Best Straighteners? not GHD

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxie20

Reaction score
My daughter would like sone new straighteneres for Christmas preferably GHD's, but I'm not prepared to pay for GHD's ....paying more for the name in my opinion!!!
Can you guys let me know what you use and can recommend that are available at Ellissons, Sallys, Aston and Fincher or Capital?

I will alway swear bye GHDs try www.ghdhair.com for all the latest offers. If you are lookiong for something cheaper what about FHI's my friend has them they seem very good, and are very reasonable. Hope this helps xx

For what you would call a 'decent' pair of straightners, they are going to be around the £100 mark. I would only recommend GHD as they are:

Consistant
Reliable
Have a wonderful 2 yrs guarantee.

Their customer service is second to none. If the iron breaks down they just replace it (even without a receipt) if it is within 2 years. Heck, I have had cases where clients have broken the iron and they have just replaced it, no question.
If it breaks down after the 2 years, quite often they have repaired an iron free of charge. I cannot say enough good things about the company.

I have had clients that have never bought another iron because of this.

Yes, you are paying for the name but all the wonderful perks that come with it :)

If you don't want to pay the price of GHD's but want the quality then get a pair of She straighteners they are fantastic and identical to GHD's.

The husband and wife who supplied GHD's split up and the wife went on to set her own business she uses the same manufacture but sells at a lower price.
My daughters have them and I have just ordered the limited white ones for my youngest for her Christmas.
shehair™ hair straighteners | buy ceramic tourmaline hair straighteners
:hug:

Kodo hair straightners... These were £50 a few years ago now £20-£30
I had them before ghd's i was amazed as this wasq when straightners has kinda just come out, then ghd's were ment to be even better i tried them and they were just the same!!

Kodo's are also good to retail aswell cos they're cheap but can still be cheap with profit on!!

i love ghd's but their not consistent or reliable.
I';ve had 3 pairs in 2 years and i take good care of thing's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The wire always goes in them.
my stepmum had some and the plate's came off the actual straightners.. i've never ever heard anything bout a 2 year warranty!

Hi, I always swore by Remington Wet to Straight but when mine eventually gave up I couldnt replace them as they no longer made them:cry: so i bought the replacement model & they are rubbish & cost me over £100 only used them twice & gave in and bought GHD's OMG they are fabby dabby so id agree with the girls & say yip they do cost roughly £117 (my ones) but they last longer have a great warranty & dont damage ur hair like instore ones, I now have a collection of hardly used Straighteners in the cuboard & a pair of GHD's sitting pride of place on my dresser yay xx

i also recommend SHE it works the same as my ghd but cheaper price so you are not comprimising on the quality...

they are very good...

I am frever loyal to SHE straighteners...they ra eamazing...exactly the same as GHDs but they retail at £65...v popular. And you can get them in white (limited edition) or bright pink or black shiny. :) xxx

I replaced my GHD's with FHI's from Sally's (at trade price which is nice!). They work equally as well and were a lot cheaper......

Hth's

Have to agree that SHE are just as good as ghds

i love ghd's but their not consistent or reliable.
I';ve had 3 pairs in 2 years and i take good care of thing's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The wire always goes in them.
my stepmum had some and the plate's came off the actual straightners.. i've never ever heard anything bout a 2 year warranty!

The 2 year warranty does exist, I have used it plenty of times. Although you are right about the wire, we did have problems with this. The wire goes if you wrap it around the straighteners,a big no-no with all electricals.

I meant consistent and reliable in heat delivery and usability. I have tried FHI, SHE, Remington, Babyliss and Vidal Sassoon and always go back to my GHD. I have 6 sets of GHD in my salon, all 4 years old and all on for about 8 hours a day, 6 days a week and they are all still going strong :)

Hi, We used GHD's at our academy. We have went through other models but ghds seem to be the best of the bunch x

Thanks for everyones replys, I actually have some GHD's myself but these were a gift!
I struggle to accept the fab following that GHD have after watching the tv programme 'Watchdog' a couple of years ago - they certainly didn't rate GHD's and said that often the wire would overheat and burn out causing potential danger with fires etc???
Thinl I might try She or Kodo

ghd guarantee is superb. I have used it many times and have no complaints. They are the best irons on the market by a mile, and are a superb company. Just beware of fakes on the internet.

I love my T3's! Much better than GHDs in my opinion but they are also quite pricey.
T3s have a temperature control on which my GHDs never had. I also found GHDs tended to leave my hair quite bitty and snagged. They were fine with freshly washed hair but if i was straightening my hair later in the day, it would go dry and bitty. T3s are fab and the hairdryer is awesome!
For a cheaper option, Nicky Clarke straighteners are fab. I have used these in my salon and everyone comments on how good they are and my daughter prefers them to GHDs.
I have GHDs, Nicky Clarke and FHI straighteners in my salon.
I have FHIs to use with my Kerastraight straightening system.
We use Nicky Clarkes straighteners when we need to have them on a lower temperature as the GHDs have no temperature control.

FHI for me, love the temp control and always using a heat protection spray I love the way they straighten. Used GHDs before on friends hair and I didnt like them personally as they didnt straighten so well and for me I like the temp control on my FHIs as some clients dont need the full 220 degrees, or whtever it is I cant remember off hand!! its late lol

I'd get SHE. I've had both those and GHD, and there's not an ounce of difference in the standard pair.

GHD have patented spring-loaded plates to give the exact right pressure, but as with any tool it's 50% about the way you use them, so I'd ask a hairdresser to make sure I was doing it right if I wasn't getting a near perfect result every time from professional tools.

The warranty is second to none. most salon chains will hold freepost bags to send the irons back to Jemella Ltd who, 9 times out of 10, will swap them for a new pair within a fortnight. I also echo the person who said never wrap your wire around your irons (or hairdryer, or any electrical item) - even cold ones. It weakens the wire and that's why they break!

kodo are really good. they heat up to 210 degrees and you can get them from salonsdirect.com for £46

Thanks everyone for your advice....I have ordered some 'She' on line for my daughter and will let you know what we think after Father Christmas has been!!!

In my oppinion GHD's are the best straighteners money can buy! they are a good company and if your irons break, you send them back to GHD and they will repair them or send you a free pair but beware of fakes! x

Latest posts

Back