Beauty therapist administering botox/injecting fillers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nails for u

Reaction score
Is there any bt actually phsically injecting botox or hyalaronic
fillers ,do you insure yourselves with medical malpractice insurance ,did you train with acadamey of cosmetic training do people feel safe in your hands ,do you have health care commission regulation how long have you been practicing this would be interesting to know of your experiences ps not really interested if people think this is wrong etc as i am genuinely interested in knowing if anyone is actually doing this

Is there any bt actually phsically injecting botox or hyalaronic
fillers ,do you insure yourselves with medical malpractice insurance ,did you train with acadamey of cosmetic training do people feel safe in your hands ,do you have health care commission regulation how long have you been practicing this would be interesting to know of your experiences ps not really interested if people think this is wrong etc as i am genuinely interested in knowing if anyone is actually doing this

Ooooh you have opened a huge can of worms here.Do a search on BOTOX and you will find loads and loads of threads on this subject.HTH

IVE:lick: READ THEM BUT IM GENUINELY INTERESTED TO FIND OUT IF ANYONE IS ACTUALLY PHSICALLY A BT DOING THEESE TREATMENTS DO THEY ACTUALLY EXIST I WANT TO HEAR FROM THEM AND THERE EXPERIENCES WHAT THERE TRAINING CONSISTED OF HC REGISTRTATION INSURANCE COSTS I NO PEOPLE ARE GOING TO SAY THEY DONT AGREE OR THEY DO IM JUST INTERESTED IN HEARING FROM THEM DO THEY EXIST OR ARE THEY JUST A MYTH

A well known BT Molly Hanson Steel of Uber Beauty has done this for about 20 years and has campaigned for BT doing these treatments. You may wish to contact her. I also know of BT who administers sclerotherapy as well. Skintechniques is a company that trains BT. It is a highly controversial subject as you have gathered. I hope that a 3 yr degree course will be available for those who wish to tread this path as the only real route is through nursing (believe me I got stick for saying that). The trouble is of course potential side effects and dealing with those who have an adverse reaction but I hope those BT who are doing it are working alongside and are properly supported by medical practitioners.;)

does anyonewho uses this site !!!

As I understand it the only practioners who are legally insured are those who hold a hpc registration and that includes nurses, docs, podiatrists etc,

However, last year and I wish I could remember where! I read of Beauty Therapist Training in this area as long as you were level 3 qualified and they would be able to get insurance. Now the only catch to that I recall was that you were limited to which product you could use, which may jog someones mind

This is an area which I believe a level 3 BT who does undertake continual professional development, adhere to codes of conduct and has appropriate training would be more than equipped and capable to do the job.

I have had a nursing background and trust me...I would question some nursing techniques ive seen in the past.

The comments I have mentioned are my own thoughts and words.

Hi

Basically, anyone can give an injection, there are only 2 companies I know who will train beauty therapists, they have both been mentioned here, The Academy of Cosmetic Training and Skin Techs.

It is up to you whether you have a doctor or nurse coming into your salon or whether you train yourself. If you do this you would need insurance which can be obtained!!

What you have to watch out for is if you do decide to train in botox, you would need to have a doctor or nurse prescriber undertake all the consultations on your botox clients before you inject them. If you don't do this you will be practicing illegally and as such will invalidate your insurance.

I heard someone went to a beauty therapist (who will remain nameless) who didn't let the client have a consultation with the prescriber!! She then broke the law and as such she then became responsible for that prescription (as botox is a prescription only medicine) which she cannot do as she is not a prescriber!

So moral of the story:

• Only get botox training from a doctor, dentist of nurse trainer who can train you in medicine as well as the product
  • Get insurance
  • Work with a prescriber so you act legally
If you want any further advise especially relating to the law around this area please PM me.

x

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know of any BT doing it but know lots of nurses and medical people doing it. This is very dodgy ground as each profession seems to think others shouldn't. One thing is clear though that this topic of BT doing it is not a very favourable one. I heard today that there is a BT in Durham about to open an anti ageing clinic and she admits that she has not had formal training (she was taught by her ex boss), does not own a certificate and does not have insurance!!!!!!!!!!

The words OH MY GOD do not cover it.

Anyone having these treatments done should make sure the person they go to has insurance, is appropriately qualified and is working in line with all legal requirements.

i preform medical tattoo/micropigmentation procedures for two well known private hospital chains and have some extremely high profile clients for laser and chemical peel treatments i am a bt and qualified teacher but not a medical practitioner i work purely on word of mouth and referal have done injectable fillers in the past with awell known company under the super vision of a well known expert consultant dermatologist and this was featured on channel 4 just feel some people value different credentials to others just want to know whos doing what nowadays really

I've just read another post that was stopped in the end because things got quite nasty. It beggars belief that comments on a thread can get quite personal and so derogatory. Anyway, most of the comments were that drs, dentists and nurses should do it.

One person kept questioning why these particular professions should be the ones to do it and the whole thing behind it is that they go through many years training to learn about the human body, how it works in health and in ill health. They know about all the medical conditions, over 20,000 medicines and can recognise and treat the signs of anaphylactic shock which is life threatening.

A bt may learn about the skin, do a bit of A & P in their 1 - 2 years of training and yes whilst they may look at people's skin all day it does not mean they can do a full medical assessment and recognise each group of medicine to see if it is contraindicated.

There are some people out there who will question who is doing their treatments,some would run a mile if you answered a bt, some would run if they found it was a dentist etc. Common ground here is that most people want to go to people who are medically trained, some will want a bargain price and go to the bt down the road who is doing 3 areas for £150 (yes 3 areas for £150).

I wouldn't go to a doctor to have a manicure......

I heard today that there is a BT in Durham about to open an anti ageing clinic and she admits that she has not had formal training (she was taught by her ex boss), does not own a certificate and does not have insurance!!!!!!!!!!

The words OH MY GOD do not cover it.

I'm in durham, any idea where this place is opening?

is she going to be doing treatments? Its not illegal if she is going to be running the clinic and employing fully qualified therapists to do the work for her, but surely she won't be able to get insurance to run the establishment if she is doing the treatments?

I know it was a well known practise to be taught by someone in a premises and then undertake the treatments. A friend of mine run a beauty centre and one therapist was trained, she trained them all to wax, etc and my friend said that they would be covered by insurance as long as the trained therapist worked there. I thought that was a bit suspect but was told that it was common practise!

Perhaps eventually someone will "grow some" and actually answer my questions?

1, To what accredited HABIA / BABTAC / C&G / BT / etc standards are these training programmes offered?

2, What is the process for obtaining and managing 'prescription only' drugs?

3, What minimum BT qualifications are prerequisite to this training?

4, Who insures these programmes and subsequent therapists?

"1", "2", "3", "4". I struggle to make my questions any simpler.

We are an intelligent professional bunch of professionals, yes?

Jason.

But what if the doctor used to be a beauty therapist then you could go for a manicure, if they were offering them lol

There are some highly intelligent beauty therapists out there - that probably know huge amounts of medical information - and would be more than willing to do whatever it took to carry out these treatments by means of extra study - exams etc.

I don't think any beauty therapist should be able to do this treatment that would be plain wrong, just like I don't think any nurse who has a medical qualication should either - but there should/could be some sort of entry exam to be able to study for it, that would be fair. :!:

I have absolutely no desire to carry out these treatments so its not a fight for my right here - its just an opinion, I just feel like that if your a beauty therapist - your only capable of doing a set of brows and someones nails and basically you have no brains - which can be true of some but def not the majority. But there are some wing 'ers in every occupation!!!!:lol: I have a friend who is a thick teacher....but thats a another story :smack:
xx

This is a subject I am fascinated by! Personally I would love to be able to do intectibles. I can understand the squirm at BT doing it but like has been mentioned above, there are some of us out there that are intelligent individuals with an ability of doing more than filing nails!
I think there should be a study option for us to be able to administer the drugs and injectibles.:green: Then after examination and proof that we have a full understanding of the protocalls certification given!

You cannot administer an injection by default of someone else being on the premises. You must have your own insurance and that is a fact, if a claim occurred then the person administering it would not have cover so they would be accountable for paying all the legal fees and compensation.

If you want to wax or file nails without insurance that's still not ideal but any claim arising from that would not be vast surely? Botox is a POM and needs to be prescribed, fillers are medical devices but still have the potential of going wrong, it can lead to necrosis of the skin.

Every bt is not the same but I would question how much medical knowledge a bt can have if they haven't spent years training to be a medical professional.

I have botox done (no surprise from my name ha ha) but would never get it done by a bt, I'm quite happy to stick to my dentist and nurse.

Seems like four questions is far too difficult. Let me try just one.

"Who's the insurance company?"

Perhaps eventually someone will "grow some" and actually answer my questions?

1, To what accredited HABIA / BABTAC / C&G / BT / etc standards are these training programmes offered?

2, What is the process for obtaining and managing 'prescription only' drugs?

3, What minimum BT qualifications are prerequisite to this training?

4, Who insures these programmes and subsequent therapists?

"1", "2", "3", "4". I struggle to make my questions any simpler.

We are an intelligent professional bunch of professionals, yes?

Jason.

Dear Jason, I can only answer number 2 for you;
There are some doctors who are prepered to fill prescriptions for the beauty industry.
For example I know two ladies who run a high end beauty center that include fillers etc on their treatment menu, they also organise plastic surgary holidays to Cyprus.
They are both fully qualified surgary nurses who keep their quals up to date but choose to work with in the beauty industry, it pays way more then the NHS.
They go with people to Cyprus, stay with them through out the clients treatments, fly back with them and remove all stitches etc, unlike a lot of these cheep holidays these ladies make sure that if there are any complications the clients have access to a consultant here in the U.K.
This same consultant writes the prescriptions for the fillers etc that these ladies use on a day to day basis in their clinic.
They are qualified to do so, have all the right insurance, no I don't know the name of the insurance company that they use only that it is from one of the medical insurance groups and to be perfectly honest I would feel safer having this pair giving me injections then I would some doctors, because they DO keep up to date, they DO practice day in and day out and because they DO bother to take the latest courses and exams and have a cleaner establishment then a lot of A&E departments that I've seen.
I would say to a lot of people, do not assume that someone is 'just' anything, find out, don't take their word for it, with all the computer apps out there anyone can knock up a good looking bit of paper.
But equelly there are many people who are trained to do one thing and have addapted that to suit something else.
Also remember that in this country the difference between a seinier practice nurse and a G.P. is one exam!!

imo remote prescribing is seriously dodgy the reason i posted this thread was because i recieved an email from a company with details of a one day botox course and that the company then remote priscribes the drugs for you and arranges your insurance this course appears to be open to any one and this worries me random people attending a one dayer to administer an extremely potent toxin i mean WTF i do feel however that some bts have extensive knowledge and expertise and there will hopefully be some sort of degree course in cosmetic aesthetics treatments maybe with an entry level a and p exam one day not a bl**dy one dayer

Before we get hung up on the "they're a nurse/doctor/dentist therefore they must be good" argument, I'm willing to stick my neck out and say that in my 10 odd years of nursing I saw some absolutely shocking practices carried out by so called professionals.
It was the norm (and it might still be!) to be trained by the "see one, do one, teach one" method.
I neither advocate nor condone this, I might add.
I've had Botox etc, in the past and can truthfully say that the best experience in terms of all round care and results was from a nurse. The doctor was off hand, couldn't wait to get me out of the room, and there was no follow up. The nurse was kind, realistic, compassionate, and phoned me up a few days to check how I was. The doctor had twanged a nerve in my forehead and dismissed me out of hand.

Not all nurses and doctors are infallible. Witness the many cases of heinous crimes committed by them. Beverley Allett, Harold Shipman, Daniel Ubani are all examples of professionals who cared not a jot about their patients.

The best advice is to go by word of mouth recommendation; whether you're looking for a manicurist, a botox practitioner, or a waxer.

The argument of whether you would go to a doctor for a manicure is a spurious one; the potential to cause permanent damage during a manicure is negligible, not so the case with injectables.

Mostly, it's down to the integrity and ethics of the individual practitioner. Personally, I'm not going to flout the law, and I'm not going to risk either the wellbeing of my patients or my reputation.

When I was training to be a beautician a friend of mine, who is a nurse, told me that I had more A&P study than she did!!!

Maybe there should be a degree, for those who want it, in Beauty Therapy which covers a more medically indepth A&P, contra indications, needles, drugs, fillers, lasers etc, times are changing, if you're qualified to give injectables from the beginning with 3 years study with a degree behind you then people will be more protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back