Beauty therapist administering botox/injecting fillers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that HA has excellent tolerance as it naturally occurs in our own bodies and as you say risk of anaphylaxis is probably very rare. I should imagine the general higher risk of anaphylaxis comes from ingesting foods where an individual has developed an allergy.

This is irrelevant. The fact is BT's cannot initiate the emergency treatment. Doctors and Nurses can.

After joining this site and reading this thread i asked skintechs a lot of questions. Infact i sent them a link. Here is james Mcgraths reply......

Isn't it amazing what jealous people say on the internet, even half witted people can hide behind emails, when criticising professionals. People have no idea that there is a prescriber on hand for all the POM courses, since I have been teaching the courses for the past 4 years, unscrupulous troublemakers are about to be challenged.

Please could you forward your business address

Yours

James

i did send him another with more questions, but no reply!!!!!!!

It is a bit strange that blanket emails get sent out with no finer details... Unscrupulous eh? Spoiling it? Nope! I'm interested in protecting people!

Ps if anyone wants to check my credentials you can go on the NMC website and put my pin in; 01i7960e

X

After joining this site and reading this thread i asked skintechs a lot of questions. Infact i sent them a link. Here is james Mcgraths reply......

Isn't it amazing what jealous people say on the internet, even half witted people can hide behind emails, when criticising professionals. People have no idea that there is a prescriber on hand for all the POM courses, since I have been teaching the courses for the past 4 years, unscrupulous troublemakers are about to be challenged.

Please could you forward your business address

Yours

James

i did send him another with more questions, but no reply!!!!!!!
I know Jim and he's a really good injector. He also trains nurses and Dr's as well as therapists. He is the person who initially brought botox to the surface in the UK with Collegenics - very experienced. He is also the one who stands up to his peers telling everyone that therapists are BETTER injectors than nurses/Drs. He should know he teaches them all!

I'm not a beauty therapist, but I do find these threads interesting because the mixed opinions reflect my feelings about the inadequate level of training in my industry.
He is also the one who stands up to his peers telling everyone that therapists are BETTER injectors than nurses/Drs.

From reading many comments on this and other threads, I think many don't realise the underpinning knowledge that is required when dealing with prescription only drugs and this is where the beauty therapist cannot compare. It is unimportant who is the BETTER injector - injecting only plays a very minor part in the knowledge (and qualifications) that are required.

I know Jim and he's a really good injector. He also trains nurses and Dr's as well as therapists. He is the person who initially brought botox to the surface in the UK with Collegenics - very experienced. He is also the one who stands up to his peers telling everyone that therapists are BETTER injectors than nurses/Drs. He should know he teaches them all!
he is also very good at avoiding questions!!

I'm not a beauty therapist, but I do find these threads interesting because the mixed opinions reflect my feelings about the inadequate level of training in my industry.

From reading many comments on this and other threads, I think many don't realise the underpinning knowledge that is required when dealing with prescription only drugs and this is where the beauty therapist cannot compare. It is unimportant who is the BETTER injector - injecting only plays a very minor part in the knowledge (and qualifications) that are required.

Here here!

Agreed

Hi Anna2010

Basically, anyone can give an injection, there are only 2 companies I know who will train beauty therapists, they have both been mentioned here, The Academy of Cosmetic Training and Skin Techs.

It is up to you whether you have a doctor or nurse coming into your salon or whether you train yourself. If you do this you would need insurance which can be obtained!!

What you have to watch out for is if you do decide to train in botox, you would need to have a doctor or nurse prescriber undertake all the consultations on your botox clients before you inject them. If you don't do this you will be practicing illegally and as such will invalidate your insurance.

I heard someone went to a beauty therapist (who will remain nameless) who didn't let the client have a consultation with the prescriber!! She then broke the law and as such she then became responsible for that prescription (as botox is a prescription only medicine) which she cannot do as she is not a prescriber!

So moral of the story:

• Only get botox training from a doctor, dentist of nurse trainer who can train you in medicine as well as the product
  • Get insurance
  • Work with a prescriber so you act legally
If you want any further advise especially relating to the law around this area please PM me.

x

Wondered if you have contact info for the above - am unable to find either online.

Would really appreciate some help in finding Botox (& other non surgical procedures) training for non medical professionals.

Although not medically qualified I do have a science degree in human biology, am a registered public health nutritionist and work in sales of medical devices to neuro and orthopaedic surgeons - hence my knowledge of human P & A is fairly extensive.

Would love to retrain in aesthetics - any help would be most welcome.

Thanks

"brought botox to the surface in the UK" - I am sure the Carruthers would disagree here! This is complete tosh. Sorry - it just is.

He most certainly does not teach us all! Good grief!

"brought botox to the surface in the UK" - I am sure the Carruthers would disagree here! This is complete tosh. Sorry - it just is.

Well said lol

I am a nurse with 10 years experience who is now training to be a BT. Its the same the other way around! If your an experienced BT your have to train for 3 years to become a nurse to do Botox enough said! No one is questioning the intelligence but you have to do the training in each disipline to offer the service.

I am a nurse with 10 years experience who is now training to be a BT. Its the same the other way around! If your an experienced BT your have to train for 3 years to become a nurse to do Botox enough said! No one is questioning the intelligence but you have to do the training in each disipline to offer the service.
But you are completely wrong, you dont have to be a nurse (or a Dr in fact) to do injectables! In fact do you realise that your own regulators are trying to STOP you nurses doing these treatments. Sally Taber (IHAS) has even spoken out recently to say that nurses shouldnt be injecting and there are more and more guidelines been put in place for restriction where its becoming almost impossible for nurses to do injectables or lose your registration.

By the way I did a 2 year BTEC course in Beauty Therapy Sciences and then another 2 years HND following that. Mostly A&P related.

Have you never thought that its the Dr's and Nurses who train the therapists? I dont just think theres a split between the 2 professions, I believe there a split in your own industry on who should be injecting as medics wouldnt train BT's would they?

If he did then maybe there would be less disfigurements and hence prevent the seminars that IHAS have had recently on how to manage claims from injectables!

Maybe he senses something in your emails. Maybe he's been tipped off to this thread?

This is irrelevant. The fact is BT's cannot initiate the emergency treatment. Doctors and Nurses can.
How ironic, you sound as if you believe it to be a positive that only nurses can do this? Someone dying in front of you because they cant breathe which could be so easily reversed by an epi pen. Every single one of us should carry one!
Ive just read a story of a guy who died this week because he stood on a hornets nest and was stung 4 times and died. Only 4 times! If anyone had the knowledge and tools to help this guy why not. So what are you saying, we have the tools and the knowledge but have to watch someone slowly dying!

I'm saying you can't legally possess the 'tools' epinephrine pens are prescription only medicines!

Can you lists it's mode of action? Contraindications? Side effects?

Can you give chlorphenamine and hydrocortisone?

NO! And if you had the epi pen obviously you'd try to save someone let's not turn this into a meaningless debate.

The more serious question is how does a BT get their hands on these PRESCRIPTION ONLY drugs?!

But you are completely wrong, you dont have to be a nurse (or a Dr in fact) to do injectables! In fact do you realise that your own regulators are trying to STOP you nurses doing these treatments. Sally Taber (IHAS) has even spoken out recently to say that nurses shouldnt be injecting and there are more and more guidelines been put in place for restriction where its becoming almost impossible for nurses to do injectables or lose your registration.

By the way I did a 2 year BTEC course in Beauty Therapy Sciences and then another 2 years HND following that. Mostly A&P related.

Yes im well aware of this thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back