Calgel - thinking of training.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxglove

Reaction score
I am really keen to start offering gel nails as a service to my beauty clients. I have had several of them enquiring about it already, and think I have 4 definates already.

I have had a good old search through the forum and really like the idea of the soak off gels. I am particularly interested in Calgel, but have heard that the french finish tends to yellow over time. I wonder if anyone can put my mind at rest that this does not happen?

Thanks in advance
Sarah xx

I use calgel but have only recently trained and i am finding that now the ladies i have done have had the nails on for a while they are yellowing.I will get round to ringing Calgel about it,they are very helpful.I know Robyn the trainer added a tiny amount of purple in with her clear gel.The uv top coat that must be used is also purple which brings the nails back tolife and you retail it to the clients.
I also think that as they are porous the clients aftercare wearing gloves etc must be followed to prevent this problem.
I also know that it can yellow with overcuring so obviously with each infil you are curing the gel more and more.I think there are solutions for the yellowing problem i think they do a top coat gel now for this reason but ring the training centre and ask their advice.Other geeks will soon help.

Since I have been using Calgel it has been SO popular! I have had no problems with lifting at all. My ladies are always commenting on how strong it is too.

Yes, the gel can yellow BUT you use the Calcrystal topcoat which prevents yellowing and they have recently launced a gel which doesn't yellow. I haven't tried it yet but it's on my list.

The customer service is also excellent. I can't praise them enough.

Good Luch whatever you decide to do x

Since I have been using Calgel it has been SO popular! I have had no problems with lifting at all. My ladies are always commenting on how strong it is too.

Yes, the gel can yellow BUT you use the Calcrystal topcoat which prevents yellowing and they have recently launced a gel which doesn't yellow. I haven't tried it yet but it's on my list.

The customer service is also excellent. I can't praise them enough.

Good Luch whatever you decide to do x
I too have found it to be strong even over tips which has been one of the problems mentioned in the past that it isn't very good for putting over tips but so far so good.

Thak you all for taking the time to reply......it is fab getting all of your views before having to commit to the training. but I think I am going to ring them on Monday to book....... :hug:

Thak you all for taking the time to reply......it is fab getting all of your views before having to commit to the training. but I think I am going to ring them on Monday to book....... :hug:
I think they do free try me sessions.or they will be at excel.

why dont you try looking on their website Calgel | Home , they do what they call try before you buy workshops where you can just try the product and then decide if you would like to train with them. i think its about 30quid for the day but it is refunded if you book any course's.

HTH.

Hi Sarah, I am trained in Calgel and cannot rate it enough. If you give Robyn or Chris or James or Karen a call at Calgel they will answer all your questions.

In answer to your question does it discolour after a while. Yes, it can do, but I always retail the Calcrystal top coat which should be removed and reapplied every 3 or 4 days. This stops the yellowing effect.

I also mix a bit of the purple rain in with my clear gel, for the final coat, this also alleviates the problem.

Another thing that can cause the yellowing is over curing.

I cannot rate Calgel enough, after trying many different systems, I find it strong over tips also and their customer care is excellent. Hth, but dont hesitate to call Calgel head office. Minkus is also a very experienced tec that uses calgel so you could also pm her for info. xx

Minkus is also a very experienced tec that uses calgel so you could also pm her for info. xx

ah thanks hunnypie:hug:

I only have this to say about calgel

:green: :green: love it love it love it:green: :green:
  • easy to apply​
  • no odour​
  • fantastic, 5 star, super duper customer service (get the picture:green: )​
  • soaks off easily should you wish to​
  • files down very easily when rebalancing.​
  • available in 60 odd colours​
  • very very strong on its own no fiddling with silk for reinforcement​
Ok so it is a little more on the 'higher end of the scale' pricewise but that doesnt put me off at all you get what you pay for.

I have most of my client base on calgel.

Re- the yellowing i dont really find this much of a problem at all ...only person i have seen it yellow badly on was a sunbed fan.

hth

amb xxxxxxxxxxxx​

I to use Calgel and to quote Minkus "Love it Love it Love it"

As everyone has said Calgel Head Office will help you with any questions.

Yellowing can happen, I've only come across this though when my clients don't change there Calcrystal top coat when they should - this then makes them do it regularly. I've even got one client who eats lots of Indian food and her nails get stained with orange dye! she removes her top coat replaces and the orange tinge has gone leaving lovely a white tip french again.

I'm sure if you try Calgel you won't regret it.

Also will try that tip Pippadoodle - have got Purple rain so will mix a bit into my clear gel. Think it's a gorg gel on it's own to.

Lou x

I will be doing my training with Calgel in Manchester at the end of the month and can't wait.

I have been having a little play with my kit and have done a couple of tip and overlays which have been strong without any lifting etc.

Had another little play today with Pennijar and we did a coloured NNO and then soaked it off - soak off on the colour was fantastic - clean off in 10 mins.

But and this isn't a negative but, I had a friend whom I did a clear nno on a couple of weeks ago and she wanted it soaked off. It took almost TWO FLAMING hours for it to come off and I don't know why as I soaked my clear NNO of in about 20 mins.

Any ideas you experienced Calgel gals?

I think they do free try me sessions.or they will be at excel.
If you are uncertain about committing to Calgel, ask them if you can come and spend a little time with them. I did this. Firstly they showed me around then Robyn applied some clear and colour gell to a couple of fingers on each hand. You have nothing to lose.

I will be doing my training with Calgel in Manchester at the end of the month and can't wait.

I have been having a little play with my kit and have done a couple of tip and overlays which have been strong without any lifting etc.

Had another little play today with Pennijar and we did a coloured NNO and then soaked it off - soak off on the colour was fantastic - clean off in 10 mins.

But and this isn't a negative but, I had a friend whom I did a clear nno on a couple of weeks ago and she wanted it soaked off. It took almost TWO FLAMING hours for it to come off and I don't know why as I soaked my clear NNO of in about 20 mins.

I have experienced a variety of soak off times. Most of my clients it takes 15 to 20 minutes - but on me the stuff sticks like you know what to a blanket!! I have to soak off for at least 45 minutes to an hour, it's a real pain. On my training they did say that some clients will not get on with the gel as for whatever reason it just won't stay on and then on others it will be fine. I guess it just luurrvveess me and so it never wants to come off :lol:

I just make sure that I've used the gold file to buff the surface of the gel (as advised by another Calgel tech) and then apply the Calaway etc.

I hope you enjoy your training and like the stuff as much as I do.

Hi, Calgel introduced a super clear gel last year and it is to be used as a top coat to prevent yellowing it is not to be used as the main gel as it takes too long to soak off and can lift easier if applied to the natural nail.
I found to prevent yellowing I used a pearly white instead of basic white and this xmas everyone had it. It would be great for wedding nails and it did not yellow.
You can of course use a different companies white with calgel clear as Calgel say you can and I do. I have had no problems at all I use LCN FM white as it doesn't yellow at all! I use it on toes with calgel clear. HTH

I found to prevent yellowing I used a pearly white instead of basic white and this xmas everyone had it. It would be great for wedding nails and it did not yellow.
Sorry if I'm being dim here but 'what pearly white'? Is it a white gel because I find that it's the clear that yellows?

Pearly white or pearlised like a varnish would be, not a basic solid white,
if you know the chart colours of calgel its no. 49 and sure, I find its the clear that yellows, but comp white discolours too, I find that No 49 doesn't show it as much as comp white. I have found that the October sunshine is worse than July August sunshine for yellowing the gel, dont know why tho, have you noticed? HTH

I am really looking forward to my Calgel training as well, and I really enjoyed my first attempts using Calgel today. It is brill, although Julie we should have both practised on Mark as he was nodding off while we were playing. ha ha.

I really really really want to play with my kit, but I can't as I cant replace anything yet. I will just suffice watching the DVD and reading the course book.

Joan

I am really looking forward to my Calgel training as well, and I really enjoyed my first attempts using Calgel today. It is brill, although Julie we should have both practised on Mark as he was nodding off while we were playing. ha ha.

I really really really want to play with my kit, but I can't as I cant replace anything yet. I will just suffice watching the DVD and reading the course book.

Joan
Joan i did a lot of playing before i had my course and i still had loads of everything left for my course, everything goes a long way and if you do use up anything you can buy it at your training day with i think it was 5% off may even have been 10.The only mistake i made was not to look after my brushes too well you need to leave gel on them wrap in a nail wipe with calcleanse on it then wrap in foil and i put them in a tupperware box in the fridge.

Pearly white or pearlised like a varnish would be, not a basic solid white,
if you know the chart colours of calgel its no. 49 and sure, I find its the clear that yellows, but comp white discolours too, I find that No 49 doesn't show it as much as comp white. I have found that the October sunshine is worse than July August sunshine for yellowing the gel, dont know why tho, have you noticed? HTH

Fancy trying that no 49, does it look effective. I always use no 01 instead of comp white. I find the competition white too thick.

The only mistake i made was not to look after my brushes too well you need to leave gel on them, wrap in a nail wipe with calcleanse on it, then wrap in foil and i put them in a tupperware box in the fridge.

Hi,

I'm thinking of training with Calgel as well, but have never heard of having to store your brushes as you described.

That's sounds like a lot of hassle !! Do any other Calgel users store their brushes like this ??

Marlise

Latest posts

Back