Botox & Bruising?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitz

Reaction score
Hi guys I am due to have my Botox top up injections next Tuesday. My last treatment left me with really bad bruising it was for my lower eye wrinkles and so the injection site was say in the top/middle of my cheek bone ....... When the Nurse had done the injection she immediately said I'm so sorry your going to have a bruise there, I didn't think anything of it as over the last two years I have had the odd tiny bruise but did I have one hell of a bruise it was a black eye and not easily disguised with make up it went every colour and was completely under my eye and took nearly two weeks to fade & go she did ring me to see how it was and I was truthful with her.
Now as I have this done on the quiet it would be very difficult to explain bruising again it was hard enough last time. Is there anything the nurse should do to prevent or minimize the potential for bruising ? is it fairly common to bruise ? How do you suggest I approach her regarding bruising without sounding like I am a know it all, as I do want to mention it before my treatment.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

xx

Are you taking any medication? that could have contributed (even asprin):hug:

Start taking arnica pills 4 days before treatment and apply arnica cream straight after-this is what i do when i have any injections...

No medication at all, Ok will get some Arnica tabs & cream, will I get them in any we only have H&B locally.
xx

seeing as the nurse said sorry straight away leads me to think she did something wrong . god knows what to cause such a bruise but i would of asked for a refund on that occasion and id try somewhere else for your next top up. iv had it done at 2 different places, never had bruises with either. mild bruising can be expected but not a huge black eye. you poor thing !

No medication at all, Ok will get some Arnica tabs & cream, will I get them in any we only have H&B locally.
xx
I personally have had a lot of injections over the years,through bad health(not botox though)and I have noticed some nurses/doctors do bruise more than others.I believe it's all in their method.

I have had bruises right up my arm and all over my tummy and then in exactly the same site,same injection but by different Dr/nurse with no problems at all.Perhaps a little more care and attention needs to be taken.Try telling her that it caused a lot of embarrasment last time and could she try to avoid doing the same again please.HTH:hug:

Hi - I know that bruising is really common, could it be that she hit a tiny blood vessel? Ask her why she thinks it happened and is there any way to prevent it, if you do go to someone else, get a recommendation, I've had a bad experience with a Dr! bruising was the least of my worries I ended up with one side of my face completely distorted!! It's a shame you don't live down South, I know of a fantastic nurse who I trust completely, she always attends top up courses to keep up with new proceedures and she's been doing it for years.

Thank you for your replies, the Aesthetic nurse I go to has many years behind her as a Nurse and the last 4 years in Aesthetics.

It could be as I do have a lot of broken veins on my cheeks and she could of as Carlalouise has said hit a vessel ?

BABSann
"Try telling her that it caused a lot of embarrasment last time and could she try to avoid doing the same again please.HTH"

I Will definitely be saying the above

Yes h&b or boots for arnica. I haven't had botox so i dont really know about this, but i do have fillers and i always seem to bruise no matter who does it...but yes, there is a difference in a bruise and a black eye! Have you been to her before and had a good job done by her previously?

Hi,
We have a great experienced doctor who runs our botox & fillers clinic. Most people don't bruise, but you get the odd one that does. It just goes with the territory. Even some people who have not bruised for their previous shots can all of a sudden get a bruise. I asked our doc. why and it seems if you are a little run down or are taking medication it can increase your risk of bruising. Or it can just be one of those things. A doc. can't see under your skin. Its a shame because the great result you get can be addictive! Ask her does she think you will bruise again. If she's good she uses diabetic needles for botox, they don't hurt as much and bruising is minimal.

Hope this helps!

Sue

Unfortunately, brusing can be a side effect. We explain that to patients before any procedure.

Not sure if the nurse did anything wrong because its very difficult to avoid sometimes. Saying that though most patients have no problems at all.

~Yes been to her now this will be my fourth visit and as I have said have had the odd little bruise but nothing that didn't cover up with make up ~ until my black eye lol, I will ask her if she could try her best not to bruise me this time the diabetic needles are the Orange disposable syringes I think so yes she does use those. Will let you all know how it goes. xxx

my business partners friend is a botox nurse. she says that its a funny one, she can do a lady 10 times and no bruise, then bang one day a bruise. I bruise terribly and i want botox too , just waiting for the right time to be able to take a few days off so i dont scare the clients. Karen, Ill come to you and we can live off choc and wine and pamper each other until our wounds have faded!!!! ha xxxxxxx

. I bruise terribly and i want botox too , just waiting for the right time to be able to take a few days off so i dont scare the clients. Karen, Ill come to you and we can live off choc and wine and pamper each other until our wounds have faded!!!! ha xxxxxxx

Deal hun say when ............:hug:

I doubt the Nurse who injected you has done anything untoward. I would advise that you always check that any Nurse administering a prescription-only medication like Botox is doing so either with a Doctor present or has the Nurse Independent Prescriber qualification.

If she had been working in Aesthetics for a few years I am sure she will be an experienced injector. Any treatment which involves a needle entering the skin comes with a risk of bruising. The tip of the needle only needs to catch one of the many bloody vessels around the eye area and you will suffer with a bruise. You could have half a dozen treatments and never bruise then find you bruise on the next treatment.

Medication, alcohol and exercise can all contribute to bruising, Extreme heat (saunas, sunbeds etc), or extreme cold will also increase your bruising risk. I have noticed in my own clinic that a couple of patients have bruising during this horribly cold weather!

I would mention it to her when you go back just so that she knows but I certainly wouldn't be asking for a refund as someone suggested as from what you say she hasn't been negligent. Unfortunately it's a risk and will be stated on the consent form and aftercare info.

Hope this helps :lol:

Both myself and a friend had botox by the same Aesthetician on the same day, she bruised, I didn't. Possibly some people are more suseptible and as previously mentioned it can be a case of how you react on the day.

I doubt the Nurse who injected you has done anything untoward. I would advise that you always check that any Nurse administering a prescription-only medication like Botox is doing so either with a Doctor present or has the Nurse Independent Prescriber qualification.

If she had been working in Aesthetics for a few years I am sure she will be an experienced injector. Any treatment which involves a needle entering the skin comes with a risk of bruising. The tip of the needle only needs to catch one of the many bloody vessels around the eye area and you will suffer with a bruise. You could have half a dozen treatments and never bruise then find you bruise on the next treatment.

Medication, alcohol and exercise can all contribute to bruising, Extreme heat (saunas, sunbeds etc), or extreme cold will also increase your bruising risk. I have noticed in my own clinic that a couple of patients have bruising during this horribly cold weather!

I would mention it to her when you go back just so that she knows but I certainly wouldn't be asking for a refund as someone suggested as from what you say she hasn't been negligent. Unfortunately it's a risk and will be stated on the consent form and aftercare info.

Hope this helps :lol:

You took the words right out of my mouth! (I feel a song coming on).

More importantly - ensure she has NIP qualification, as said above (something I have rambled on about before)!

Hi RGA - from one NIP to another X

One common side effect is bruising as you are piercing the skin with a needle and if you go through any vessel you will cause a bleeding within the tissues leading to a bruise. As long as you know the anatomy you can try to avoid these vessels but it is possible to go through one at some point. Just because you bruised ths time doesn't mean you will bruise again. Prophylactic therapy can help, auriderm is good as well as arnica.

Unfortunately, some people do bruise easier than others. It just happens.

Unfortunately, some people do bruise easier than others. It just happens.

The tendancy to bruise is associated with the practitioner putting the needle through a blood vessel no matter what the size of it. If you don't do this you won't bruise, if you pierce the skin which is full of vascular vessels of various sizes and get a minute ooze then this won't bruise.

Latest posts

Back