Bucks Fizz, anyone?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really sorry to hear it was not a success, but learn from this - Is it worth making your marketing more health and fitness based?

Along the lines of...

'After the gym what about a relaxing massage to ease aching muscles?'

'For busy and active people, my nails last longer and are stronger'

'Muscles look better with a spray tan and/or waxed'

Maybe listen to some of the feedback and go for health bars etc at next event.

Have you offered the staff at gym an incentive to recommend you?

It's always hard at the start, try not to get disillusioned and keep on going, you only need a good client or two who will recommend a few more and you will be up and running.

I will look at those options and come up with something later... Just popped on to read this all out over the phone to my mum lol

I've been mulling this over and I think Alex-Lydia has beaten me to it!

My thoughts were that you have, actually, gained from the day. You've gained a lot of valuable feedback:

• The marketing available on-site is limited
  • There are, however, some treatments on your list which WILL appeal to this market.
  • For some of your treatments you will need to market off-site. I don't know if, for example, any local businesses would let you do some mini-manicures, say, for free, one Friday afternoon during lunch and breaks?
Now, from this, how about ANOTHER day when you have a table with raw veg, fruit bites? Have a look at what drinks sell most in their cafe/bar, and put out small samples of these...hopefully the gym will sell them cost-price in return for you marketing them.

Have a chair, and offer 5-minute neck/shoulder massages, to people who have finished their work-out.

While you've got them pinned down (maybe not literally!) talk about how regular massage can help their performance. Get them to book a further treatment while they are there; we've all taken leaflets and meant, at the time to book in, but haven't followed up. It's better to get a sitting duck.

The next bit is a bit cynical, but play on their egos. Ask advice about exercise. Tell them, if it's true, how good they look. Establish a relationship.

I know you are good at this, but sometimes it's easier to see the problem from a distance, and I hope this helps. x

I will take this on board too xxx

Helen, When I first started out I also had a room in my local gym.

The staff were not helpful, and like your gym the advertising availability was very limited.

The clientele were always in a hurry, they would race in to get to a class and race out again on their way back to work or home or to Asda :rolleyes:.

They maybe had time for half a leg wax lol.

The best thing I ever did was leave.

I moved to the top floor of a hairdressers.

I had no clients when I opened my little salon.

The hairdressers downstairs were fab and worked hard to send people up to me from day one.

The rest was up to me once they got upstairs ..

I have worked til my bones ached.
I treat my clients with total respect but do not allow myself to be abused in any way.
I am always researching and learning 'stuff'.
I keep abreast of what is happening and what is new.
CUSTOMER SERVICE is equally as important as ..
Delivering high quality work
'That will do' is never said in my salon!!!

I have been in my little salon for nearly 9 years now. I have never advertised, my business has been built entirely on word of mouth.

I know all of my salon clients whether they are mine or my colleague's. Every one of them is valued and important and I make sure they 'feel' that.

You can do it, I just wonder if you can do it where you currently are.

I am so wishing you luck my lovely xxx

Helen!!!! How different do you look in your new avatar.

I had to look twice and then again.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Helen, When I first started out I also had a room in my local gym.

The staff were not helpful, and like your gym the advertising availability was very limited.

The clientele were always in a hurry, they would race in to get to a class and race out again on their way back to work or home or to Asda :rolleyes:.

They maybe had time for half a leg wax lol.

The best thing I ever did was leave.

I moved to the top floor of a hairdressers.

I had no clients when I opened my little salon.

The hairdressers downstairs were fab and worked hard to send people up to me from day one.

The rest was up to me once they got upstairs ..

I have worked til my bones ached.
I treat my clients with total respect but do not allow myself to be abused in any way.
I am always researching and learning 'stuff'.
I keep abreast of what is happening and what is new.
CUSTOMER SERVICE is equally as important as ..
Delivering high quality work
'That will do' is never said in my salon!!!

I have been in my little salon for nearly 9 years now. I have never advertised, my business has been built entirely on word of mouth.

I know all of my salon clients whether they are mine or my colleague's. Every one of them is valued and important and I make sure they 'feel' that.

You can do it, I just wonder if you can do it where you currently are.

I am so wishing you luck my lovely xxx

Got loads to think about here... I may have to reassess my location. I can get out within 6 months but lose half my deposit :-(

H x

I'd rather lose half my deposit than flogging a dead horse...

I'd rather lose half my deposit than flogging a dead horse...

I knew you'd say that... Lol.

Ultimately, it's not mine to lose. I do need to have a chat with my dad first but I'm certain he'll be ok with it.

The tricky part is developing a skin thick enough in time for my so-called mates here to have a good giggle.

I know, I know... You're all gonna say stuff 'em but it's not that easy. I'm still human and an emotional one at that

:)

If your so called mates take pleasure in your learning curve I would suggest that you could do worse than find new mates.
;)
You have to do what's right for your business, not what's right for your mates.

I knew you'd say that... Lol.

Ultimately, it's not mine to lose. I do need to have a chat with my dad first but I'm certain he'll be ok with it.

The tricky part is developing a skin thick enough in time for my so-called mates here to have a good giggle.

I know, I know... You're all gonna say stuff 'em but it's not that easy. I'm still human and an emotional one at that

:)

By here, I meant in Chester not London... God, I reread that and it sounded like here! Not salon geek here. Chester here...

H x

If your so called mates take pleasure in your learning curve I would suggest that you could do worse than find new mates.
;)
You have to do what's right for your business, not what's right for your mates.

This is going to come out so wrong but 'my' mates here are actually all hubby's mates/family

Apart from the girls I went to college with and I know 2 will crack up for sure but the others I'm still in touch with will be gutted

I'm off to sleep, night all and Thank You xxx

Oh i've only just seen this, I would have come along and supported you! x

Hey I wouldn't say your day was a bust! You learnt a lot more about your potential clientele. If you end up staying it could really help.

You found out the are in a hurry, like things to be simple and straight forward, are not interested in certain treatments and are health conscious.

Maybe focus on express services? As said before by another poster those that improve performance or appearance.

Instead of advertising your Business and prices maybe focus on the treatment benefits. Could you write something on the benefits of massage or waxing and distribute?

Could you provide an "express package", maybe 20 min bns massage x 6. Sell as a "post workout" mini indulgence. Could come with post workout protein drink instead of a coffee!

Could you offer a competition package? Full body wax/tanning.

Perhaps instead of the advertised free hand massage, why not give new gym members a complimentary service, but give gym voucher of some sort to include in sign up pack.

Some quick ideas, sorry to hear it is difficult ATM but I'm sure things will get better! Xxx

i was brought up in Bromborough hun :D I have literally read and ran but will read through the thread tomorrow and reply xxxx

I dont normally say a business closing is a good thing, but.... Game in the city centre has closed down, it dosent look too big of a shop, real close to primark so lots of passers by, and watrose is next door so you can get the people who like to live a healthy life too.
Maybe give the council a call and ask what the rent and council tax is on the building then work it out from there as I guess you only pay rent in a gym and the electric etc... Is added into te price xoxo

Latest posts

Back