Calling all nail technicians...past and present!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you have a website for the organsation you work for?

so what type of evidence are you looking for, most people on this site are educated or working towards a good level of competance , this site is used for knowledge and provkes a lot of questions.

At the moment, I am primarily looking at gathering information about the extent of health and safety content of nail technicians training and its application in practice. This is only designed to be a short piece of work. It will be written up and the main findings summarised. Depending on what is found will depend on what the next step is. At this stage I am just looking for answers to the questions I originally posted on the thread.

When discussing evidence, I was merely saying that if there is a need for a change this will be later down the line in terms of our research and that for it to happen the government need report based evidence.

Jade :):)

We do have a website, although having jsut looked at it, its not very useful!

Centre for Workplace Health - Introduction

I am going to have a look on the HSE website as I think that some of our publications are on there. If not I may be able to send you some reports that we have completed.

Jade :):)

This is the last report that we did on nail bars

RR627 - Health and safety in nail bars

This is another one we have worked on

Respiratory issues and dermatitis in hairdressers and nail bars

And I am currently working on some data from salon owners/managers which will hopefully be available in the next few months

Last edited:
blimey you have been busy !

Well its not just me, there are a few of us working on it. But it definitley keeps me busy!

Can I just say to all of you, thanks for all your comments and your time, it is much appreciated!! :):)

Hi ya

Health and Safety,hygiene standards were adhered to throughout my time at my local college where I did my level3, washing of hands before each client etc

I use gel nail products so I dont have issue with ventalation, I know this has been mentioned

and for my implements, i have a portable steriliser....then barbicide when I get home. I give nail files to the client. I change my tools regularly too so they stay in top order.

I did do a short manicure course (5days) around 4 years ago...h&s was mentioned. I felt it was adequate for the needs of the course.

like most industries you get the good and the bad. There are always companies that want to make a fast buck, this industry is just like any of them, but they do have a legal requirement to teach H&S, is there a particular syllabus?

It will (in my opinion) always boil down to the therapist. The onis has to be on the individual to be responsible after their training, it just depends if they have the common sense to be responsible or cut corners in h&s.

Last edited:
I forgot to ask, are you part of a steering group?

I forgot to ask, are you part of a steering group?

We have a generic steering group for the Beauty Industry as a whole and there are representatives from each discipline, although this group has not met for a long time as the need has not been there.

If the research does progress, I may hold a steering group meeting specifically for the health and safety training to see what people have to say on the issues.

:):)

Hi Jade, I have trained with two nail companies (one of which was at the lower end of the product market) and the emphasis on H&S was very much a major part of this. However there are a lot of salons out there that work with little or no care for this vital part of the industry, primarily because the staff employed are not properly (if at all) trained. I'd be very interested to find out more about your work and any conclusions you come up with.

Hi Jade, I have trained with two nail companies (one of which was at the lower end of the product market) and the emphasis on H&S was very much a major part of this. However there are a lot of salons out there that work with little or no care for this vital part of the industry, primarily because the staff employed are not properly (if at all) trained. I'd be very interested to find out more about your work and any conclusions you come up with.
good comments, does the overall responsability fall with the manager?

My husband is a UK qualified Health and Safety Manager in the UK and has given me a lot of help when I set up my salon.

Although I work here in Greece (where the health and safety laws are different or totally non-existant), it's good to work to UK standards for the benefit of me and my clients (and visitors).

There is a lot of good information in this thread, and although still much to do, the cause to improve health and safety in salons is coming.

My husband always teaches me that accidents only happen with two aspects:
* an unsafe place (the salon)
* unsafe practices (the things that people do).

There is a lot here about COSHH etc which is about people and substances - however often a key part of safety in a salon (that is often forgotten) starts with a safe place of work. This is already set out in UK law:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg244.pdf

This covers the basics like layout, temperature, toilets, eating, ventilation to name but a few.

I hope this helps

Eva

Hiya
I have completed a 2 year full time course in VTCT NVQ level 2 and 3 beauty and Holistics therapy . i learned everything about COSSH,which gave me a whole new update on the situation of chemicals since my last profession and about information regarding all the products used for the skin I was using and how to dispose safely of them, most of the info I learned from booklets that i acquired through the HSE also from books called the Complete Nail Technician & The Encyclopedia of nails,the official guide to beauty and professional therapy 2nd and 3rd editions by Lorraine nordmann, magazines, and recently from this site.

I gained a level 3 diploma in health,safety,security and employment standards because i took a great interest in health and safety and putting my point across on many occasions in college how important it was. I am starting re-training as a Nail Tech in September.

For the manicure\pedicure\skin i learned more on Sanitation & Sterilization,Proper use of tools, sanitizing and storage and disposal regulations for all different products.COSHH,RIDDOR,HEALTH\SAFETY AT WORK and risk assessments and all regulations and the code of conduct,Hygiene & personal grooming,Accidents & Insurance,safety in the salon,unsafe practice and how it should be avoided,Overexposure to products,Bacterial\fungal\parasitic diseases of the nails and skin(there were some i haven't come across or seen)

I really personally feel that short courses for example a 5 day course is not enough to give you the importance of health and safety and the best advice is that anyone wishing to take up a career in the industry should spend a whole year at college as 4-5 days is just simply not enough.I am always reading the HSE website and downloading information on health\chemical related issues.

Last edited:
Those of you that read my article about the 2 reports published by the HSE and then read the reports you would have seen the recommendation to research this subject.

This is start of this project following the recommendations. Jade is starting it and needs as much info on what and how you were taught all the various H&S issues.

It all helps the industry and we will all benefit in the long run.

(With my Chair of the Habia Nail Services Forum hat on)

Hello, I see that most of your replies have been from the UK, I am from across the pond, Up State New York [USA] In order to do Nails in New York you have to be licensed by the State, you must take and pass classes that are State Regulated, most are Vocational Schools, and then take a state test in order to recieve a license. There are several ways you can achieve this: you can get your cosmetology license or your nail specialty license. Now comes the real information you would like, in the cosmetology class you have to at least have completed 1000 hrs. during these hrs. not only are you learning practical you are also learning from a workbook, everything from electricity,blood diseases,hazard,safety,biology and phisology, as well as the science of product and application. You are given tests several times a week and you must have a passing grade by the time you are done with your hours in order to take your 2 part licensing test ,one part written 100 questions;you must pass before you are allowed to take your practical test;This is the route I took. There is also the Nail Specialty Classes which I believe is 350 hrs. and ficilitated in the same manner as the cosmetology classes are except it focuses only on Nails and blood diseases,hazard,safety,biology and physology as well as the application of product and product safety. I believe you have to take a 2 part test for your nail specialty license also. There are also prosuct classes and the are OSHA classes that are available to take. I hope this has been helpful ! Love,light and peace Nailgoddess629

Last edited:
Posted By Anne Niven

H & s - 31-08-08, 12:31 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did various courses including VTCT holisitc therapies so I covered lots of H & S on them. Ive also tried short nail courses and found H & S to be lacking. I teach for Derbyshire County Council - holistic therapies, manicure, pedicure, nail art and extensions. Part of the critieria is H & S, as a tutor as long as the criteria is met the students pass, however I insist that H & S is a very large part of the critieria to be met. All my students cover the basics such as RIDDOR, COSHH, Offices & Railways Act, Electricity at Work, Data Protection, Over Exposure, sterlilisation, sanitation, personal protection dust masks, goggles, skin diseases, methods of extraction, ventilation, Fire. Lol sorry that was supposed to brief, there's actually lots more.

I think its a case of you can only be as good as the tutor that teaches you and if you get one that skimps its tough. I always carry out continual professional development and stress the importance of this to students.

Hope that helps.

Hi, paid £600 for a nail course with one of the top nail companies, I wont say which one:rolleyes:. I thought I was ready to go out in to industry, that they had taught me every thing I need to know to be a nail technician. How wrong was I? VERY!! I went to college to study NVQ beauty therapy level 2.
I soon realised how little I knew about the nail, its function, disorders ect ect.
These nail companies only scratch the surface when it comes to A&P and H&S. I would advise any one thinking about learning nails or beauty to go to your local college and study NVQ or ITCT. Dont spend £££££ for a piece of paper with a few words on it because its not worth it:eek:.

Latest posts

Back