Brazillian straightening - Part 2

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noodle

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Please may I have some professional advice from you lovely Hair Geeks?

I had a Brazillian hair straightening treatment on my hair last Tuesday.

As instructed, I did not wash my hair until today, and then only used the Keratin shampoo and conditioner I was given. I left my hair to dry naturally, no hairdryer or straighteners, as I was told that I would be able to simply wash my hair and leave it.

In between, I made sure not to let my hair get wet in the rain or when showering, and only straightened the ends of my hair with my straighteners which I was asked to do in order to make sure my hair stayed straight.

My hair has now dried naturally, and it appears to look exactly the same as before I had the treatment, which doesn't seen right to me. Not just because of the price of the treatment, but that I expected it to be dead straight for at least the next four months (the whole point of me having it done in the first place!).

The hairdresser asked me to call her on Tuesday, just to confirm that all was ok and that I was happy, and at the moment I have every intention of calling her to say that I'm not ... in fact, I'm really disappointed.

Advice please?

Thank you.

Why did you think it would be straight? It doesn't straighten your hair it relaxes frizz and improves condition. I think you've been mislead if they told you it straightens. Also I would give it a couple more days/washes as it does improve after a little while sometimes

Please may I have some professional advice from you lovely Hair Geeks?

I had a Brazillian hair straightening treatment on my hair last Tuesday.

As instructed, I did not wash my hair until today, and then only used the Keratin shampoo and conditioner I was given. I left my hair to dry naturally, no hairdryer or straighteners, as I was told that I would be able to simply wash my hair and leave it.

In between, I made sure not to let my hair get wet in the rain or when showering, and only straightened the ends of my hair with my straighteners which I was asked to do in order to make sure my hair stayed straight.

My hair has now dried naturally, and it appears to look exactly the same as before I had the treatment, which doesn't seen right to me. Not just because of the price of the treatment, but that I expected it to be dead straight for at least the next four months (the whole point of me having it done in the first place!).

The hairdresser asked me to call her on Tuesday, just to confirm that all was ok and that I was happy, and at the moment I have every intention of calling her to say that I'm not ... in fact, I'm really disappointed.

Advice please?

Thank you.

Basically the hairdresser obviously doesnt know what a brazillian blow dry is capable of... You have been wrongly sold the treatment! Bbd's will smooth, condition and reduce frizz, and if you're lucky, it will straighten it slightly, say you have really tight curls, you will have looser curls...also, the idea of a bbd is that it's easier and quicker for you to manage, it doesn't manage itself, itd probably take you half the time to blow dry and straighten it now, and you should notice it feeling healthier and smoother...
She really shouldnt have mislead you though as the results she has told you are so unrealistic, it's laughable!

Thanks for your replies and your advice, which is very much appreciated.

I genuinely thought that I wouldn't have to be straightening my hair every day, as I did before I'd had the treatment done, because it kind of defeats the object one would think.

My hair is naturally quite straight anyway, but it's just the ends which tend to "kink" up. From what I'd heard, I had been led to believe that this wouldn't be necessary.

I will give it a few more days though and wash it again to see what happens.

I'll also update this thread after I've spoken with the hairdresser.

I to was very dissapointed after my first Brazillian Blow Dry, it really hadnt made any difference, so a week later i had it applied again and this time it was much better, a looser curl and when i got cought in a shower it didnt frizz up. Sometimes 2 applications must be needed.

As promised, here's the update:

After two more washes, I'm pleased to say that my hair is now much straighter and less frizzy than before I had the treatment, and so much more manageable too. The comb and straighteners glide through my hair so easily, and the condition is much improved.

I did call the hairdresser to explain my concerns, when she assured me that after a few washes and once the keratin treatment had really been absorbed, I would see a noticeable difference.

I do think the word "straightening" in Brazillian Straightening is slightly misleading in itself though.

Another question about Brazillian straightening please?

I understand that shampoos containing sulphate are not to be used, which is why I was given a bottle of Keratin shampoo presumably.

What happens if I want to have my hair coloured with Wella Colour Touch semi-permanent? Having read the ingredients, I can see that it contains sulphate. It may be an obvious question, but I'm slightly anxious that it could possibly spoil my straightening treatment?

Any advice please?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Your color won't undo what you have done, but it may not feel quite as sleek and smooth as it has. The demi color will slightly expand the outer layer of your hair strand (which can "break" off some of the Keratin coating) and then deposit the color in and because the color is formulated to attach to and react with keratin protein, it will also slightly coat the outer layer of your hair, sort of replacing what was expanded to allow the color in.

You may want to invest in some of the after care products made by the smoothing system you are using- most of them have either a deep conditioner or a leave in treatment that helps support the smoothing treatment.

The more treatments you have, the smoother and silker your hair begins to feel. You'll defo notice when the treatment begins to wear off, tangles start coming back, frizz becomes more noticable and it loses the soft silky feeling that it had.

Latest posts

Back