Beauty Therapists = stupid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People have always seemed to think I was stupid, as I am very bubbly and am pretty much silly for fun it makes me happy :) at the end of the day I know I smart and them thinking I'm stupid means I'm always 2 steps ahead........:lol:
Pretty much making them the stupid ones! When I encounter these particular folks I always start throwing big words in the convo, you can hear their brains spinning trying to figure out what it means ha!
I chose this career at 25 and am proud of it :) thank god I jacked in college after doing a verrrrrrrrrry boring HNC in accounts!

I challenge anyone with a 'regular' career to deal with what our profession entails on a daily basis... Judgment is never the way.:hug:
OK, apologies for the offensive title, obviously *I* don't think beauty therapists are stupid because I'm training to be one!

But in my experience, it seems to be a common idea that people employed in the beauty industry [I'm talking hairdressers, nail techs etc. also] are unintelligent, that they failed school and just sit around all day filing nails and rubbing creams in.

A while back I did a search on beauty therapy and came across a thread on a student/university forum. A girl was very innocently asking if anyone had done a HNC in beauty therapy and what it was like. Another poster suggested she actually get a 'real higher education qualification' and was generally very snobby about the notion of beauty therapy.

While direct insults like that don't always happen, there does seem to be a prejudice against people in the industry and a misconception of what the jobs entail. I've discussed my course with several people and they have all been 'shocked' at how much science is actually involved and how much theory work I will need to do. Apparently they thought it was all fluffy and girly and no effort at all.

I have also had people surprised at me choosing beauty therapy as a career - they seem disappointed that I didn't do something more 'intelligent.' I'm 24 and therefore a 'mature' student, and they believe that beauty therapy is for dimwitted sixteen-year-olds.

It's worse in conversation with university students who are studying Quantum Physics or something like that - I tell them what I'm studying and they look very obviously amused, and reply - "...Oh. That's nice."
I'm married to a guy who has a PhD in Theoretical Chemistry and they generally look at him wondering why he's with me and not someone 'smarter'!

To be honest I'm pretty sick of other folks' ideas about the beauty industry. I've even had people say that 'Isn't it a bit silly and vacuous to care that much about looks?' I don't think they get it. I've tried explaning how treatments can lead to a feeling of wellbeing which in turn can help with stress, depression etc, but they don't buy it.

Basically I want to show everyone my giant textbook and how much theory is involved just to shut them up! But I don't think it would change what they believe a beauty professional to be.

What opinion do you guys have on this issue? Have you run into people who look down on you for being in the beauty industry? What have you done to change their minds?

xx

Before re-training to become a therapist I was a fully qualified Credit Manager & Book Keeper for 15 years (bothered - no, as it just gave me IBS in the end) In that career I have been shouted at, sworn at, and called just about every name under the sun - daily.

But before that, as the eldest of all my (female) siblings, I was lined up to take over the family business - Building Contractors.

Having grown up on building sites I worked along side my Father for 4 years when leaving school. If you think the comments made to Therapists from ignorant folk are bad then consider some that I received whilst in this game (imagine the scene - I am 5'2'', blonde(ish) and look like I'm about 12)

From the RMC (concrete) driver 'there you go petal, when it dries you can put bricks on it':rolleyes:

From just about any other bloke I came across 'so what do you do for a living - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, don't make me laugh'

Needless to say, I went off to get a 'girls' job. People then took me seriously but I hated it and the career made me very ill (sueing people every day is not fun).

Now I've been a therapist for 5 years and I really don't give a toss what people say. I am the most content in my working life than I have ever been and I don't think that there is anything that anyone can say to me that could compare to the comments that I received in my previous careers.

i wanted to do beauty therapy at college when i left school, however i was made by an extremely pushy aunt that i lived with to take my A levels, which after a year and half and the worst attendence record ever i quit. i had no interest and was seriously failing. she was not happy! after working a few years i started doing beauty on an evening without telling my aunt. i have recently moved out and bought an house with my boyfriend and knowing there was no way she could stop me now i told her. she isnt supportive at all and says that beauty is for dumb blondes (im brunette hehe) and girls that have no aims in life. she thinks that all my time and certificates is a waste and there is no money in it. i just think that she is very steriotypical like many others. i have work extremely hard to have the qualifications i have now and it was, i will admit, harder than i expected. there is more to this industry than picking out polish colours. i think if people realised what the courses entailed and the effort put into it they would think more of us. my boyfriend is very proud of me a she know what a struggle its been for me (and of course many of u) to have a full time job and go to college on evening and weekends.
i cannot wait to tell my aunt im thinking of going self employed after christmas and quitting my job x :lol:

I had a client tell me last week that she thought I was too clever to just be a Nail Tech..... I laughed (and laughed some more) then pointed out that (a) it's harder than it looks and (b) I'm the one doing the job I love, earning my own money and have IMO perfect work/home balance in my life..... I think that makes me smart enough!

I don't care if people think I'm thick, it's their loss. Maybe it's my age but people can look at me and judge me on what they see but those who matter know the real me!!

I do find though that I judge people a lot less by their jobs now. When I had a corporate career I was guilty of a lot of the assumptions that have already been mentioned......

i started doing beauty on an evening without telling my aunt. i have recently moved out and bought an house with my boyfriend and knowing there was no way she could stop me now i told her. she isnt supportive at all and says that beauty is for dumb blondes (im brunette hehe) and girls that have no aims in life. she thinks that all my time and certificates is a waste and there is no money in it.
i cannot wait to tell my aunt im thinking of going self employed after christmas and quitting my job x :lol:

Your aunt should be proud of you, to have the initiative and drive and ambition to go off and study as well as holding down a day job.You sound very hard-working. She should let you live your own life and do what you want to do because it sounds like you're making a success of it so far -what more does she expect??

Personally I dont care what people think of me, all that matters is what I think and I suppose those close to me. I know that I'm intelligent and I certainly dont need to get out all my various qualifications to prove otherwise. I am interested in working in this industry because I think that you need to be happy and content when at work because you spend far too much time working. I have done the stressfull high income jobs and to be honest the work life balance sucks.

I had a friend at uni, one of my lecturers I became really friendly with, that had a PHD in Physics, she used to work for SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence in the USA) she once told me that when she picked up her daughter from school all the other parents avoided her because they knew she was a uni lecturer and had a PHD. So it cuts both ways.

Sometimes people are just plain ignorant and stupid and why should anyone feel the need to justify themselves to these people.

anne xx

thanks for that tog!
i think some people are just like that... hence people THINKING people in this industry are stupid x

I have never had anyone put that on me that i was "stupid" mainly because i think there to scared lol.
I also did not think the theory was hard at all. But i was fresh out of doing GCSE Double Science and P.E so it was all fresh in my mind. The Aromatherapy Diploma i did i found a bit hard thou as for it was all pretty new to me.

Sometimes people are just plain ignorant and stupid and why should anyone feel the need to justify themselves to these people.

anne xx

That's exacly the point Anne. It does not matter what career you are in there will at some point be a total a** that just wants to put you down. Just let them think what they want, your the one in the know!

Sod 'em!

I used to get a few random comments when I was younger and my dad wasn't overly keen on my choice of career but aside from that I only get positive comments.

To be honest I think a lot of people would have even more of a negative view of therapists if they knew have many one day courses were out there !!! I have a pretty poor view of them anyway and a lot of my clients are really shocked when I tell them these courses exist.

Take someone who already thought therapists were thick and told them that a two year beauty course could be crammed into 2 weeks they would probably have an even worse opinion of the trade !! :eek:

I had 4 'A's in my A-levels in Physics, Maths, Biology and Chemistry.

I found learning how to do nails was infact much harder than the four A-levels combined. Go figure!

OK, apologies for the offensive title, obviously *I* don't think beauty therapists are stupid because I'm training to be one!

But in my experience, it seems to be a common idea that people employed in the beauty industry [I'm talking hairdressers, nail techs etc. also] are unintelligent, that they failed school and just sit around all day filing nails and rubbing creams in.

A while back I did a search on beauty therapy and came across a thread on a student/university forum. A girl was very innocently asking if anyone had done a HNC in beauty therapy and what it was like. Another poster suggested she actually get a 'real higher education qualification' and was generally very snobby about the notion of beauty therapy.

While direct insults like that don't always happen, there does seem to be a prejudice against people in the industry and a misconception of what the jobs entail. I've discussed my course with several people and they have all been 'shocked' at how much science is actually involved and how much theory work I will need to do. Apparently they thought it was all fluffy and girly and no effort at all.

I have also had people surprised at me choosing beauty therapy as a career - they seem disappointed that I didn't do something more 'intelligent.' I'm 24 and therefore a 'mature' student, and they believe that beauty therapy is for dimwitted sixteen-year-olds.

It's worse in conversation with university students who are studying Quantum Physics or something like that - I tell them what I'm studying and they look very obviously amused, and reply - "...Oh. That's nice."
I'm married to a guy who has a PhD in Theoretical Chemistry and they generally look at him wondering why he's with me and not someone 'smarter'!

To be honest I'm pretty sick of other folks' ideas about the beauty industry. I've even had people say that 'Isn't it a bit silly and vacuous to care that much about looks?' I don't think they get it. I've tried explaning how treatments can lead to a feeling of wellbeing which in turn can help with stress, depression etc, but they don't buy it.

Basically I want to show everyone my giant textbook and how much theory is involved just to shut them up! But I don't think it would change what they believe a beauty professional to be.

What opinion do you guys have on this issue? Have you run into people who look down on you for being in the beauty industry? What have you done to change their minds?

xx
Many people 'think' this way. My ex husband being one :rolleyes: (notice I said ex :lol:).

Facts are facts... some people are great at English / Maths / Science but can't work a kettle to make a cup of tea. Some are not good with academics in the field of maths, science etc but are naturally artistic with their hands of gifted in other artistic ways.

You have to find your strengths and talents and when you realise you are really good at something, stick with it, nurture it and become the best. It dosn't mean you are 'thick' just because you didn't go to Uni. I didn't go to Uni out of choice... I am neither thick, nor good at maths and guess what I do not have the artistic talents that many of many family have... but there are things that I am really good at that come naturally.

Hold your head high - who gives a fig :eek: what they think - it's what you know and if you have the vision... you will end up with a successful business that you love. Maybe they end up lawyers with pots of money and heart attacks at 30!! I know what I would prefer - love what you do!:!:

I would also like to know how many other jobs there are out there that every customer you have thanks and praises you after a treatment?

Its a thankful job, and it pays well too!

Latest posts

Back