Being Mobile - An easier way ???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm a mobile therapist and had a client yesterday who wanted a wax and a manicure.

Needless to say, that entails me having to take my couch (15kg), my manicure table (8kg), my trolley with all my goodies in (15kg), towells and my portable trolley to put everything on (1kg) etc.

By the time I've put everything in my car, taken it out again at the clients house, walked up a million stairs (ALL the houses have stairs), set everything up and taken everything down again, walked down the million stairs again, stuff back into my car and then out again at the other side, I'M ABSOLUTELY KNACKERED and my back is killing me.

So I was wondering how all the other mobile therapist that offer beauty treatments as well cope with this. Am I doing something wrong ?? Do I have too much equipment ??? I can't keep going on like this, I will do myself a serious injury one of these days !!

Any feedback or advise would be appreciated !

Sore and broken back - River

well you could lose the manicure table and do them across the couch instead - that' one item down!

why not use your couch as a manicure table, it will save you carting your table aswell :green: , we always used couches as tables at college ,also what about decanting your mani products in to smaller tubs etc, you can get em in ellisons, beauty express etc .., then that should be lighter too :green:
hope this helps a bit , dee xx

I know exactly where you are coming from hun!!!

I have the same problem!! I don't think there is any way around it really!!!! It's a problem isn't it!!

Hi River,

I'm Mobile and most times have to do infills and a pedicure at the same appointment soon to be waxing, infills and pedicure ..... anyhoo, I only take what I really need. I have one of those Silver beauty bags that has three seperate sections and is on wheels. So I pack for each treatment differently and most people I go to have a dining room table so I don't bother with my table. I work out of my silver bag which saves packing away time, why get all your stuff onto a mobile trolley if you gonna pack it all away again.

When I am with a client I have the following things with me:

My silver bag (top section) open which contains all my nail stuff and files etc. (top section closed if there's kids about) in the middle section, my nail enamels and pedicure stuff, bottom section I have my extension lead, lamp and two towels. This bag is the heaviest.

My white foot stool and foot spa. Nail art stuff in a bag on my back.

And that is only 1 extra trip back to the car, while I am at the car fetching the rest of my things the client is having a nose through the enamels deciding on a colour as well as any nail art on top of that.

This set up takes me 5 minutes. It's quick and I always try and get my clients to book more than one treatment even if it's just a toe paint!

River you do get used to it though hun, it won't tire you out everytime, promise. I love it .... good exercise!!!!

Hope this helps!! :)

xxxx

Dee and Sassy have a good point - though I winged about it at the time, we also did our college training across couches (only because I had visions of us all seated at nice little desks!) - but yes, this will definitely reduce the burden of all that equipment you are taking with you. Is your portable trolley the two-tiered plastic one that the likes of Beauty Express/Ellisons do (I think that's who did them) - if not, that's a really light-weight piece of equipment.

This is always one of the biggest downsides to mobile work as a beauty therapist isn't it. Its hard enough as a nail technician, but I have to say, I wont be relishing the prospect once I have beauty under my belt of carrying all that equipment about. I think I will most likely end up doing half and half - some mobile, some home-based. Is this not something you could also consider - doing a bit of both?

Hi i dont do stairs girl think of your back.its no funn like that.if the house dont have a lift no mobile mi:lol: Greetings daniella

I used to be mobile and also had the same problem, its a shame more people dont live in bungalows!

I used to do manicures also on the couch, does save schlapping something!

Hi there

No fun is it.

I must admit I do someones nails at their home, and the other week I didn't take my table just covered her work surface in the kitchen and worked across it, it was fine. (make sure you protect the clients surfaces though)

Why not ask her for a couple of towels, save you taking them.

Tear off the couch roll that you need and fold that up. Really minimise and just use one container. You really need one with wheels like the sort the old grannies use for shopping, get plenty in there lol, or if going upstairs then maybe a rucksack would be better. You can also get little wheels for the couch, check economed out they do them.

Also have a few crates in the boot with the stuff you need for your appointments (eg towels), and only take from the crates what you actually need per client.

Let's face it, we all tend to take far too much.

Another option - can she not come to you?

Regards
Deb379

Hiya,

Definately loose the manicure table, it's easy to do over the couch, there's 8kg down, take as little as you will need to carry out the treatments, don't cart every item you own for manis/pedis/etc.

I have the storage, you know the plastic drawers that you get - two big and two small in each set, well, I use one of the large ones to carry my wax and any other stuff that fits. I also have a fabric bag which is lightweight and carries everything I need for manicures.

hth

...being mobile always sounds like such an easy option until you start taking in all the logistics - it's hard!

I don't know anyone who's lasted more than 18 months / 2 years doing mobile. Altho, I'm sure there may be a geek or two out there who can prove me wrong. :D

I agree with the other posts - take the couch or the manicure table, not both, to try and cut down.

Good luck,

Kx

Hi if you look in to my album you see my mobile studio .this girl is grazy i have 300 colors of acryl 54 colors of polish 6 gels enz every think you need.My one nail tabel one ponychear .LAMP.If the they wont a pedicure my mobile pedicure chear has to come 18 kilogram.Spa pedicure feetpool .yes yes its grazy i get lots of $$$$$ for that trobbel.greetings daniella

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your replies !

I'm not very keen on working on the coach (I think it's too wide and too soft), however, I can see the practicallity of the suggestion. Having to carry one or the other isn't a problem, it's when I have to carry both ! But I think I'll take your suggestion on board.

I do break my things down into smaller bottles / containers and only take the coach roll that I need and the exact amount of towells. I also only take what I need for the treatment, but when you do a spa mani and a wax for instance, it all adds up ......... wax heater, wax pot, strips, pre and after wax lotion, cotton wool, the full spa mani range (because you need it and that's what you need to take). If they want paraffin wax with that, it's an extra paraffin pot to take, heated mits etc etc..... you get my drift.

I've got one of those aluminium trolleys which is great, but once you've loaded it with all of the above it weights a tonne !

I have ordered a coach trolley from Economed ages ago, but still haven't received it. I called them yesterday and they said I should have it by next week. So hopefully that would make a difference.

The portable trolley that I have to put all my stuff on is one of those light plastic ones. Really good and very handy. I understand I don't always have to take everything out of my case, but it is more convenient when everything is handy and you don't have to go rummaging to find what you're looking for.

Unfortunately, I can't use the boot of my car as "storage" as a 40ft Truck drove into the back of my car last year september. Now if I open the boot, the back light falls out !!! This of course is another source of embarrassment when I go to clients, but hey, it's my car which drives like a dream and at the moment I can't afford another one.

As for clients coming to my home, we do have a spare room that we use as a study, and actually do use it as a study, but the room is at the back of the house. So people would have to walk through my whole house to get to the room, which I don't think is very convenient when my partner is in the lounge watching TV or something. I have thought about this everytime I need to lugged all my stuff around, but then I think about all the legalities involved in running a business from home and it kind of defeats the object if the whole idea is to provide a service that is convenient to the customer. If they need to come to me, they might as well go to a salon ..........

Sorry about the long post, but just trying to cover everything that has been suggested.

THANKS AGAIN !

River

hi hun i know what ou mean about working over the couch, i was mortified when they said thats how we would do it at college :irked: , i am so used to working from a table , and thought it wasnt professional at all, but... once you get used to it , it actually aint that bad ;) .

i take my hat off to ya , coz i just couldnt go mobile, my back is dodgy as it is , so it would deffo kill me :D
hope you get things sorted , dee xx

Instead of taking your table, can't you use the customers ironing board. Correct width, and adjustable height!! It works for me.

Trilite Girl said:
Instead of taking your table, can't you use the customers ironing board. Correct width, and adjustable height!! It works for me.
Hallo i think asking the client for a ironing board is not verry pro looking .I now A girl that spil liquid al over the board not a happy client.Having you pro stuff with you is A must.I think greetings daniella

daniella said:
Hallo i think asking the client for a ironing board is not verry pro looking .I now A girl that spil liquid al over the board not a happy client.Having you pro stuff with you is A must.I think greetings daniella

Don't get me wrong, I do think that a professional look is a must, but when I clients see how much stuff I have to bring they are more than happy to get the ironing board out. ;)

A professional look doesn't always mean good nails. I sure there have been many customers who have been impressed with a mobile nail tech's look and the same goes for a stylish salon, but disappointed with the nails.

Trilite Girl said:
Don't get me wrong, I do think that a professional look is a must, but when I clients see how much stuff I have to bring they are more than happy to get the ironing board out. ;)

A professional look doesn't always mean good nails. I sure there have been many customers who have been impressed with a mobile nail tech's look and the same goes for a stylish salon, but disappointed with the nails.
Hi is your nailtabel that havey ?IN MY ALBUM I POST A MOBILE NAIL TABEL & THE PONYCHEAR.Its no bigy for mi waking from the car to de clients house with this.Just one by one take you time greetings daniella:wink2:

I think that the ironing board suggestion is the best way. I did this for 18 months and clients were happy to get it out. Once I had it set up, completely covered in white fluffy towels, equipment set up on one side, retail stuff on other side, and my metal box case by my side with all my stuff to hand, it really looked the biz. And as stated before it is the perfect width and you can put it to the correct height. Also it is an item that every home has. So I will come down on the side of the previous tech who recommended it.

I always told my clients that it saved me lugging a heavy mobile table around and they were more than happy to get out the old ironing board. Another good thing about using the ironing board, as opposed to the clients tables etc is that if you did have an accident on it they are not so expensive to replace, where as the cost of having a table re varnished etc would be astornomical.

Hi there!

I have been mobile for what feels like a life time lol, and am just salon basing myself now, so here is my method of carrying things about!

I have my good old faithfull, the silver nail case( you know the one cantilever silver case)? from which i carry all my L&P/Gel, files and pouch with my tools in, a few accessorys too!(strategically placed of course lol)

I then have two of those SBC black square cases, in one i put my portable daylight lamp, (and a small gel lamp if needed)the majority of my prep stuff, nail tips and a small towel folded flat.
In the other i have my portable wax pot, i.e single roller one or the little pot one, my prep and after care things, cotton wool disc's/spatular's/wax strips and wax etc, and yet another towel.
I then fit them both into a little trolly case (you know the little holiday one's that have that extendable zip top) there is room once these are in to put down the sides a pouch with any eyelash tint stuff if needed or creams/cleansers etc, and hand towels, i can usually fit a extention reel if i need one in too.

I then carry a small wooden picnic table(morrisons special 5 quid) fold flat stool again if needed its always in my car.
You get the picture (pull my little trolley, carry my silver case/or balance it on top of trolley, then put my table under my arm, hopefully thats all i need at a time!

You will find what works best for you in time, Hope this helps!

Luv 'n' hugs
xxxxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back