Calgel questions advice needed please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*sarah*

Pmu Geek
Reaction score
Hi all,

I did my calgel training in march, I am really liking it for overlays but have come across a few problems wondered if I could pick your brains about (not literally lol)

product lifting at free edge? have been trying to cap the edge but my own nails 2 of them keeps lifting a little trapping dirt euck! lol could it be because my nails are damaged? has not lifted on any clients unless they have knocked them.

I know the questions all seem to be about my own nails but just dont want it to happen to a client incase its something to do with my application.

I can also see the line of my natural nail on some nails again only on mine, am i no applying it thickly enough? (they have no 15 gel on)

Also as I use CND l & p is it ok to use scrub fresh with calgel or calguard with l & p ?? also is it ok to use gel bond with calgel?

Thanks xx

product lifting at free edge? have been trying to cap the edge but my own nails 2 of them keeps lifting a little trapping dirt euck! lol could it be because my nails are damaged? has not lifted on any clients unless they have knocked them.

I know the questions all seem to be about my own nails but just dont want it to happen to a client incase its something to do with my application.

I can also see the line of my natural nail on some nails again only on mine, am i no applying it thickly enough? (they have no 15 gel on)

Also as I use CND l & p is it ok to use scrub fresh with calgel or calguard with l & p ?? also is it ok to use gel bond with calgel?

Thanks xx

You won't want to use Scrubfresh with Calgel as it contains acetone and will start to make the gel go rubbery and lose it's shine. I would stick with the Calgel products.

As for your own nails, I wonder if you are getting the far corners of each nail well capped. I know on my own nails, I don't see the far sides as well as I would facing someone. Also, we tend to work slower on our own nails, giving the gel time to slightly shrink back from the free edge. Try freeze curing every single nail for 10 seconds for every layer of gel.

Do you mean you can see your own nail through the white gel? (Can't think what colour 15 is.) I do 2 think layers of white for French - if it's too thick it will bubble.

Hope that helps! Alex

Last edited:
Hi all,

I did my calgel training in march, I am really liking it for overlays but have come across a few problems wondered if I could pick your brains about (not literally lol)

I echo all of the Curlyq's above :) This could be not quite capping thoroughly enough, do you cap 'every layer'? Maybe your nails are particularly bendy you could try adding a form to your nails...sculpting a teeny bit on the end this will STOP that.

I'm not too familiar with no 11 but i know some of the calgel colours dont appear to be very 'dense' in colour....you shouldnt be able to see the free edge of your natural nail under a colour so i'd try a little thicker.

Calgel will NOT like Scrubfresh for removing the 'sticky layer' but FINE to prep with i cant dee the problem with using gel bond - although i'd try and learn to sculpt where you can. Calguard i'd assume ok with l+p but not sure why you'd want to (or do you mean for prepping? best to stick with each 'family of products' for each product really)

Thanks xx

Hope thats helped

It maybe is not capping properly :eek: it is only on 3 nails, practice makes perfect?? lol the gel i have on just now is a redy orange its my natural smile line I can see on some on them, have scrubbed underneath my nails with nail brush so it cant be dirt! well I hope not lol
Just wondered if you could use different products as I'm a moblie tech and have a lot of things to carry with me which is fine, but as I cant leave my stuff in the car (incase the sun/heat affects it etc) I have to lug it all up and down 3 flights of stairs (u should see me with my shopping lol) Have been trying to find a lightweight bag/carry case which I can fit everything in to no avail any ideas on that? xx

Creative do a fab bucket back which is ideal for mobile and lightweight x

I already have a bucket bag the large one, but i cant fit my uv light in and with my CND products and calgel I can fit it all in :irked: lol xx

Hi all,

Thanks xx

When I use any gel and need to tidy the shape before the last layer, I always use the file from under the nail not directly on the free edge so the gel is always overlapping the nat nail, I think this is the same method that CND use.

sweet squared do a trolley bag that looks big enough to carry a gel and l&p kit including uv lamp.

I always do my filing 1st and do the same file underneath if I need to tidy, I only trained in gel last month so hopefully I will get better at doing my own nails, they look nice still and they are generating business for me so cant be too bad eh? lol

Ooh trolley bag I think I did see that when I was at CND in edinburgh a while ago I'll pop in when I go to the beauty show n have a look xx

Latest posts

Back