Brown ring under arms! Spray tanning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natsjl

Reaction score
Does anyone else get these? I love tanning and the results are always fine but everytime I spray I have to buff a dark ring out from under the arm (going towards the elbow) this usually comes out but if it's dried its a little harder.

I don't spray too near the arms when doing the back or front and I dry under the arms before they put them back down, i've told clients not to touch their body with the arms and they are still there! So just wondered if any of you know how it gets there? After watching the Nouvatan video on facebook this morning I do nothing differently or so I thought!

Hi Nats, I am sorry but I don't understand your description... A ring under the arm going towards the elbow?
Is it under the armpit? Is it around the whole arm or just the underside?

Its not easy to describe what you mean, but I am just trying to imagine it ;) xx

If you mean what I think you mean then I get it too!

It has never affected the final tan - I've always put it down to deodorant residue, even if people haven't put any on, most deodorants these days are super effective and you can still feel a residue after washing them.

I know what you mean.

It is only the guide colour so you don't need to buff it and it will tan perfectly fine without buffing it.

Some of my clients get this and I think it is from where their arm touches their side/boob. I just leave it alone because I know the tan will come out fine without messing with it just like the creases some clients get on their shoulders from moving their arms around during the tan.

Yep, I get it too and put it down to armpit touching the arm. I make the client aware and reassure them it washes off.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Yes hon, the client needs to keep her arms away from her body. It will wash off though. I dont usually buff either as it is just the guide color and does look nasty but will wash off. Watch your client like a hawk, they do drop their arms when they don't even realize

Don't worry too much

Glad it's not just me then, so it won't leave a darker mark when its washed off? Sometimes they are quite big and not very pretty looking.

Sorry my description was vague but glad most of you understood what I meant, just done my daughter and as she's hasn't a large bust she didn't have the marks so I think it must be when the arm touches the bust! I've never really taken notice of who it affects as it happens most times.

Thanks all xx

No it will not leave any marks when washed off, even though those patches may not look great while the guide colour is on the tan will be fine.

Not sure if this helps but I have learned to ignore any darker patches as I am tanning clients. I use Nouvatan and their kit came with a buffing mit.... so initially I felt that I should be using it. However from experience it was the worst thing to do. I had one larger client/friend who's legs swelled up badly after the tan and pretty quickly the creases around her ankles seeped some tan. She was going away the next day and insisted that I buff and re-spray the area despite my protests. I did it but said that I felt that it would be a disaster...and it was. It was patchy and looked dreadful. Next time she took my advice, we left it and it was perfect. I always say this to my clients....'It doesn't matter if you see darker patches in creases or where skin has rubbed/touched so please just ignore them and it will shower off leaving an even tan underneath!' So far so good....but there is no doubt it is tricky with larger clients!!

Sorry to go slightly off topic but do u follow the same principle for tan that sits in the creases of the neck? Do you just leave it? I have had a few people that seem to get lines of tan in their neck and I wasn't sure of I should leave it or try and dab it?

Thanks x

Sorry to go slightly off topic but do u follow the same principle for tan that sits in the creases of the neck? Do you just leave it? I have had a few people that seem to get lines of tan in their neck and I wasn't sure of I should leave it or try and dab it?

Thanks x
I follow the same rule of thumb wherever the mark is.

I spray the client and dry them off with the hose if there is a need (under bust etc..) and I leave the tan alone. I do not buff ANYTHING. The tan will turn out fine, you do not need to buff, dab or touch up the tan because you can see discrepancies in the guide colour.

In fact when left alone I have NEVER had any issues. As soon as you buff, touch up, dab, pat etc... you risk making an issue.

The DHA sinks into the skin and starts to work while the guide sits on the skin and can smudge, gather in creases, run etc but this won't affect the resulting tan.

My advice is to spray them and then leave it alone. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I totally agree with Baggybear - leave any marks/patches well alone. I've also learnt from experience. When i spray the neck i ask the client to tilt head back & keep it back while i spray & then dry with hose. While i'm doing it i explain that if i don't dry, as soon as they move their neck a dark mark will appear & even though it won't affect the tan after showering, i'm doing it so they have nothing to worry about for the rest of the day (theres nothing worse than stressing over how the tan will be tomorrow). I also explain that they may get tan settling into the creases in the neck, elbow & knee & i always stress that they should'nt pick at it as it will shower away & look gorgeous in the morning. Hope this makes sense x

Thanks for the advice, from now on I won't mess with it and i'll explain to the client that it will be fine once washed. :biggrin:

Thanks! I will stop dabbing away now! :)

I posted something similar a few days ago but my client was completely sweating the tan off, she looked like a zebra all over & was getting worse to the point it was dripping over the floor, I got her to wash it off as it was far too much for my liking, was there anything else I could have done? x

Latest posts

Back