Bio/Calgel STILL Lifting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CurlyQs

Reaction score
I know there are numerous threads already out there regarding lifting but I can't seem to get this fixed. I am using Bio Sculpture or Calgel (not in combination) and seem to have the same problem. About 10-12 days after applying a new french set, one or two corners (free edge) of gel lift or flick off. I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong. The rest of the set look right and last 3 wks.

I know it's me because it's happening with several peeps. Like I said only on one or two nails and usually close to 2 wks after application. Even happening with ones who are fanatics about caring for their nails (wearing gloves, applying Solar Oil etc...) It's usually the thumb or index fingers. Also, my lamp is quite new so I don't think it's the problem.

What could I be doing wrong? Can any soak off gel pros advise me?
Thanks,
:confused:Alex

Hi Alex,
Do you make sure to cap the free-edge this helps to stop the gel lifting away from the nail ??

Hi Alex,
Do you make sure to cap the free-edge this helps to stop the gel lifting away from the nail ??

Hi Lelli,
I feel like I am capping very carefully. Before I cure each layer of gel, I touch the brush to the end of each nail. Maybe I am missing a few spots or not getting the corner area just right??? Sometimes it's hard to get the corner as I am trying not to get gel on the skin. It does almost look like it's not capped properly. I know the gel shrinks a bit as I move onto other nails, that's why I always go back to the free edge before curing. I have also tried curing 2 nails at a time but still have problem..... frustrating...
thx!

When capping it is important to pull the gel over the whole of the free-edge any gaps and they will start to lift :)

When capping it is important to pull the gel over the whole of the free-edge any gaps and they will start to lift :)

That must be my problem. I thought I was being careful but I will have to better my efforts.
Thanks Lelli :hug:

CurlyQs, I am experiencing the same problem as you with Calgel and agree with Lell that it may well be a 'capping' problem. I have enquired about this on geek and directly with Calgel head office and the problem seems to be 'capping'.

As Lelli said, you really need to pull the gel over the entire free edge before curing. This is essential with Calgel. Also make doubly sure that you pull your protective gloss coat (Calcrystal or High Gloss) over the free edge too.

Concentrate for now on curing only one nail at a time instead of 2 as you mentioned. By trying to cure 2, you are probably allowing shrinkage on one nail whilst capping the second.

I don't know how widely available Calgel is to you in Ontario, but Calgel UK offers free workshops where you can iron out any problems like this. I need to book myself on one, lol:lol:. HTH xx

Hi

Make sure your prep is spot on, and you are gently removing shine from the nail plate to ensure good adherance in the first place.

CAP EVERY LAYER.....i go from cuticle to free edge from one side of the nail to the other then run my brush from side to side of the free edge with every layer.

If your getting peeling - your not capping well enough - think of an elastic band being PULLED over the free edge 'wrapping' the end of the nail (not just the end but the corners and sides too !!)

And lock cure each one so that the gel doesnt shrink back - see if this makes any difference.

Obviously no matter HOW much capping you do if you have a job which entails lots of 'grabbing' or your doing lots of gardening without gloves etc you may break this 'seal' try and be aware of things you maybe doing.

And ....remember DONT EVER file the free edge after you've capped it (sure you know this already:hug:just making sure!:green:)

Good luck !

amb x

Hi

And ....remember DONT EVER file the free edge after you've capped it (sure you know this already:hug:just making sure!:green:)

Good luck !

amb x

Just what I was going to say Amber, if you file the free edge after capping (or if your client does it at home) the free edge seal will be broken and this will cause lifting too.

Thanks soooooo much everyone. I think it's unanimous that I have a capping problem. On my next set I am going to SLOW down and makes sure every little part of the free edge is capped and to lock cure each one before continuing. Obviously I must have been missing some parts on some layers. It's reassuring to know that I can fix this problem. Thx!!!
alex
:hug:

Hi, What white calgel are you using? If competition white then this has to go over clear gel(cured) or it lifts. If using no.1 then it can go onto natural nail. Make sure you are stiring all gels before use too. I always do 2 thin layers of white curing each layer. HTH's

Hi, What white calgel are you using? If competition white then this has to go over clear gel(cured) or it lifts. If using no.1 then it can go onto natural nail. Make sure you are stiring all gels before use too. I always do 2 thin layers of white curing each layer. HTH's

Hi Debbie,
I wasn't aware of the difference in application for CW vs. no. 1. Good to know. However, I do always start with a layer of clear. I use competition white in 2 layers as well. I usually mix, will be more careful to do it thoroughly. Thanks! Alex
:hug:

CAP EVERY LAYER.....i go from cuticle to free edge from one side of the nail to the other then run my brush from side to side of the free edge with every layer.

Ditto that ... very important to cap each layer.

Hi CurlyQs!

Just a little something else too! When I first started with Calgel I too was wary of getting gel on the skin when I was capping the free edge. So, to overcome that I use my metal scraper (I got it in the starter kit - have you got one?) to gently take any away excess gel before curing. I've found it's better to use the metal scraper than an orange stick as its thinner and gets right into the sidewalls.

Hope that's of some help hun!

Hi CurlyQs!

Just a little something else too! When I first started with Calgel I too was wary of getting gel on the skin when I was capping the free edge. So, to overcome that I use my metal scraper (I got it in the starter kit - have you got one?) to gently take any away excess gel before curing. I've found it's better to use the metal scraper than an orange stick as its thinner and gets right into the sidewalls.
quote]

Good tip - thx. I am rather paranoid about getting it on the skin. It's tricky when their nails are on the shorter side and a more square shape - I have a hard time getting around the corners of the free edge (which as I am writing this I am realizing that's where they have problems with lifting). I find as each layer cures, it gets a bit harder to get the corner - almost like the layers get a tiny bit rounded at the very edge if that makes sense? I do have a metal scraper - will try it instead of orange sticks I usually use.
Great advice, thx!:hug:

Just one other thing that may be the case (or may not!)....what prep products are your using? I only ask, as you mention Solar Oil, which isn't a Bio or Calgel product and I wondered if you have deviated from the ranges own prep products.

I use Bio, never had a problem with lifting....hell, I might as well be honest and admit in the occasional panic for time (on my own nails only....and only oocasionally!), I've whacked it on myself with nothing more than a cursory wipe of the nails with sanitiser to ensure there are no nasties, and it stayed put for 4 weeks without so much as a tiny lift (prob would have done longer but I soaked it off at that point!). Then one day I switched to another manufacturers prep products, and bang....lifting. Switched back, no lifting.

If Calgel is anything like Bio....and I know its similar, it won't like anything other then whats in its own range.

Just a thought......

Just wanted to let everyone who replied know that I am having better success. I have been taking extra time to cap very carefully, making sure no gel ends up on the skin and have been curing one nail at a time. My overlays are lasting a reasonable time, now. Thanks everyone!
:hug::hug: alex

Just wanted to let everyone who replied know that I am having better success. I have been taking extra time to cap very carefully, making sure no gel ends up on the skin and have been curing one nail at a time. My overlays are lasting a reasonable time, now. Thanks everyone!

yay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WELL DONE !:hug::hug::hug::hug:
AMB XX

Well done. Thanks for letting us know:lol:

Excellent news Alex ... keep up the good work :hug:

Latest posts

Back