can I ask

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Originally Posted by The Geek
If it is a discussion... It is a thread! If it is personal meanderings, stories, events, etc... In other words... if it is "all about you"... BLOG IT!

That could only have been written by a man :lol:

As the bulk of users of the forum are women, anything can be turned into a discussion :eek:

I'll get my coat.....

Mike

Congratulations:hug:
There's chitchat and there's another thing that rhymes with it.
This is chitchat I think.
There's a lot of the other too so I see both sides of this xxx

I stand by the requests made here....http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/65062-voice-inside-says-blog.html

No-one is saying everything has to be about our profession....just that if your thread is just an announcement that will generate a list of posts with nothing more than "well done"..."congrats" and "good for you"...then it makes for a blog....however if it involves a question..."anyone know a good recipe for hot pot"..."ideas needed for lounge decor"...then its fine...it makes for a good read....discussion...etc

These are MY opinions and not at all a rule book for what people should and should not be doing.

I love the blogs...I think the threads are where you really get to know the therapist or tech, and the blogs are where you really get to know the person!:hug:

I've made some of my best friends in the blogs xxx

I stand by the requests made here....http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/65062-voice-inside-says-blog.html

No-one is saying everything has to be about our profession....just that if your thread is just an announcement that will generate a list of posts with nothing more than "well done"..."congrats" and "good for you"...then it makes for a blog....however if it involves a question..."anyone know a good recipe for hot pot"..."ideas needed for lounge decor"...then its fine...it makes for a good read....discussion...etc

These are MY opinions and not at all a rule book for what people should and should not be doing.

Angie

When you're a Mod your opinions drive the decisions you make and the threads you close, so your opinion drives the rules and the moderation activities.

User opinions are just as important, they just don't have the ability to enforce them.

Mike

Angie

When you're a Mod your opinions drive the decisions you make and the threads you close, so your opinion drives the rules and the moderation activities.

User opinions are just as important, they just don't have the ability to enforce them.

Mike

Are you one of my ex husbands in disguise?:eek::)

I do think it a shame that chit chat has now only become a place for asking questions. It's always been a forum that has been a little contentious with it's contents ... one man's meat and all that!

BUT the chit chat forum was always what made the site special, more of a staff room for us to have a good chin wag and for new people to find their feet and start posting with confidence before maybe venturing into the main forums.

Then came the blogs! (well actually it was journals!) and gradually all the friendly chit chat stuff has moved over there, and now with so many bloggers it's hard to keep up with some of the more important announcements with so much going on there. So I can see why Dawnie wanted to openly post something that was so special.

I know it's Sam's train set, and as a Mod I have to say that we ALL have to support his wishes, but personally speaking I do think it would be a shame if the chit chat forum lost its roots completely. :hug::hug::hug:

Well said and I do think that ok Sam made the site but its the people on it that make it what it is and I know there must be rules surely a little flexablity is good I mean we dont want the site to be like a big brother concept.

Last edited:
Angie

Mike

Thank you Mike...As a moderator its my job to stay impartial....I am here simply to help keep things running smoothly, not to police the site....I don't enforce anything.

I don't come from a business background so forgive me if your business like post flies right over my little head...:lol:

I think what we have to remember here is how big the site has become. When I joined nearly 4 years ago there were about 3000 members. I've just checked and we are up to nearly 19,000. I guess from a sleepy little village we have grown in to a rip roaring city and many changes have been made along the way, FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE SITE!

Now some of us may not like the changes and some may do and I am sure that to some newer members (and even older ones) they may seem even a little Draconian at times. I personally like a mix of ALL chit chat in this forum, even some stuff intended for blogs as long as the individual user doesn't abuse it, but it's not up to me!

Whether we like it or not we have to respect Sam's wishes as to how it should be run and how he implements the changes. It's his train set, as I originally said, and whilst some of don't like the rules I'm afraid, as with anything in life we have to abide by them.

...and whilst debate about them is great, sometimes you just have to say okay I'm not happy but I respect them and put up with it. C'est la vie mes geeks et geekettes!

Are you one of my ex husbands in disguise?:eek::)

We'll always have the memory of that wonderful weekend in S****horpe :hug:.

I've had to have the tattoo of your name removed though as Vanessa didn't like it :eek:

Love you always

Mike :wink2:

We'll always have the memory of that wonderful weekend in S****horpe :hug:.

I've had to have the tattoo of your name removed though as Vanessa didn't like it :eek:

Love you always

Mike :wink2:

Yep. I thought I knew the name of that place:)

Thank you Mike...As a moderator its my job to stay impartial....I am here simply to help keep things running smoothly, not to police the site....I don't enforce anything.

I don't come from a business background so forgive me if your business like post flies right over my little head...:lol:

Are you saying you've never closed a thread ?

Mike

Are you saying you've never closed a thread ?

Mike

not at all... where in my reply did I imply that I hadnt....:)

I said I help the site to run smoothly and if that involves closing a thread, editing a thread or deleting a thread in accordance to the site rules then of course I will. I do not edit, close or delete anything because of any personal reasons.

not at all... where in my reply did I imply that I hadnt....:)

I said I help the site to run smoothly and if that involves closing a thread, editing a thread or deleting a thread in accordance to the site rules then of course I will. I do not edit, close or delete anything because of any personal reasons.

Angie

Sorry. Somewhere along the line I haven't explained myself well enough:cry:. I didn't mean to imply you would close stuff for personal reasons and wouldn't think you would do that :hug:

I'm afraid I have to disagree with your point that you do not police the site as you and other moderators clearly do. that's what moderators do - implement the rules :).

The point I didn't make that well is that at present, what seems to happen on this site is individually and collaboratively, mods evolve the rules 'for the good of the site'. If they do this in isolation or as reactions to minority complaints, the 'rules' are influenced by mods and will in some way reflect personal opinion. There is also the potential that rules make moderation easier instead of user experience better :irked:.

To try and get back to the fundamental point here - what is this community here for - the geeks, the mods, Sam, CND ? If it's for the geek community they should have a voice in it's evolution rather than mods doing things 'for our own good'.

I keep hearing that the mods decided this and that. Why not put it to the vote and let the geeks decide ? Then no-one can moan :).

Hope that explains things better.

Mike

I quite agree, with you Angie. However does that mean if we wish a fellow geek happy birthday it has to be in the blogs? Not saying that is where I think it should be, but it is a bit more like an announcement than a questions for discussion. :)

I keep hearing that the mods decided this and that. Why not put it to the vote and let the geeks decide ? Then no-one can moan :).

Hope that explains things better.

Mike

To be fair, do they let the lunatics run the asylum? Or the children run the schools?

Our mods are pretty selfless individuals who do what they do for free....so this board can exist for us. I think we should be thanking them, not arguing against what they do.

A happy Birthday wish is directed at a person and is not about what is happening in your personal life......So wishing someone a happy birthday in the chit chat forum is fab and other get the chance to include their birthday wishes and greetings too.....

a blog entry is like a diary or journal..... writing it in there is like writing a happy birthday card to somone and showing it to all your friends hoping that your birthday friend may come to your house so you can show it to them......

Now if that birthday geek themselfs would say well wohooooooooo its my birthday today and this is what I got and this is where I am being taken to, then yes that is a blog entry.....

To be fair, do they let the lunatics run the asylum? Or the children run the schools?

Our mods are pretty selfless individuals who do what they do for free....so this board can exist for us. I think we should be thanking them, not arguing against what they do.

I do agree with this Lynsday the Moderators like the rest of us have to abide by the site rules this is not their doing but how Sam wants his site run and I doubt they would be moderators if they didnt go along with it.

I quite agree, with you Angie. However does that mean if we wish a fellow geek happy birthday it has to be in the blogs? Not saying that is where I think it should be, but it is a bit more like an announcement than a questions for discussion. :)

A happy Birthday wish is directed at a person and is not about what is happening in your personal life......So wishing someone a happy birthday in the chit chat forum is fab and other get the chance to include their birthday wishes and greetings too.....

a blog entry is like a diary or journal..... writing it in there is like writing a happy birthday card to somone and showing it to all your friends hoping that your birthday friend may come to your house so you can show it to them......

Now if that birthday geek themselfs would say well wohooooooooo its my birthday today and this is what I got and this is where I am being taken to, then yes that is a blog entry.....

what Ruth said....:lol:

Here Here! I've had some fab help/dealings with the mods (real people) recently!:hug: Thanks XXX:hug:

Thanks Ruth for your prompt reply XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back