Black Toe Nails after gels

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PashMobile

Reaction score
Hi All,
I wonder if someone can help me. I have been doing mobile nails now for quite some time, but I have never really come across infections etc or any kind of problems really, until now.
A client of mine has colour gel on her toes and I came to soak them off today, and two of her nails had partially turned black. One big toe was half grey/balck (it looked bruised) and a small toe had a very small patch of black at the base.
I didn't put anymore gel on (just polish to cover it up) but I'm worried what this might be. The nail plate didn't seem detached at all. The gels have been on for about 4 weeks, and my client did say she had filed her toes a little as they were getting long.
Are these nails going to fall off? Is this something that I've done wrong? Is it just because the nails were too long? Can I put gels over the blackened nails? How can I prevent this happening again?

Thanks so much for advice!

Pash x

IMO...sounds to me like like her toe nails where too long and pressure from her shoes cause this...I have had clients who have gel overlays and love them so much they want to keep them nice for as long as possible, so don't cut there nails as often as they should do...the fault lies with the toe nails being too long, shoes being too small and not with you or with having gel on.

She may loose the nail or it may just grow out fine...time will tell.....you could always cover using enamel....??

Also runners get this...(stamp foot or subungual hematoma i think its called)...I have a client who is a professional runner...and the pressure of all that stomping and the feet sliding forward causing pressing on the toe nails causes the nail to go black and eventually fall off. It always grows back fine....but cant say it would for everyone.

Last edited:
I agree 100% with Angie. Pressure form the toenails being too long. This is unlikely to be an infection.

My husband always comes back from the various treks he does around the world with his big toenails half black. They always recover once the pressure of walking is off.

Hi All,

Thanks so much for advice, you've all put my (guilty!) mind at rest! I hope they don't fall off though!

How often would you soak off and start again with toes? I like to soak off every time they come back (about once every three weeks) what do other people do?

Pash x

Toe nails grow slower than finger nails so my clients don't have them infilled like they do finger nails...they usually let them grow out while cutting there nails as they grow...and have them redone as and when...i would have thought every 3 weeks for toes was a little soon.

I have had this happen too. When I first started doing gel toes I used a traditional buff off/hard gel system. When the toenails grow too long, the added pressure form shoes etc causes trauma to the nail. The first time I saw it I was a nervous wreck!!! I thought it was my fault :(

Since then I've switched to a soakable/soft gel system (Options) It is much more flexible so it flexes with the nail when wearing closed toed shoes. You can also clip the toenails between appointments if they get too long without worrying about the nail overlay cracking.

Now, I consult with my clients prior to their appointment. If they are runners or if they wear pointy toed high heels all day long, I do not recommend gel toes, if they insist on them I have them come in 4 weeks maximum and if needed they can trim them in between.

It is definitely a case of keeping nails a sensible length in my opinion.

My husbands toes are natural no overlay flexible or not :)lol:) and this still happens to him when he is trekking round the world. It can happen to anyone regardless of the overlay if the pressure on the toes is too great.

I have a liquid & powder overlay on my big toenails and have had for 15 years and my toes have never gone black ... because I keep them a sensible length. It is a question of length not which overlay you choose to use.

if you mean a bacteria infection then thats usually green...what this poster is talking about is a black bruise from long toe nails.

Wow, yikes!
I have seen some molds go blackish as well.
I would be apt to believe that since the product is on the toes and if the clients feet were especially sweaty,moist.damp, etc and there was an environment that foster's mildew(i.e. a pocket between gel and toenail)
Also, since toes are prone to injury(stubbing,being stepped on,whathaveyou), in addition to the aformentioned environment, that it was perhaps mold.
But bruising- Yeouch!
I have not seen this from those clients who wish to wear thier toenails longer(unless there has been an injury, however any "infection" in that area-I would assume a combo of mold and or fungi(be it effected from irritation or bacterial).
In contracst, those who wear them very short or are runners who routinely traumatize the nail bed time again,creating that pocket between the nail and skin.....(not what this sounds like) can have similar bruising or a lack of adhesion which requires lengthy treatment in order to correct depending on the severity of the seperation after the fungus/mold/etc is corrected.

My .02
warmly,
jennifer

Wow, yikes!
I have seen some molds go blackish as well.
I would be apt to believe that since the product is on the toes and if the clients feet were especially sweaty,moist.damp, etc and there was an environment that foster's mildew(i.e. a pocket between gel and toenail)
Also, since toes are prone to injury(stubbing,being stepped on,whathaveyou), in addition to the aformentioned environment, that it was perhaps mold.
But bruising- Yeouch!
I have not seen this from those clients who wish to wear thier toenails longer(unless there has been an injury, however any "infection" in that area-I would assume a combo of mold and or fungi(be it effected from irritation or bacterial).
In contracst, those who wear them very short or are runners who routinely traumatize the nail bed time again,creating that pocket between the nail and skin.....(not what this sounds like) can have similar bruising or a lack of adhesion which requires lengthy treatment in order to correct depending on the severity of the seperation after the fungus/mold/etc is corrected.

My .02
warmly,
jennifer

Mold doesnt grow on nails...Have a read of this...:)

http://www.salongeek.com/health-safety-unaturale/2641-moldy-oldy-fun-guys.html

Thank You Bagpuss for posting this link. VERY informative!

I agree with all that has been said above, if it was a bacterial infection, I really think the timescale involved would have left a green stain, not enough time would have passed for it to have turned to black.

Many Thanks to all, All this advice is fantastic!

I hope it's just down to the length of her toe nails. I'm gonna wait till the blackness has gone before I reappy the gel much to my clients disappointment!

Thanks again

Pash x

Other sports involving running and stopping suddenly can also have this result, e.g. I had a client (no gel) who played Hockey and she lost her big toe nails every season. They would then grow back once the season had finished.

Latest posts

Back