Bucks Fizz, anyone?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friend did one once and we got loads of leaflets out because it looked like people had an interest because there was a good few people already there, give us all on here a few weeks warning and a place and time and I'm sure we could sort something out so it looks like there are clients interested to drag in public xoxo

Cheers guys, Tomme you do make me laugh...

I did advertise and I put it on Facebook as an event but only 1 friend showed.

Loads say they'll attend then no-one comes.

Oh well, I've just been at madisonsmummy's house having a cuppa to cheer up a bit and am indoors now.

I feel like crap but I haven't cried... yet.

I'm going to do an anniversary one if I am still there but it is dead. I've had a few clients but nowhere near enough to make the rent on the room. The next rent is due the 11th April and I haven't got it at all, so I will more than likely be booted for non-payment anyway, which would be a shame with all the work that went into getting it ready and the fact that I'll lose half my deposit, which isnt mine to lose, my dad lent it to me.

But yeah, I tried x

That's a problem being in a gym though isn't it because its mainly their clients who know ur there, can non gym members go for treatments or can't they get in?
Keep confident, maybe on quiet times stand by the gym reception giving out leaflets or put them in all the lockers in the changing rooms? Xoxo

Oh bless your heart...i'm sorry it didn't go well, but you got yourself out there and got noticed, even if not in the way you expected. Be proud of yourself for giving it a go!

Do you do massage?
Maybe you could concentrate your promotions on things that go well with exercise, mainly massage and vanity treatments.

You should've told the stupid git to take a flyer since he obviously needed his monobrow waxed. Typical lads trying to impress eachother.

Keep your chin up sweetheart and keep working hard. It will come, even if it does take time. Can you leave posters in the changing rooms and flyers in the lockers? I made up a price list booklet so it had explanations about everything and put it in the local leisure centre when i started up. I made sure to have brightly coloured covers (blue, green, pink, yellow, purple) to attract attention and paid to put them with the other leaflets they have. I got loads of clients from it and i'm nowhere near them xx

The gym is member only yet non-members are allowed to come in to the treatments rooms. I have one and there is an osteopath next to me

The gym itself is dead strict on posters, I am only allowed to put price lists and business cards and 1 x A4 ad on the tables by the vending machines. That's it! I asked if I could put a posters up behind every WC cubicle in the Ladies and was refused, I didn't even bother to ask about the Mens

And I'm allowed to put a poster on my door. I have one with my opening hours that even says Feel welcome to come in for a FREE hand and arm massage but NO-ONE has taken me up on it

I did research the gym/area and was told that the last therapist did really well but got pregnant so gave it up

I am starting to think it's me, maybe I'm too fat for them - I guess being in a gym they expect the therapist to be like Kate Moss thin and I'm more Beth Ditto thin

I always smile at them, I always say hi yet I've noticed even regulars that have got to know my face, if I say hi they look at me like I'm mad or something...

There are security doors so unless I was outside all day every day, no-one can get in to see me/know I'm there

I do massage as it goes... yet have tried to do all the cleanse, detox, revive, relax - all that kind of wording

The most popular thing is eyebrow shaping and 1/2 leg waxes. That's all I seem to do.

I have been in touch with Groupon and am doing an offer just waiting for it to go live now and am praying that sells but even if it does, it won't be in time to get the room rent :-(

H x

There isn't a reception... It's a discount branch of a well known gym

My prices are dead low I think but I guess it's not low enough for them

I cannot reduce them anymore though it would be silly

I hope the maths with the Groupon makes it worthwhile - I do worry about people being forced into pricing *too* cheaply by the Groupon sales people - thus making it not worth the effort in terms of the Groupon itself (as opposed to potential repeat business).

I hope the maths with the Groupon makes it worthwhile - I do worry about people being forced into pricing *too* cheaply by the Groupon sales people - thus making it not worth the effort in terms of the Groupon itself (as opposed to potential repeat business).

Don't worry Ruthie Baby, I took no prisoners when I had my meeting on Thursday.

I told the guy that I was reluctant due to all the bad press and even told him about how threads on here had put me off. I challenged him to prove every body wrong and he matched what I asked for. He actually admitted the oversell problem had happened once too often but would work with me to find a suitable number cap. At the end of the day, product wise I'm in profit, it's my time that will be paid low but rather be paid low than not at all

H xxx

Don't worry Ruthie Baby, I took no prisoners when I had my meeting on Thursday.

I told the guy that I was reluctant due to all the bad press and even told him about how threads on here had put me off. I challenged him to prove every body wrong and he matched what I asked for. He actually admitted the oversell problem had happened once too often but would work with me to find a suitable number cap. At the end of the day, product wise I'm in profit, it's my time that will be paid low but rather be paid low than not at all

H xxx

Ah that's good... I do hope it all works out for you - you really deserve success with this!

Sorry to hear it went the same way as most of my salon events have.
Things will get better xx

Sorry to hear about your open day. Maybe next time you could get the press on board or a local magazine to advertise it. Free goody bags ? If you could get some local businesses to donate something, even 10% off vouchers they will be getting advertisement in return.

The rent situation is tricky. Do you have a business plan ? I'm sure you know this already but the average business takes 2/3 years before they start making a profit probably even more since the recession so all businesses should really have a back fund at least for the first few months.

You mention your prices are low, This could be the problem. Everyone wants a bargain but people like to think they are still getting a lot for there money. If you are to cheap people think they won't be getting a quality treatment.

I agree with Bombini about being careful you aren't too cheap.

I would recommend changing your offer of a free hand and arm massage to a complimentary one with another treatment. People can feel reluctant to bother you when they aren't paying and could be worried about you trying to upsell to them. However, everyone loves a bargain xx

Sorry to hear that it hasnt been the success that you wanted, it sounds like you've worked really hard for it.

It sounds to me as though the difficulty is the venue, not you. Please don't put yourself down. Any workplace that minimises advertising to that degree is going to be difficult. Plus, if people are anything like me, once I've hauled my lardy asse round the gym, the last thing I want is for people to see me as a sweaty mess!

As you are on a business park have you considered targeting other businesses? You might be well placed to attract people at lunchtimes / after work? There's lots of advantages of the location if you pitch it to the right people.

You could speak to the HR dept for other businesses and offer them an exclusive 'loyalty' scheme? If you arent comfortable with that, what about putting flyers on cars in the car parks?

Lots of luck - I think you need to think of creative ways of marketing as you are so limited by the gym, I'm sure you can do it, you seem very motivated.

all my prices are here:

Touch Beauty @ Klick Fitness - Service Menu

would you all be a love and have a look?

I had some goody bags today with various bits in and NO-ONE took one, I had to laugh the other day when I was filling them, a lady walked in and asked for a price list so I gave it to her and she saw the bags. She said, "oh dear, you got lumbered with them then?" I said what do you mean? and she said the gym couldn't give them away when they had an open day :eek:

They are like the childrens bookstart bags but with the company name on them...

I trekked all round the business park the night my hubby finished painting and all I got was we'll put a flyer in the staff room... The guy in the room next door to me and I are getting a list together and we will be contacting the HR depts and visiting local businesses together. It's good having him there because he, like me is finding the advertising hard so at least we can brainstorm together (and go to Subway for our £3 lunches lol )

I'm just gonna put it down to a bad experience, tomorrow is another day. I did have a bit of a cry earlier in the end so gonna go to bed in a minute and hopefully things'll seem better in the morning.

Thank you all though for all your comments but if you could give me feedback on my prices I'll love you all forever x

I don't do L&P, hopi or spray tanning there so ignore those prices

Part of the lease/fumes/health & safety

Sorry to hear it didn't go as planned, don't be disheartened though, you may not of got the support from the public today but reading your thread you have lots of support on hear for the meantime :)
X x

I'm feeling a bit bleurgh atm, lol, so haven't checked prices really (think bikini maybe a little low), but i think you should change your font colour away from the green to either blue or the stoney/beige colour. It's a little difficult to read.

Your headings for a few of the pages also seem too large, so i'd reduce those to make it more visually appealing.

If you can pay for block bookings through paypal, can you make it available for all treatments?

I think it would also be nice on the services page if you could describe the service a little. I find a lot of clients need things broken down for them and i don't know if everyone would understand what a natural manicure or a shellac manicure was for example.

I'm curious, why do you have a list of treatments that are also available but no prices...like the intimate waxing? It might bring in more clients.

I love the logo pic, salon name and font and page colour with the blue. It looks lovely, professional and relaxing. Also loving the charity events section. Really nice website, well done xx

Hmm I'm in a gym too and find it difficult as well. Hard to get people in no matter what you do, the only thing really keeping me a float for the month are my ipl treatments. I have a few clients a week but no where near where I'd like to be.

I really think its because people want to workout and then get out, they don't stay unless it's to gossip about others by the bar. It's trying to focus on getting people from outside the gym to come but that too is hard as people often think your members only (I put no membership required to book services and that doesn't work)

I understand what your going through :(

Really sorry to hear it was not a success, but learn from this - Is it worth making your marketing more health and fitness based?

Along the lines of...

'After the gym what about a relaxing massage to ease aching muscles?'

'For busy and active people, my nails last longer and are stronger'

'Muscles look better with a spray tan and/or waxed'

Maybe listen to some of the feedback and go for health bars etc at next event.

Have you offered the staff at gym an incentive to recommend you?

It's always hard at the start, try not to get disillusioned and keep on going, you only need a good client or two who will recommend a few more and you will be up and running.

I've been mulling this over and I think Alex-Lydia has beaten me to it!

My thoughts were that you have, actually, gained from the day. You've gained a lot of valuable feedback:

• The marketing available on-site is limited
  • There are, however, some treatments on your list which WILL appeal to this market.
  • For some of your treatments you will need to market off-site. I don't know if, for example, any local businesses would let you do some mini-manicures, say, for free, one Friday afternoon during lunch and breaks?
Now, from this, how about ANOTHER day when you have a table with raw veg, fruit bites? Have a look at what drinks sell most in their cafe/bar, and put out small samples of these...hopefully the gym will sell them cost-price in return for you marketing them.

Have a chair, and offer 5-minute neck/shoulder massages, to people who have finished their work-out.

While you've got them pinned down (maybe not literally!) talk about how regular massage can help their performance. Get them to book a further treatment while they are there; we've all taken leaflets and meant, at the time to book in, but haven't followed up. It's better to get a sitting duck.

The next bit is a bit cynical, but play on their egos. Ask advice about exercise. Tell them, if it's true, how good they look. Establish a relationship.

I know you are good at this, but sometimes it's easier to see the problem from a distance, and I hope this helps. x

Latest posts

Back