beauty therapy nvq2

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah21

Reaction score
Hello every1 just wanted to know if any of you were really nervous just b4 u started your course im really nervous im a very shy person and dont really have any friends so im a bit of aloner sometimes i fell like i dont want to do it but its something i need to do ive heard that when u have ur exams the examiner asks you questions on what u doing in front of everyone this really scares me has anyone just passed there exams and explain on what they do thanks

everyone is a little scared at first, but you really have nothing to worry about. you will make friends, and you will only do your assesments when you are ready and likely to pass.. its not half as bad as it sounds.. trust me... i would do it all over again it will be such an exciting year for you..:hug:

I was really nervous before I started. I hadn't been in education for 20 years!!:eek: I too can be very shy, but I knew this was something I really wanted to do and that if I didn't, then I would regret it.

We all very quickly lost any embarassment we initially felt when practicing treatments on each other and we now are able to have a good laugh with together. I have made some really good friends on my course and I know that some of those will last beyond the duration of the course.

As for the assesments, it may differ between colleges, but our tutors do not ask questions in front of clients/models. They wait until after the treatment has been completed and will then ask anything they need once the client has left the treatment area.

It might be worth having a chat with your course tutor to let them know about your worries, I'm sure that they will only be too pleased to put your mind at rest.

I hope that has helped a little but if you have any other questions do ask and I will help where I can. I am in my second term of Level 2 and can honestly say that I enjoy it 100% more than I had hoped I would.

:hug:

Just remember that you already have something in common with everyone else.
Also everyone else is there on their own too.Probably all feeling a degree of nerves.Some perhaps more than you.
I always say to myself and my children whats the worst thing that can happen to you in new situations ,play it all through rationally in your mind and you will usually not come up with anything you couldn't handle.
Just make sure you make an effort to smile, be approachable yourself and join in as much as you're able straight away, don't separate yourself off from the others at breaks or whatever as its harder later to make an approach when everyone else has got to know eachother.
Remember in this job you are meeting new people everyday so you need to start somewhere.

I had exactly the same thing when I started my course. I was really nervous, didn't know anyone, and I'm quite shy. I was one of three mature students and the other two were already friends. All the other students were a LOT younger than me.
But as has been said, once you start doing treatments on each other, you get chatting and before you know it, you're friends! Just try to work with as many different people as you can, you'll soon settle in.
With the assessments, your tutor is not going to make you do an assessment before you are ready for it. As long as you know what you're doing and why you're doing it, there probably won't be any question you won't be able to answer. They're not going to ask you things you haven't covered.
I really enjoyed doing my course. Yes, it's a massive learning curve, but if you really want to do it, then just go for it. Throw yourself into it and you'll never look back.

Just a little extra point - At a salon I used to work at, we had a work experience girl from a local college. Her waxing was absolutely dreadful (bearing in mind that she'd passed her assessment!), and she told us that because she didn't like waxing, she used to try and avoid it if she could. So we had to explain to her that waxing is a basic beauty treatment and if you can't wax, NO-ONE is going to give you a job in a salon. My point is, if there's a treatment you find difficult, get as much practice in it as you possibly can. Get the equipment to do it at home and just grab everyone and make them have that treatment! You're not going to get this opportunity again, so make the most of it!

Most of all, HAVE FUN!!!!!

Honestly chick don't be nervous, you'll have a fab time and make loads of new friends - big hugs for you :hug:

In your classes you will have to work either in groups or pairs,this is needed for when you do your practical work,i.e practicing your treatments.This will be the ice breaker that you need and help you bond with your peers.

This job requires you to have people skills,it's crucial and there's no escaping this issue.

Dont worry,you will be fine and enjoy your training.:hug:

Latest posts

Back