Calling All Techs In The US!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ms.Matrix

Tweetacular Geek!
Reaction score
I just though I'd start a thread for all of our techs here in the USA...Not to slight my peeps in the UK, at all...Y'all know I got mad love for all ya!!:hug:

Comon in and say HI!! Coffee's on, and I have a few doughnuts in the lobby!! :lick: I might even be able to find you a stronger drink...If you ask nicely! :D

Don't be shy...We should get to know each other!!

I'll start..
My name is Yolanda, and I have been loving nails it seems all of my life. I started doing nails at the age of 14, a few years after high school, I then decided to go to school for manicuring, I started off at Alma's Beauty College in Detroit, but got frustrated and quit :smack: so no, I don't yet have my license as of yet. I found this site while doing a search...(I forget what I was searching for, but it had to be something pertaining to nails) I was getting ready to get started going back to school, this time my intentions were to go to Virginia Farrell's Beauty School, but I didn't have my money for the kit and uniform so I put it off, well, a few weeks before my next start date I found out I was pregnant...and that threw my plans all arwy, because I had a little hiccup in my prenancy...alls well now I have a second beautiful baby boy that will be 1 years old next month. My oldest boy is 16.

Currently, I desperately want to go back to school, but am having problems with finances...so this site has been my online school since 2004! I could not even be able to tell you of the knowledge that I have picked up, just being a member, reading threads and tutorials and asking questions. As an added bonus I have come to know so many great people on this site and am blessed to call them all FRIENDS!

So comon Yankees!!! Sit down have something to snack on and tell me about yourself!!! :hug:

Aww, guys comon...I know you're out there....I hear you breathing!!!:lol:

I will reply just to say hi!! from an Aussie friend, but sadly all your Yankee friends must be sleeping.
Hi Yolanda!!
xxxx:hug:

I will reply just to say hi!! from an Aussie friend, but sadly all your Yankee friends must be sleeping.
Hi Yolanda!!
xxxx:hug:
I know...:cry: I shouldn't be such a night owl!!!!:lol:

Oh, and hi right backactha my Aussie buddy!!:hug:

Aw Yolanda looks like they are all too shy .... or maybe they can smell your marmite breath!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :Grope:

HI:biggrin: thanks for the warm welcome!!!!!!!
I started Nail school in 1996- was taught by a fab teacher who was creative trained, so thats what we learned with in school was creative. right after i graduated i learned i was pregnant, and had to have nothing but bed rest due to complications of my pregnancy, so had to stop practicing nails. got back into it when he was three Loved it!!! it was my passion- enjoyed it very much, but after a few years in the business and doing well- i realised my home life was sufferring- and my son really needed me home so I took off more time to be at home with him and my husband ( wesley). my son is older now, so getting back into the business again, just moved to colorado and since of state laws i am having to go back to school for nails again:eek: . in florida where i graduated from the requirenment was only 240 hours- here in colorado it is 600- so have to make up the difference. i start august 22nd - i am hoping i wont be the oldest in my class lol. but even if i am i am looking forward to it. hoping to learn gels in school- only learned acrylic and sculpts the first time around along with wraps- gels were not that popular in 1996-97 so during nail school we werent taught that. was a little bummed at first learning i had to go back to school- but in the end realised its not a high price to pay to be able to do something i love- and i honestly love doing nails- it's in my blood i think lol. i found this website awhile back when i was researching new nail techniques on the internet and trying to stay up to date on things- i enjoy this site and have learned a few things and enjoy all the information thats on this site. i tend to be a bit of a lurker at times on the site- so i guess i need to get envolved more lol. thanks again for the welcome!! just wanted to say a big welcome to all nail techs i have yet to say hello to!! look forward to chatting sometime.

OH- forgot to add- my name is Paula:) . nice to meet ya yolanda.

HI:biggrin: thanks for the warm welcome!!!!!!!
I started Nail school in 1997- was taught by a fab teacher who was creative trained, so thats what we learned with in school was creative. right after i graduated i learned i was pregnant, and had to have nothing but bed rest due to complications of my pregnancy, so had to stop practicing nails. got back into it when he was three Loved it!!! it was my passion- enjoyed it very much, but after a few years in the business and doing well- i realised my home life was sufferring- and my son really needed me home so I took off more time to be at home with him and my husband ( wesley). my son is older now, so getting back into the business again, just moved to colorado and since of state laws i am having to go back to school for nails again:eek: . in florida where i graduated from the requirenment was only 240 hours- here in colorado it is 600- so have to make up the difference. i start august 22nd - i am hoping i wont be the oldest in my class lol. but even if i am i am looking forward to it. hoping to learn gels in school- only learned acrylic and sculpts the first time around along with wraps- gels were not that popular in 1997-98 so during nail school we werent taught that. was a little bummed at first learning i had to go back to school- but in the end realised its not a high price to pay to be able to do something i love- and i honestly love doing nails- it's in my blood i think lol. i found this website awhile back when i was researching new nail techniques on the internet and trying to stay up to date on things- i enjoy this site and have learned a few things and enjoy all the information thats on this site. i tend to be a bit of a lurker at times on the site- so i guess i need to get envolved more lol. thanks again for the welcome!!
Nice to meet you...hope to see you around the boards more!! Get involved, read the tutorial and ask plenty questions!! This site has been a life saver for me and has definately rekindled the fire I had for nails!!

Glad you are here hun!!!

Any more??? I put some cinnamon buns in the oven to go with the coffee!!:lol:

Aw Yolanda looks like they are all to shy .... or maybe they can smell your marmite breath!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shhhh Sassy, I just brushed my teeth!! :lol:

Hi there :)

I'm from Georgia, my high school offered an accredited cosmetology course as part of the magnet programs. It was a general program- hair, skin, nails, but the hours actually counted towards taking the state boards exam

I actually used to skip my lunch hour to spend more time in the lab, by the time I graduated I already had well over 300 hours training but it was in everything- facials, manicures, hair treatments, perm wraps etc. and mani, pedi and enhancements and skincare- were always my favorite parts as I have never had a real knack for hair!
It was free of course but we had so many students on different levels working on different things, it was a public high school too so sometimes things didn't work properly, i.e. running out of hot water the day we do cholesterol treatments on everyone's hair!

I wanted to go on and continue with the last of the training and then take the exam because I didn't think I had qualified for a state scholarship to go to college, well at the very last second they did award me the scholarship so I went to college! B.A. in International Affairs, will be done at the end of this semester and going for a certificate in Legal Interpreting.

But my big dream is to go back, re-take anything and everything and finally be able to do that as my work. The real goal is eventually to have my own salon, I don't know how real that can be since my degree has all been in political science! But we'll see :)

S

Hello There Ms. Matrix..:hug:

I can smell your cinnamon buns!!! They smell delicous...

I joined this wonderful site several months agao, and already learned sooo much.
The people here,are so friendly and helpful... Not to mention soooo supportive of each other..

I am from Canada, and I use Akzentz gels.. I am so addicted to this site and love you all!!

Sincerely
The Nail Fairy:Love:

i m not an amerian nail tech but i got my nail tech degree in miami at beauty schools of america
just got back to france a week ago i miss the sun it s so cold in paris :cry:

Go girl - Yolanda - if any of the USA geeks are geeking - get to know Yolanda - she is a sweetie xxx

Hi Yolanda, I am from New York State. I also went to the cosmotolgy program in high school. I became licensed shortly after... Then I got married, had kids and kept up on hair as a "hobby". Then.. got divorced and had to turn my hobby into rent and food money for two kids. I worked hard attended as much education as I could and now I am an educator for Shwarzkopf USA, and own my own salon. I decided to branch out into nails in April this year. So far it has been fun, but, a real challange. By the way my "hobby" has put two kids through college and we own a house. Proving you can do whatever you put your mind to!

:lol: Hi to all
I am Charity
I started school in march of 05 , Opened my salon in March of 06 . SOOOO happy to say hi and help at all if I can ,
I love Cinna buns!!! ( with Icing!!) :green:

PM me any time !!
Fingerfun:hug:

Hi Yolanda,

So you like Miami better?

That's where I was born and raised :)

S

:lick: Hi Yolanda,

I know I'm not from the US, but I live 40 mins from Montana, actually, just spent the weekend in Great Falls, loved every minute!

Since your my neighbour to the South, and my roots run deep in the States, I'll say hi to all of you!!:green:

Its nice to see the world come together, where we can talk, make new friends, and have a laugh or too!! It just seems that we are all sitting around, having a coffee, or cocktails, discussing work and telling each other what kind of day we are having, good or bad, almost like we were all in the same room. Love the "Geek"!!

Love chocolate covered donuts!!:lick:

:lick: Hi Yolanda,

I know I'm not from the US, but I live 40 mins from Montana, actually, just spent the weekend in Great Falls, loved every minute!

Since your my neighbour to the South, and my roots run deep in the States, I'll say hi to all of you!!:green:

Its nice to see the world come together, where we can talk, make new friends, and have a laugh or too!! It just seems that we are all sitting around, having a coffee, or cocktails, discussing work and telling each other what kind of day we are having, good or bad, almost like we were all in the same room. Love the "Geek"!!

Love chocolate covered donuts!!:lick:

So glad you are here!!! I count Canada part of the states too!!:lol:

Hi Yolanda,

So you like Miami better?

That's where I was born and raised :)

S
Mmm, never been to Miami...would love to visit though!!

:lol: Hi to all
I am Charity
I started school in march of 05 , Opened my salon in March of 06 . SOOOO happy to say hi and help at all if I can ,
I love Cinna buns!!! ( with Icing!!) :green:

PM me any time !!
Fingerfun:hug:
Congratulations on your salon!! That is what I want to do...if I ever get back to school to get my license!!

Hi Yolanda, I am from New York State. I also went to the cosmotolgy program in high school. I became licensed shortly after... Then I got married, had kids and kept up on hair as a "hobby". Then.. got divorced and had to turn my hobby into rent and food money for two kids. I worked hard attended as much education as I could and now I am an educator for Shwarzkopf USA, and own my own salon. I decided to branch out into nails in April this year. So far it has been fun, but, a real challange. By the way my "hobby" has put two kids through college and we own a house. Proving you can do whatever you put your mind to!
Oooooh I love New York!!! If ever I am there again I will have to look you up!!
i m not an amerian nail tech but i got my nail tech degree in miami at beauty schools of america
just got back to france a week ago i miss the sun it s so cold in paris :cry:
You are still a US tech to me hun, welcome!!!
Hello There Ms. Matrix..:hug:

I can smell your cinnamon buns!!! They smell delicous...

I joined this wonderful site several months agao, and already learned sooo much.
The people here,are so friendly and helpful... Not to mention soooo supportive of each other..

I am from Canada, and I use Akzentz gels.. I am so addicted to this site and love you all!!

Sincerely
The Nail Fairy:Love:
I knew you guys would like the cinni buns...Mmmmm :lick: This site is soooo addictive, I am so glad I found it!!

Hi there :)

I'm from Georgia, my high school offered an accredited cosmetology course as part of the magnet programs. It was a general program- hair, skin, nails, but the hours actually counted towards taking the state boards exam

I actually used to skip my lunch hour to spend more time in the lab, by the time I graduated I already had well over 300 hours training but it was in everything- facials, manicures, hair treatments, perm wraps etc. and mani, pedi and enhancements and skincare- were always my favorite parts as I have never had a real knack for hair!
It was free of course but we had so many students on different levels working on different things, it was a public high school too so sometimes things didn't work properly, i.e. running out of hot water the day we do cholesterol treatments on everyone's hair!

I wanted to go on and continue with the last of the training and then take the exam because I didn't think I had qualified for a state scholarship to go to college, well at the very last second they did award me the scholarship so I went to college! B.A. in International Affairs, will be done at the end of this semester and going for a certificate in Legal Interpreting.

But my big dream is to go back, re-take anything and everything and finally be able to do that as my work. The real goal is eventually to have my own salon, I don't know how real that can be since my degree has all been in political science! But we'll see :)

S
Follow your dreams hunny!! After all that's why we are all here...to live the dream! Go for it!! I believe in you!:hug:

So glad to meet everyone!!!
I know there are more out there...comon in!! Got some iced coffee too!!

I'm from Vegas originally ......
My name is Melissa:lol:
started doing nails in 88....
Moved to Canada about 2 years ago.......

Go girl - Yolanda - if any of the USA geeks are geeking - get to know Yolanda - she is a sweetie xxx
Thanks hun!! (meant to reply to your post earlier :o)

Welcome to you too Melissa!!!

Well as most Americans are descended from Scots! (or the Irish)....I feel I can post on your thread Yolanda!!....Jeez we might even be related!!

Good thread....as I feel that our American friends are not as vocal as they could be ( your good self being the exception!!)....so keep on posting...and a big welcome to the site to all you lurking americans :hug:

Latest posts

Back