Buffing L&P to high shine

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
As we know, my course wasn't of the highest standards.. Also, she pretty much left me to my own devices figuring I had enough experience to figure it out :rolleyes:

Anyhow.............
When it came time to finishing the nail and buffing.. it was basically "ok, use this one first, then this one, then this one, and you're done".
There was no critiqueing of my finished product or of my technique.

So, my questions to all of you are these:

1. Is there a trick to getting a perfect shiney finish? Any tips or tricks I need to know?
  2. And, is oil always used (btw, we never used it in class except at the end of the service) and at what point do you add it if using it when buffing (and can it be used with all buffers?).
  3. About how long does it take you to buff to a high shine? Just the buffing part, not the finish filing/shaping.
Thanks in advance:hug:

No secret techniques from me im afraid!...Its wolf then fox, then being very thorough buff with shark plain side then green side...then bit of miracle shine on the snow monkey and buff with that to finish! then oil! I get a good shine tho I have to say I have 'shine envy' i.e I never think mine is as shiney as that of the educators doing demos whenever im on a course!

I never buff with oil as I can never remember if its going to wreck my buffers or not so just stick to putting it on after! x

A snow monkey wasn't used on my course... and I don't remember those in the display rack at the distributors.... I don't know that one :cry:

A snow monkey wasn't used on my course... and I don't remember those in the display rack at the distributors.... I don't know that one :cry:

You probably have a killer whale?

Hi, I use my Girlfriend buffer for the buffing...its a 2400/4000/12000 so I work through the grits. I also use the buffing file which is green and white....this gives such an amazing shine...you can also use this on the natural nail which my clients LOVE if they dont want a polish. Hth xx

this is the snowmonkey...it has buffer on one side (I never use that part) and a chamois on the other side....its best used with miracle shine. I never use the killerwhale...not necessary.

Attachments

• EzFlow Images 035.jpg
    EzFlow Images 035.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 68
When I had my ezflow training, I was taught to finish with the black side of the snow monkey and then the chamois side with miracle shine. It really is worth trying to get hold of these products, as the finish is so long lasting and amazingly glossy. I can't understand why, as you've trained with a good company, the quality of education isn't of the same standard as our ezflow training. :hug:

I will start my buffing routine with a 2400 buffer, then use INM's mirror finish (great 2 sided high shine buffer) then oil afterwards. I find oil wrecks my buffers if I buff with oil.

The whole buffing routine for me takes maybe about 5 mins.

They are part of your system, so it's surprising they weren't mentioned. Get the Snow Monkey and Miracle Shine Victoria. They bring up a beautiful long lasting shine. xx

I never ever buff. Glaze and Go by NSI is my favorite product. After filing and shaping the nail, wipe off any excess dust and apply glaze and go to the nail and cure for 90sec, The finish is excellent and clients love it as is gives a high gloss shine:) (saves loads off time too)

this is the snowmonkey...it has buffer on one side (I never use that part) and a chamois on the other side....its best used with miracle shine. I never use the killerwhale...not necessary.

Nope, don't have this one. Never seen it. I have the fox, wolf, sandshark and killer whale. I don't know what "miracle shine" is either.

When I had my ezflow training, I was taught to finish with the black side of the snow monkey and then the chamois side with miracle shine. It really is worth trying to get hold of these products, as the finish is so long lasting and amazingly glossy. I can't understand why, as you've trained with a good company, the quality of education isn't of the same standard as our ezflow training. :hug:

I will try to get them! As I've explained in other threads/posts/blogs (sorry if you haven't seen them), Quebec has no standards nor licensing etc. The school that advertises a "Creative Masters" uses Le Chat for their courses :rolleyes: and the one that I attended is actually the best around BUT I do NOT think it was an actual EZ Flow course per se. The written materials was stuff they compiled from the internet, and of the 25 pages (not all full) 5 were just pictures. The teacher said she was "chosen" to go to the US for her EZ FLOW masters.... but.. errors she made in theory makes me question that (mixing up cuticle, pterigium and eponychium etc). I wasn't tested on any of my knowledge. It was "here's the products, this is what you do, do it, ok, you're done" kind of course. I wasn't tested on practical either. Doesn't say much for my diploma :cry:

They are part of your system, so it's surprising they weren't mentioned. Get the Snow Monkey and Miracle Shine Victoria. They bring up a beautiful long lasting shine. xx

Welcome to Quebec LOL I'll try to get my hands on some, but as far as I know, this distributor/school is the only one local that represents EZ Flow.

sooooo welcome to my world of frustration in trying to master L&P.... with a course like that..........if I wasn't taught buffing, makes me wonder what else I wasn't taught.

I use the snow monkey and miracle shine but I do have a killer whale too. Don't know about you but the first time I buffed with the killer whale it stained the nail with blue dye from the logo!!! I used a tiny bit of scrubfresh to remove it from the grey side so it didn't happen again. I love both buffers tbh but the educators high shine looked so much better than mine lol

I use the sandshark the same as Anna then if using the killer whale I use the black side then white side then grey side. Don't use oil with it though

I very rarely used the Killer Whale......as a Snow Monkey is much better(once you have broken it in lol) ...but you can use Miracle shine(buffing paste) with a Killer Whale too...but you need to let it dry first. You can only use the Miracle Dry wet with a Snow Monkey.

If you have worked down your files and get the enhancement really smooth with the Sand Shark or other sanding buffer then a high gloss shine is much much easier. If the nail isn't perfectly smooth no amount of buffing,glossing, whatever will make it have the perfect glass like shine.

1. Is there a trick to getting a perfect shiney finish? Any tips or tricks I need to know? Absolutely - a progression of decreasing your grit sizes ie - getting finer and finer. I finish my nails with a 240 or 280grit file, then 1200, then girlfriend 3 way buffer, black, white, grey.
  2. And, is oil always used (btw, we never used it in class except at the end of the service) and at what point do you add it if using it when buffing (and can it be used with all buffers?). I use oil before the 1200grit I work in the oil into the enhancement (I use the cnd koala buffer as it doesn't break down with the oil) Remember to remove oil before your using your 3 way buffer
  3. About how long does it take you to buff to a high shine? Just the buffing part, not the finish filing/shaping.
I count so i can tell you :lol: per nail, 5 secs black, 5 secs white, 5 secs grey ( I go grey like crazy) so with good maths I take approx 2.5 minutes. HTH:)
Thanks in advance:hug:[/QUOTE]

1. Is there a trick to getting a perfect shiney finish? Any tips or tricks I need to know?
    graduation get your hands on any files as long as they graduate up - check your finishing and that your not ending on a 180 and trying to jump to a buffer as you'll get scratches
  2. And, is oil always used (btw, we never used it in class except at the end of the service) and at what point do you add it if using it when buffing (and can it be used with all buffers?).
    I use oil as it creates an excellent plasticised effect on the nail. I buff with oil with a 240 sponge or a koala, I then remove oil and buff with girlfriend/3 way then finish with the glosser
    Only a couple of minutes tho its not my favourite part and sometimes I get a lil lazy n try n skip a step and end up with scratch marks n have to go back and re-do the buffing!!!

I'm not a buffer and it takes me too long but I know if my nails are graduated properly they are also finshed properly.

So, my questions to all of you are these:

As everyone else has said work down your grits, finishing with your sanding buffer. I do a lot of work with this to ensure my surface is perfectly smooth. Then they will buff to a glass like shine with minimum effort.

1. And, is oil always used (btw, we never used it in class except at the end of the service) and at what point do you add it if using it when buffing (and can it be used with all buffers?).

This is to do with the different systems again with EzFlow you do not have to buff oil in to block out oxygen this because of the diverse polymer particles in EzFlow powders. (This should be in your manual or explained during the course)Therefore you only use your oil when finished to moisturise the nail and surrounding skin. Just as you were taught to do.
With CND you buff in oil with the 1200 side of the Koala buffer as it has a protective coating to use with oil. Doing this helps speed up the cure as it blocks out oxygen that inhibits the cure (long story short there).

1. About how long does it take you to buff to a high shine? Just the buffing part, not the finish filing/shaping.
Because I have done most of the work already with my 180 feathering and bevelling the nail and my sanding buffer to get it perfectly smooth. Buffing to a high shine hardly takes any time at all. However if I notice a surface imperfection I will get my sanding buffer back out to smooth it then buff again!! To be honest my total finish filing and buffing takes 15 minutes 20 at the most, working to a strict routine definitely helps.
Thanks in advance:hug:

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back