Brush contamination

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiebbaby

Reaction score
Okay guys, I thought I was doing everything to the book, yet I have noticed today when I am wiping my brush, there is a slight yellow tinge, only noticed today though so I am hoping I may be able to save it. I have two brushes the cnd pro styler #8, and the cnd ultra sculptor #10, it is my #8 brush which I use the most, but I am now concerned that the same might happen to my #10 as I do use this also but just not as often, and I store them both horizontally in there little black beds (lol). I am a bit confused as I was taught to only use clean monomer to clean your brush, then wipe untill nearly dry then store in box with lint free pad at end were bristles are. Also got taught when doing enhancments, if I must wipe my brush to use a lint free pad with a little scrub fresh on???? although I think this might be wrong.

How should I be storing my brush?? wet/dry,, I have just got both brushes up out of bed, and put them in there dappen dishes (put in bottom of a jar each (the disshes) with a little monomer, blutac at top of the jar so as just the tips/flags of brush is in the monomer, then coverd jars with tinfoil,,, is this ok to help if they are contaminated,,, aslo would I need to do this every night? OHHHH please help as I am getting in a right tizz,,, my #8 brush is less than 2 months old and my #10 is only 2weeks old

Thanks guys xx:confused::confused:

If you do a search you will find loads of advice on keeping & cleaning your brush, I would wash it gently in a mild baby shamphoo and warm water and rinse well leave, to dry overnight then you should be good to go.... soak it in a little monomer prior to use.

Everything that you state in your post that you were taught is correct.

The most important thing to stop contamination is to not let your brushes dry out. Keep using them regularly. If you are not using one brush, then maybe dip and clean once a week in monomer and re-store it.

Letting it DRY is one of the main reasons brushes get contaminated.

Letting them sit in monomer is not the practical way to stop yellowing.

Thanks guys, so when i have finished with my brush and i clean in fresh monomer should i wipe dry on tissue and store as i have been, or should i just place in box with lint free pad??I am sure iead somewhere that the tissue you wipe your brush on could contaminate your brush ??

Thanks kate

Thanks guys, so when i have finished with my brush and i clean in fresh monomer should i wipe dry on tissue and store as i have been, or should i just place in box with lint free pad??I am sure iead somewhere that the tissue you wipe your brush on could contaminate your brush ??

Thanks kate

I place mine in my box with a lint free pad (usually the same pad until it starts to look shabby).

Last edited:
Reckon thats why my brush got contaminated ... by letting it dry out (must be that because im doing everything else as reccommended!!!!).

I only use my brush at weekends, would you recommend that I then just give it a dip in monomer once a week prior to using it or should this be a daily ritual?

Really dont want to be loosing anymore brushes and as the storage seems correct this must be the root of my problems!!!!!

Reckon thats why my brush got contaminated ... by letting it dry out (must be that because im doing everything else as reccommended!!!!).

I only use my brush at weekends, would you recommend that I then just give it a dip in monomer once a week prior to using it or should this be a daily ritual?

Really dont want to be loosing anymore brushes and as the storage seems correct this must be the root of my problems!!!!!

As I said in my post above ....

The most important thing to stop contamination is to not let your brushes dry out. Keep using them regularly. If you are not using one brush, then maybe dip and clean once a week in monomer and re-store it.

Letting it DRY is one of the main reasons brushes get contaminated.

Letting them sit in monomer is not the practical way to stop yellowing.

Just a thought Katie.........are you working at a station or carrying your brush around in your kit? If you are mobile then is your brush case carried horizontal?

Hi julia, I have a silver box I carry all my nail stuff around in (well what i need ha ha) and everything in it is stored horizontally, and my brush is in seperate boxes purchased off s2, I think it must off become contaminated through becoming dry, I usually clean in clean monomer and wipe as dry as possible, but think I should just be wiping out excess monomer. iygwim.

I can not think of anything else, although I did try using radical, with same brush,,,,,,,do you think this might be it :(

xxx

Hi julia, I have a silver box I carry all my nail stuff around in (well what i need ha ha) and everything in it is stored horizontally, and my brush is in seperate boxes purchased off s2, I think it must off become contaminated through becoming dry, I usually clean in clean monomer and wipe as dry as possible, but think I should just be wiping out excess monomer. iygwim.

I can not think of anything else, although I did try using radical, with same brush,,,,,,,do you think this might be it :(

xxx

It is the letting it dry out that does it .. believe me I've seen it 1000 times with students who only pick up their brush once in a blue moon.

Just clean in monomer and then squeeze out excess but do NOT dry as much as possible.

Now that you have contaminated them you have nothing to loose.

Use your normal shampoo on it gently and massage it in (warm water) then rinse (do this twice).

Pat it dry, then apply your normal hair conditioner (leave for 2 mins), rinse then pat dry and shape.......

Leave out of box to dry for 24 hours, then give it a try..... I bet it wont be contaminated anymore:)

It's often crap left in the base of the brush that's contaminated (not the brush itself).

The glue that holds the bristles is chemical resistant (as well as the metal ferrel/feral (whatever), so the contaminants are in the hair ....... well wash the hair.

Your brush is made from Sable, very fine hair, so treat it like you would treat your own, give it a shampoo and condition every now and then.

Just let it dry thoroghly and naturally before using it again

Yes, this rescue package is definitely worth a try.

Re using the conditioner, Carl, I take it that the conditioner does not make the hair too soft to have the 'snap' required to work with it??

Now that you have contaminated them you have nothing to loose.

Use your normal shampoo on it gently and massage it in (warm water) then rinse (do this twice).

Pat it dry, then apply your normal hair conditioner (leave for 2 mins), rinse then pat dry and shape.......

Leave out of box to dry for 24 hours, then give it a try..... I bet it wont be contaminated anymore:)

It's often crap left in the base of the brush that's contaminated (not the brush itself).

The glue that holds the bristles is chemical resistant (as well as the metal ferrel/feral (whatever), so the contaminants are in the hair ....... well wash the hair.

Your brush is made from Sable, very fine hair, so treat it like you would treat your own, give it a shampoo and condition every now and then.

Just let it dry thoroghly and naturally before using it again

Yes, this rescue package is definitely worth a try.

Re using the conditioner, Carl, I take it that the conditioner does not make the hair too soft to have the 'snap' required to work with it??

It gets the "snap" back after it's first torture exposed to monomer:)
maybe the second fill, but it sure beats buying a new brush.

This doesn't revive a dead brush (a dead brush is dried out and porous after prolonged use).

But a reasonable brush that needs a new lease on life ....... you soon find out ..... a dead brush is a dead brush.

You can usually tell by the color of the hair, dead brushes have paler hair and acrylic sticks to them.

It's so difficult to bin a brush when it's been your workmate for so long.

I have a brush graveyard in my cupboard:cry:

Good to know!! You sentimental old soul!! :hug: A 'brush yard' instead of a 'bone yard' :lol:
It gets the "snap" back after it's first torture exposed to monomer:)
maybe the second fill, but it sure beats buying a new brush.

This doesn't revive a dead brush (a dead brush is dried out and porous after prolonged use).

But a reasonable brush that needs a new lease on life ....... you soon find out ..... a dead brush is a dead brush.

You can usually tell by the color of the hair, dead brushes have paler hair and acrylic sticks to them.

It's so difficult to bin a brush when it's been your workmate for so long.

I have a brush graveyard in my cupboard:cry:

Good to know!! You sentimental old soul!! :hug: A 'brush yard' instead of a 'bone yard' :lol:

I've got an image of a cupboard with hundreds of brushes laying in tired little rows:lol:

I've got an image of a cupboard with hundreds of brushes laying in tired little rows:lol:

I think I should send him some of the S2 'worm coffins' and he can 'stack em and rack em' like they do here in Spain. :lol:

Hi guys,,,, I have washed my brush twice now and conditioned it,,as advised above, but I am still getting yellow staining on my paper. It does not hapen when I am wiping it, it only happens if i press my brush on the paper near the ferrule (soz if wrong) should I not use this anymore, or will it be ok??

thanks guys xx

Well, it was worth a try, but I think you will have to get a new one now xxx

I know :( ... I have got a CND #10, but I like to use my #8 sometimes when I have clients with tiny nail plates. Ohh well it was woth a try.

xx

Latest posts

Back