water. If your mobile, your car tax costs the same. Furniture costs the same. A Uniform costs the same. (of course this is only the same if brought from the same company)

I understand that rent is suppose to be cheaper in the north than in the south, but I guess this depends on how big your place of work is. So up north you could be paying £600 amonth for a salon and someone in the south may pay 400.00 per month, as their salon is smaller.

A northern therapist may use a product like Decleor in her salon, she will pay the same as a southern therapist for her products, but wont charge as much for her service.

Hope your getting the idea here. LOL

Anyway my point is (and this may be a very stupid question), why do Northern Salons/Mobiles or work from home therapist. Why are your services cheaper?

A therapist that works from home could charge 3.00 for an eyebrow shape, but in the south she could charge 10.00, her costs are the same.

I know that some people will say that wages are higher in the south, but again it depends what job you do.

Hope you can shed some light on my query.

thanks

I honestly don't think they are that much different. I think all areas have different prices dependant on the affluency of the area and then technicans charge by skill and time.

Yes, for example I think that prices are much higher in central London....this is pretty determined by rent and commuting cost, But I think they are higher in most city centres than the outlying area, and I know of several areas in the south that charge considerably less than some in the north, as their clientele has less disposbale income.

I, for example, have just moved North and put my prices up slightly as the area can take a slightly higher price. Where i was in the south the price was kept artificially low by a huge number of NSS and to be honest dodgy mobile technicians who did a quickie course and went out and banged tips on anything that would pay £15 for them. I've 'put right' soooo many of those sets, its unbeleivable!

I understand what you are saying but think it is actually a little misguided.:hug:

Firstly, where I live we have the highest water rates any where in the country! Something we certainly can't shop around for.:rolleyes: Cost of living a usually higher down here too.

In my little area we have some of the lowest wages in the country yet the highest house prices!

It really isn't as simple as saying everything up north cost less and the south is more.

I think Sassys guide to pricing treatments explains the cost requirements very well. There are many variable and I don't think one is region.:)

Not entirely sure how your local authorities work over there, but here, with each shire, they decide the fees and charges for water, rates etc. Within those shires there are areas that are considered more affluent and those that aren't. Some shires charge you through the nose for having the privelege of living in the shire.
Then I suppose it depends on what the therapist chooses to charge. I was walking past a salon a few weeks ago and saw that they charge $90 per hour for a massage. I charge $40 mobile per hour within my shire. Outside the shire I charge $60 per hour. For my price structure, I think about what I would be willing to pay and that's the basis for my prices. So I think a lot of people work their price structure that way.

I understand what you are saying but think it is actually a little misguided.:hug:

Firstly, where I live we have the highest water rates any where in the country! Something we certainly can't shop around for.:rolleyes: Cost of living a usually higher down here too.

In my little area we have some of the lowest wages in the country yet the highest house prices!

It really isn't as simple as saying everything up north cost less and the south is more.

I think Sassys guide to pricing treatments explains the cost requirements very well. There are many variable and I don't think one is region.:)

this is a difficult one, but i agree in as much as the cost of living is higher in the south,
the rent i pay on my home is really high, i'm fortunate that my salon rent isn't killer. When you set your prices you have to look at your target demographic and your local competition. when i made my business plan i took all of this into consideration, it may not seem fair to other who charge less but thats business x

Here's my view

I am a northerner, and have lived in the South in various parts of the country.

In fact I did my beauty training in the North and started my business in the South!

The first place I lived in the South wasn't a wealthy one I'd say, in fact probably similar prices to the ones we charge in West Yorkshire.

Then I moved to Hampshire and Surrey, and well the cost of living is more down there so hence prices were higher.

We then moved back to York, where I have kept my Surrey prices successfully. York is higher priced in certain aspects than say a rural town outside Leeds, well this is what my research tells me anyhow.

I price myself on my experience and products used. Also the cost of petrol etc.

Massage I noticed is something that is cheaper in the North, which is good for Northerners not particularly the therapist lol.

I think it's a case of demand and supply also. There aren't many mobile therapists and I suppose we look at each other's prices to set our own.

It's bizarre and I know exactly where you are coming from!!

Here's my view

I am a northerner, and have lived in the South in various parts of the country.

In fact I did my beauty training in the North and started my business in the South!

The first place I lived in the South wasn't a wealthy one I'd say, in fact probably similar prices to the ones we charge in West Yorkshire.

Then I moved to Hampshire and Surrey, and well the cost of living is more down there so hence prices were higher.

We then moved back to York, where I have kept my Surrey prices successfully. York is higher priced in certain aspects than say a rural town outside Leeds, well this is what my research tells me anyhow.

I price myself on my experience and products used. Also the cost of petrol etc.

Massage I noticed is something that is cheaper in the North, which is good for Northerners not particularly the therapist lol.

I think it's a case of demand and supply also. There aren't many mobile therapists and I suppose we look at each other's prices to set our own.

It's bizarre and I know exactly where you are coming from!!

I agree with you entirely. I am a southener (Essex) and have moved up north (East Yorkshire). I think it location in any region. My prices in my salon are higher than my friends down south yet in my town there is a higher percentage of people on min. wage than hers. The difference? My salon is in the centre of town on a main high street, hers is in a residential area. Its all location, location, location, North or South.

Thanks, its an interesting one.

Latest posts

Back