Beauty Therapists = stupid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitty Napalm

Reaction score
OK, apologies for the offensive title, obviously *I* don't think beauty therapists are stupid because I'm training to be one!

But in my experience, it seems to be a common idea that people employed in the beauty industry [I'm talking hairdressers, nail techs etc. also] are unintelligent, that they failed school and just sit around all day filing nails and rubbing creams in.

A while back I did a search on beauty therapy and came across a thread on a student/university forum. A girl was very innocently asking if anyone had done a HNC in beauty therapy and what it was like. Another poster suggested she actually get a 'real higher education qualification' and was generally very snobby about the notion of beauty therapy.

While direct insults like that don't always happen, there does seem to be a prejudice against people in the industry and a misconception of what the jobs entail. I've discussed my course with several people and they have all been 'shocked' at how much science is actually involved and how much theory work I will need to do. Apparently they thought it was all fluffy and girly and no effort at all.

I have also had people surprised at me choosing beauty therapy as a career - they seem disappointed that I didn't do something more 'intelligent.' I'm 24 and therefore a 'mature' student, and they believe that beauty therapy is for dimwitted sixteen-year-olds.

It's worse in conversation with university students who are studying Quantum Physics or something like that - I tell them what I'm studying and they look very obviously amused, and reply - "...Oh. That's nice."
I'm married to a guy who has a PhD in Theoretical Chemistry and they generally look at him wondering why he's with me and not someone 'smarter'!

To be honest I'm pretty sick of other folks' ideas about the beauty industry. I've even had people say that 'Isn't it a bit silly and vacuous to care that much about looks?' I don't think they get it. I've tried explaning how treatments can lead to a feeling of wellbeing which in turn can help with stress, depression etc, but they don't buy it.

Basically I want to show everyone my giant textbook and how much theory is involved just to shut them up! But I don't think it would change what they believe a beauty professional to be.

What opinion do you guys have on this issue? Have you run into people who look down on you for being in the beauty industry? What have you done to change their minds?

xx

Well we're the ones laughing all the way to the bank! How many other careers can you make £50 an hour! :hug: Let them think what they want.

Great post btw, i totally agree with everything said. I'm studying a BnD Beauty Therapy Sciences (III) at college,when ive shown people the assignments and textbooks lots of people have remarked at how *shocked* they were at how much scientific knowledge was involved. I have to explain that a lot of people think that beauty therapists just have to rub in a bit of cream and look like theyr doing something involved. People think 'oh how hard can it be' They don't fully appreciate the thought and hard work involved. I think it depends on the person though, some people can really get where your coming from, some are just totally ignorant towards it. As above, if they want to be blissfully ignorant, let them!

Well we're the ones laughing all the way to the bank! How many other careers can you make £50 an hour! :hug: Let them think what they want.

Exactly!

Yeah this industry attracts some not so intelligents as they think its a 'glam' job and 'easy' career. Its deemed the course that girls from school choose because they don't know what they want to do.

After 3 months of college over 2/3rds of them girls leave because they cannot handle the pace. Although that said, my boyfriends doing a beauty course at the minute and the theory is non existant!! To the point as well whilst painting nails with a crap brush the teacher advised he buy a make up brush as it may be easier for him! I sat down and forced him to do my nails and he soon got the hang of it.

Its the same old scenario - until we become licensed then people will always think that about us. It dosn't matter what we have to study, how long it takes us - the fact for most of us ongoing training (and expensive training) is essential.

Just ignore them. Enjoy what you do and you will be the one loving your job not moaning about it everyday like they will be!

Kate x

This also annoys me. I was in the top sets at school and was always made to feel that I had not reached my 'potential'. I did complete a business degree years later but it did not change the fact it was beauty I came back to! The other thing about it is that some feel it isn't a real business. I personally would never ask for a discount - I wonder how many clients would feel if their company said as we give you regular work you can have a 10% discount off your wages this year!! The industry also needs to be regulated properly before it gets rid of this image. :)

To be fair I think that happens in alot of proffesions...and always will do...Its whether we choose to let it get to us or not...

Think of Doctors....kinda makes you think of someone with specs...serious and no fun at a party.....

Lorry Drivers....Thick set with facial hair and slightly pervy

Salesmen...Pushy..fake designer suit and gift of the gab

The list goes on...checkout girls/boys....Machanics...we all have miss conceptions of what they are like based on their job but it doesn't mean there personality or intellect is anything like it.

People can think what they like about me....i aint the one stuck in a job i hate and taking 6.25 per hour home....:)...whos the thick one...:lol:

Gosh this brought back memories of my time in college ! I was 'old' then doing a evening course in beauty therapy with a class room full of 16 year olds ! Some were to be honest as thick as a short plank and were only there so that they could get benefits,but converselty there were some that were very genuine. My husband at the time could not understand why I was doing the course and instructed me to only tell people I was an accountant if asked at functions................he did not want a beauty therapist for a wife!!!

Several years on I know do enhancements, my boyfriend is fully supportive and I am very lucky that I have several good friends who are not regulars in the beauty world so are always amazed when I do their nails, they can see the time /effort that goes into them !

Like the above posters I take no notice of anyone who thinks it easy or who looks down their nose at me, I am doing something I love !

what strikes me as particularly funny is the ones that mock you, are the very same ones that can't figure out how to use curling tongs without getting tangled, or can't paint their own nails without getting it everywhere.
The ones that simply MUST have their appointments regularly and without fail or a crisis arises are most often, the ones that mock us and question our intelligence.

THAT is funny:green:

I had a GREAT deal of fun making fun of a "know-it-all neighbor". You know... one of those that is the neighborhood PITA (Pain In The A**) that everyone avoids? Talks like he knows everything...

He works for a company that makes Melamine (that funny plastic coating that's on furniture and countertops?)
Anyhow, he'd gotten scraps cheap from work and was building his porch with it, INSISTING it would last longer than my cement porch (which is, btw, 51yrs old and still going strong :rolleyes:).
So, I started questioning the process of how it's made (resins & woodchips..) so then I pointed out that it's porous etc... and he argued... and I started using words like acrylates and such... and asked "well, bring home the msds so I can look at the ingredient list of the resins... after all if it's so great.. maybe I'll do the same :)rolleyes: yeah, right hahaha).
He didn't know what acrylates were, nor what an MSDS was and I threw a few more chemistry terms at him... OH MY IT WAS SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH FUN... My other neighbor standing there was biting his tongue trying not to laugh.
After my obnoxious neighbor gave up trying to prove his porch was better and not so subtly changed the subject because he was beyond confused, my other neighbor interupted and asked how I knew so much.
I explained about Doug's book, and how acrylates relate to our business.

It was fun seeing the look on the obnoxious one's face (knowing full well, that he's been knocking my business and my 'intelligence' for quite some time)

:green:

During my many visits to the UK, I had found there was a greater respect for those in this industry than here in the US.

More interesting to know now the views are the same.

I know of people that have full college educations that have turned to this industry to get out of the corporate world, have fun, and make money doing it.

Also, I know of many waiters and waitresses that make more money than highly educated people.

Work is work, if you like what you do, the sky is the limit. There is so much money in this business!

Great thread!! I have experienced this quite alot over the past couple of years of studying Hair and Beauty. I was in all the top sets of school and even went on to sixth form to do my A-Levels, then went on to do H&B. My friends couldn't believe that I had decided to do this as a career and I guess they expected to me to go to uni like all the rest of them. When I say that i'm stressed with the course and the workload they look at me amused as if to say "how can your course be stressful..its just nails & hair etc..."

I was at a pub quiz not long ago and we were all going around saying what subjects we would be good at linking it to our courses at uni/college and before I could say I'd be good at science,biology...someone turned round and said "oh I don't think we'll be getting any questions about nail painting, I think we could all manage that!" It's pretty upsetting when everyone agrees! I really do hate the stereotype BUT i do understand that its inevitable and you do also get the girls that live up to this stereotype thinking the course is easy when it really isn't!

I have a degree and used to be a primary school teacher and lots of people ask me why I gave it up to be a therapist, like I somehow went down the ladder. Some people talk to me differently now. I am much happier now and enjoy working for myself. It's not what you do but how you do it that counts.

I would much rather be here now on Salon Geek than in a staffroom!:Grope:

What i have noticed is that we start to justify ourself.....why ....?

Why do we feel the need to say ...I have a degree....I have 10 GCSE's....ect...

I do this job because i enjoy it...it pays well and suits my lifestyle....thats all needs to be said....i don't feel the need to say...i could do this or that or i got this and that at school/uni.

Like i said it happens in all jobs... If you met a fella and he said he was a bin man what would be your first thought...?...be honest...:lol:.....now personally i wouldn't care what he did and i certainly wouldn't expect him to justify to me or anyone else why he was doing that job.

There has for many years been this stigma attached to therapists working within this wonderful industry by those that work outside of it and do not understand it :rolleyes:

That however is changing significantly since this last recession has hit the country so hard and clearly the contribution made by therapists into the joint household income has risen and become of more and more importance and in some cases the only income comming in as a result of partners loosing their jobs etc.

The clues

1) having exhibited at many many trade shows over the years it was always the same old case of the hubby being dragged along who was dragged long faced around the show yawning as he walked with dropped shoulders daring not to ask any questions to stand staff for fear of being roped into a conversation he had little or no interest in:eek:

Visiting Olympia recently I noticed a significant rise in males attending with their partners and full of interest and discussion at each stand visited...even sitting down for a coffee I noticed couples discussing options on this and that stand and which one they should go with.

That's a big big change from the past

2) there has been a significant increase of entrants from the ethnic minorities where males attitudes to females working and bringing in the bacon precluded them from doing so and in consequence the males were the main income earners.

We have seen a significant rise in females from these groups now getting involved in this sector.....presumably those male attitudes have significantly changed through the realisation perhaps that two incomes are better than one and the the female in the relationship can now bring in as much (if not more in some cases ) as the dominant male does.

3)As a result of the recession the government has at long last recognised this sector and grant aid is available for those out of whatever form of work they previously undertook and who want to enter the beauty sector.

I really believe attitudes towards those working in this sector are changing for the better and we are as a sector being taken more seriously as a whole as are those individuals that make it ... hard working therapists :hug:

Lol it certainly does happen in all jobs................... the snobbery in accountancy !!!!!

... If you met a fella and he said he was a bin man what would be your first thought...?...be honest...:lol:/quote]

I would have to ask..."what day shall I put the dustbin out and do I need a separate one for household waste ...oh and by the way sorry but im heterosexual so sorry for wasting your time but will you still come empty my dustbin??" :eek::lol::lol::hug:

LOL i agree sooo much with this post :lol:. I gave up a law career with a string of exams & I always get people saying things like 'Your joking, you gave up that kind of career for a Beautician, err why!!??' :rolleyes:& yes people do speak/regard you differently. My hubby also owns a very successful business & I have had people look at him, then at me, then at him - you get the picture - blonde, small, therapist = completely stoopid - speak slowly & smile at her - that type of thing pmsl:)!!!!!!

I actually care not a jot as I absolutely LOVE my new path & Im not the one stressed up to the eyeballs & ranting at clients/supppliers each day - I think WE have all got it right!!!!!:lol:

Hi all
i have to laugh at how people act when you tell them your job, i get "ah well a jobs a job and women will always want their nails painted and hair done (its extensions i'm not a hairdresser) plus at least it's not mc donalds" :lol:

i used to work in software, now the programs done all the work for me! but i was bored silly so made my hobby a permanant thing and could'nt be happier( plus i definately would have been laid off by now, company closure). But i would'nt do full beauty therapy or hairdressing as i probably dont have the brains required!

Aint we lucky now we work in the beauty industry!!

Pam x

Oh god, when I'm at a party and tell people I'm a hairdresser!!! They speak slowly as if the blonde hair dye has sunk in!
People have their predjudices and perceptions, and me bleating on that I'm clever really, isn't gonna change that.
The only time I get a bit narked is when dopey women who have never run a business get patronising with me.

It strikes me that any Tom, **** or Harriet can go to uni now, the percentage of the population going has risen drastically over the last 20 years or so. So as far as I'm concerned, a degree has been devalued. And I've lost count of the nimber of dim/average young girls I've met who are at uni doing Media Studies or something totally nondescript like that.

The point being, so what if you do have a degree? It just means more people in fairly 'average' jobs for which GCEs or A levels used to be required, now have degrees. Employers have just raised their requirements (but not their wages) in line with peoples' level of education. It doesn't mean the job is necessarily particularly demanding.

I heard a statistic recently that only 10% of the UK population earn over £40k p.a. Far more than 10% must have degrees. So it follows that lots of them must be earning under £40k. So if a degree is so great, shame it doesn't mean you automatically command a fantastic income.

The other thing to remember is no matter what your level of education, common sense, open-mindedness, initiative and keeping yourself well read and informed on current affairs will always stand you in good stead and ensure you get on in life whatever career you pursue. Going to university won't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, you need the basic material there in the first place.

Hi all,
Great thread, I know exactly what you are all saying. I worked in Canary Wharf as a Procurement Manager for over 10 years, and gave it up for a change in career to Beauty Therapist and people thought I was mad. I've never been happier and have never regretted my decision.

Another thing that irritates me is the way you are treated differently depending on how you introduced yourself. If I say I'm a Beauty & Holistic Therapist, I get the bimbo look. If I say I have my own business its a completely different story. What a materialistic world we live in.

Latest posts

Back