call from hmrc... geniune??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbk

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Bit of opinion/advice needed.
Ive just picked up a voicemail from an unknown number

Claims to be from the hmrc and said that i have not paid my tax (which i havent yet as i have until january) said he needs to talk to me as if i leave it for a certain period of time i will be fined 5k! Then asks me to call back and leaves a contact number which is a mobile number....

Im going to call my accountant tomorrow to let him know but wondered if anyone else has had this?
Surely it wouldnt be a mobile number to call hmrc to discuss your tax!??

Thanks guys x

They don't usually behave like that. Be wary.

It sounds incredibly dodgy to me. A mobile number? Don't think so.

Ive recieved an email saying they owe me tax rebate but am a bit unsure as well?????

Sounds dodgy to me. Give them a ring just to check but not the number he gave you! I think they'd appreciate being notified of new scams.

I always get emails saying I'm due a tax rebate, they look official but they are a scam, don't click the link!

Sarah x

I've been self employed for 23 years and the only way the Revenue have ever contacted me is via an official letter via good old Mr Posty. I also had an email recently from them saying I was due a rebate - I deleted it. Both sound fishy too me. x

If you go on the HMRC website, you will see a notice that says they will never contact you via email, ever. Delete any "HMRC" emails you get because they will be spam.

They do phone, I've had phone calls, but it's more usually letter, and I don't think they'd ever ask you to phone a mobile number.

I've been self employed for 23 years and the only way the Revenue have ever contacted me is via an official letter via good old Mr Posty. I also had an email recently from them saying I was due a rebate - I deleted it. Both sound fishy too me. x

Totally agree with minxymoo, they would write on hmrc letterhead and post it. Try typing the phone number into Google, probably come up as a scam listing. I would ignore and not worry to be honest

from Debbie's HTC Sense

I'm getting loads of the emails at the mo.

Rather than deleting them, there is an email you can forward them to.

Google 'HMRC phisihing email' and it should link to the page with the info.

Everytime you get an email like this and its a known company, that company will usually have an email where you can forward them, the more they receive the more it helps them to try and find out who it is

Thankyou for the replies, initially I panicked but then thought I'm not doing anything wrong so they have no reason to chase me anyway, and a mobile number, there's no way they would be making calls from a mobile surely, I am going to let my accountant know tomorrow and see if he is aware of these things.. I've also had the emails people have mentioned they automatically go in the junk mail I never see them!
Thanks again x

Just an update hmrc confirmed on fri that they have not tried to call me recently and said they would not leave a mobile number. So if anyone gets anything like this ignore it and trust your instincts xx

Yes, it definitely sounds like a scam; if they want you to call them, it will likely be an 0845 or 0870 number - as published on the official HMRC website - not someone's mobile!!! And you'd receive an official letter in the post asking you to call them too...

I have had so many emails claiming to be from hmrc lately! I originally thought they were a scam, however the last one that I received seemed very plausible as it linked directly to the hmrc website!?
It's easy to see how people can be conned :irked:
Good thread!

Please don't trust the emails. I had one not long ago and clicked the link, it looked very official but then started to ask my bank details so they could pay me. This included my card number, expiry date, and security code. They would not need these details to pay me money. No matter how genuine they look it more than likely is a scam. Xx

I'm getting loads of the emails at the mo.

Rather than deleting them, there is an email you can forward them to.

Google 'HMRC phisihing email' and it should link to the page with the info.

Everytime you get an email like this and its a known company, that company will usually have an email where you can forward them, the more they receive the more it helps them to try and find out who it is

I've had this too and just fwd'd the email to this address i found on the hmrc website;
[email protected]

Hth

Jess x

EzFlow master artist educator
www.polishednailsalon.co.uk

also, they would contact your accountant as well. My accountant told me that any queries go to him first.

Please don't trust the emails. I had one not long ago and clicked the link, it looked very official but then started to ask my bank details so they could pay me. This included my card number, expiry date, and security code. They would not need these details to pay me money. No matter how genuine they look it more than likely is a scam. Xx

This is a definate SCAM- my husbands an accountant and had loads of clients ring him asking for advice etc. Sadly a few fell for it and entered their bank details! :( x

Latest posts

Back