!...Can anyone help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadAboutNails

Reaction score
Hi All

I've been checking out this fab site for months and plucked up the courage to register just today! I'm quite new to nails and have finished training 3 months ago. (It takes me ages to do a set of nails !!!)

I did a new client 3 days ago and it turns out 4 nails have "just come off" (one split first). It was her friend that phoned to let me know but I will call the client myself to check out what happened etc.

The client is on anti-deppresants and during the consultation, I did warn her of the possibility due to her medication, the enhancements may not stay on etc... certain medications affect the body, hair ...and nails too etc. I had to do alot of work on her cuticles before going ahead with the extensions, they were hard, sticking to the nail plate etc.

I used creative's velocity tips, gelbond, scrubfresh, retention+ and a combination of glimmer & twilight powders for a glitzy french look. When I finished....4hrs later!
icon_redface.gif
She was impressed with the result... as was her 2 friends who were present (i'm mobile)... and I was soooo pleased with them too.

Anyway, now that they are coming off.... I'm not sure how to best handle the situation.

Should I mention her medication could be responsible and offer to redo the fallen off nails free of charge? But what if it happens again?

It's knocked my confidence... her two friends watched me throughout the appointment too so I feel like when I go back to sort her nails I'll have an audience!! Also her friend who called is now saying the infill I did on her the day before is lifting away too and she's never had that before...... but that's another story!!!

I don't know what to do for the best. Any advice would be sooooo brill.

xx

sorry to hear about your dilemma pet - but one of my clients is also on anti-depressants and she has NEVER had a problem with her enhancements. if you know that you done your prep thouroughly then you dont blame yourself - your client must be doing something to encourage the enhancements to lift. i normally find that if ive done all the prep etc perfectly and then the client says they are lifting - pound to a penny THEY are causing them to lift. they dont just "fall off" as we all know so well. maybe you should ask her to keep one of the nails that just "fell off" so you could maybe determine the prob, whats the betting she hasnt got it!!!!!!!!!!! funny enough i had a client 2 weeks ago that had a new set on, on the saturday, but by the sunday evening she rang me to tell me that they had just "popped off", turned out from one of her friends she had actually been sitting picking, biting and all the rest of it (the friend sat and watched her do it) - then had a neck to turn to the friend and say "look theres another one just popped off" - if i were you flower i wouldnt worry as long as you KNOW you prepped properly and done everything right - its down to your client - NOT YOU

this is what i think anyway

Hi Hun
I have a couple of clients that are on anti depressants and have no prob with lifting or losing em!!
It's not easy getting to the bottom of problems like these as clients can be reluctant to tell the whole truth sometimes.
It's process of elimination hun!!
If your prep was meticulous then it ain't down to that, but if more cuticle could have been removed then it may be down to that!
Did you use cnd cuticle remover when prepping?
hth
Amanda

Thanks for responding !

I think I prepped thoroughly but because her two friends were chatting constantly I did find it a bit distracting... maybe I did miss something out. I used cnd cuticle eraser and a pushie and had taken quite a bit of cuticle residue off the surface of her natural nail. She did admit to being a nail nibbler later on during her appointment though.

I wasn't sure about the anti-depressants making a difference or not. Cheers for that!

I guess I'll have a better idea of what's happened to them when i see her nails...whether there's damage present or if they've just come clean off.

xx

MadAboutNails said:
I did a new client 3 days ago and it turns out 4 nails have "just come off" (one split first). It was her friend that phoned to let me know but I will call the client myself to check out what happened etc.

The client is on anti-deppresants and during the consultation, I did warn her of the possibility due to her medication, the enhancements may not stay on etc... certain medications affect the body, hair ...and nails too etc. I had to do alot of work on her cuticles before going ahead with the extensions, they were hard, sticking to the nail plate etc.

Hi Nina,

One of the main reasons for a nail spliting is that the tip is too small, if it is too tight it will split horizontally down the middle. Another reason is if the tip has been weakened by wipping it over with scrub fresh, it cleanses and dehydrates the nail but will weaken a tip :(

The lady who had the rebalance and now says her nails are lifting, was the ratio ok? If it was a little wet it can slightly flood into the cuticle which would cause lifting (I know because when i first started I also had this problem :mad: )
There are lots of other reasons why her nails could've also lifted which would have nothing to do with the application, but everything to do with the client (even if they do say that all they did was roll over in bed and 4 nails fell off!!!!!!!!!!!! I've also had that line :rolleyes: )
Anyway hope this helps, dont give up yet.

Mel xx

One of the main reasons for a nail spliting is that the tip is too small, if it is too tight it will split horizontally down the middle. Mel xx[/QUOTE]
i also found that the client putting the nail in her mouth and applying too much pressure from either side (AT THE SAME TIME) also causes the nail to split down the centre

Hi Nin,
Sorry to hear about your dilema but we've all had/get clients who say "they just popped off" :rolleyes:
I note from your prep that you said you used Cuticle Eraser, could I just suggest that you change that to Cuticle Remover ...because that is what you really need to shift stubborn cuticle like youre talking about here.
Hth x.

i also found that the client putting the nail in her mouth and applying too much pressure from either side (AT THE SAME TIME) also causes the nail to split down the centre.

Hee hee that made me chuckle!

Listen babe sometimes when just starting out people will take advantage, they know you are a little nervous and not overly experienced so they could be trying to get something for nothing, on the other hand at this point it could also have been your application, so here is what I would do, when you have the fix appointment with the client make sure you have a GOOD look at her nail plates, Ruth Fordham (Nailsinlondon1) has a great trick for seeing if the enhancements have 'fallen' off or have been helped! If I'm right this is to apply scrubfresh to the nails and if it has been pulled off there will be tiny white lines on the nail where it has pulled some of the nail plate with it (is that right Ruth?). If these are present then you need to gather your confidence up and say you will apply some new enhancements, that you will need to charge for them (apologetically of course ;) ) and will keep an eye on them, she will know you are not going to take any **** if indeed she did help them on their way and if not she will think you are very professional! This is just my opinion but one of the things that I truly believe is to start as you mean to go on and you can't afford to get a reputation for giving services away. As for the lifting I'd say just watch your application in that zone (3), it can be a bit of a bugger to get right, nice and thin and press press press! I hope some of that helps you! I know how you are feeling it happened to me, I think it happens to alot of us! J xx

Hi everyone.... and thanks for all your replies! I have taken it all on board. Thanks.

And Big Huge appolgies for not managing to respond sooner.

An update..... I said to my clients friend that it was no problem and that I would come and have a look at thier nails and see what has happened and that we can take things from there. I was polite and explained that it was no problem whatsoever for me to have a look and see what I could do etc. I told her I was available to come over later that week on the thursday and friday, so if they could call back with which day suited them best I'd be there.

I got a call on the friday saying her friend had decided to take off all her nails as she was so disheartened and that she was going to take her nails off too as they were too long. ( I had recommened her to take them off anyway at her appointment as they'd been on for 4 months and was concerned about her nails as her previous tech had been rough and damaged her nail plate but she insisted she wanted to have an infill/repair). I did say there was no need for her friend to take them off as there are things that can be done etc... it was a shame she didn't give me a chance to have a look.

Anyway, I didn't even get the chance to see any of thier nails so I'm a bit frustrated, gutted and :sad: . I guess I'll never know what went on there. Did I handle it wrong?... who knows.

It's knocked my confidence. But I'll learn!!!!

To add to confusion too..... the local chemist said that depending on which anti-depressant and depending on the person reactions etc, the medication may or may not affect the nails!!! Arghhhhhhh:eek:

I have been there a few times mate.... Clients will give any excuse as to why tips have split, lifted or come off completley. I have had a few classics....
Don't be disheartened.... just keep going. When it first happened to me I lost all confidence in my work.
But take a look around... some people are walking around with what they think are excellent nails... some are, but some aren't, not when you get a good close up look. I'm sure your'e work will improve ten fold when you stop worrying about this insident......have faith in yourself. Good luck Hun!

Thanx everyone. . . and I know what you said AngelMax001 is true but it sure knocks the confidence out of you! It's just so hard when you first start out on your own. But knowing there's all you guys out there been there and done it, it makes it a bit easier!

Gee I just love this site.... there's so much help and advice out there. Makes me feel so much better! Thank you thank you thank you.

hi
advice please, i am currently doing L & P but have tried doing some gels on my mother for practice using NSI balance but i am having trouble soaking off, the nsi acetone just doesn't seem to touch the gel am i doing something wrong?

Hi beautybox

Welcome to the site!! Firstly you need to get your thread up on the main board not in amongst this thread - that way you'll get loads more advice!! It may get lost in here x

If the NSI gel is a true gel, then it won't soak off - even in acetone. It requires buffing off until the last layer - but be sure not to buff onto the natural nail. Then soak the last layers off.

Hope this helps x

Latest posts

Back