can I ask

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, do they let the lunatics run the asylum? Or the children run the schools?

Our mods are pretty selfless individuals who do what they do for free....so this board can exist for us. I think we should be thanking them, not arguing against what they do.

To be honest I don't think those are fair or useful analogies as the users of this forum are not lunatics or children. Neither lunatics nor children get to vote but the users of this forum all (over 18) get to vote about who runs the country.

If people choose to let others run their lives for them that is their choice. I prefer to be at the wheel of my destiny.

In terms of the mods, I think you can do both. I think we all have the ability to thank them for their work and it should also be ok to feedback when we think decisions, actions and behaviours are not in the best interests of the community. That's the great thing about democracy :).

Regards

Mike

I just have to cut to the chase here......
We are going round and round in circles about what we Mod's should or should not do.....
Like any social community we have rules and guidelines. guidelines set out by Samuel himself.......
We have at this moment: Threads: 65,002, Posts: 743,585, Members: 20,471
It is a huge community and I have to say runs pretty smooth compared to other much smaller on-line forums.....
When you join any community, association or what ever you want to call it there will be rules and guidlines..... hey we even have these in our own family and like any family there will be a head of the household.... in our case its Samuel, he pays for this site and it is as Sassy always says "It is His train set". He makes the rules and we abide by them....

If there are any problems with regards to Moderating, Moderators themselves, problems with the rules or guidelines, clarifying grey areas, improvement comments and suggestions or advise to how this site could be run better, then direct those to the powers that can.....because even if you do run a poll the final decision is still with Samuel Head of our Geeky Household.

Now back to my Voddy and Orange and the other 100's of posts that I haven't read yet xxxx

To be honest I don't think those are fair or useful analogies as the users of this forum are not lunatics or children. Neither lunatics nor children get to vote but the users of this forum all (over 18) get to vote about who runs the country.

If people choose to let others run their lives for them that is their choice. I prefer to be at the wheel of my destiny.

Good heavens, this is a internet forum people choose to join for pleasure and information, to network....not a nazi camp, they were forced to be part of. Where's the bright lights?????

In terms of the mods, I think you can do both. I think we all have the ability to thank them for their work and it should also be ok to feedback when we think decisions, actions and behaviours are not in the best interests of the community. That's the great thing about democracy :).

Regards

Mike

As a longstanding member of the site, with no disprespect meant to you or anyone else, I've been around for quite a bit longer than a lot of people (not all, but a lot...I think the member count was just under 5000 when I joined) and have, in the past, seen considerably better behaved lunatics and children than some of the people and situations our mods and Sam have had to deal with.

I've said the same to many a therapist or tech I've come across in the past.....come here and join us becasue you love it, not because you want to lead a revolution and change it.

By all means, let everyone know any thoughts that may offer us all better facilities.....but I beg of you please don't presume that you know better...certainly than Sam or our mods who have put countless hours into making this a great place and have quite rightly earnt the position and respect they have now, both in the idustry and on the boards.

I've said my piece from the heart and from experience, and I fully recognise that the world would be a very boring place if we all wanted the same...I have no desire whatsoever to see this thread degenerate the way many have in the past, and give our mods even more hard work and tough decisions...I am bowing out before it goes that way, and heading back to the blogs! :lol:

Compared to the sheer number of active members who post every day we seem happy with how things are done and when things go a little askew it's almost always sorted out amicably. You cant please everyone 100% of the time but nothing in this life works that way. I don't understand this questioning of how things are done or handled by the mods or suggestions on how to do things differently in this topic or elsewhere in the last couple days. They do a fab job, as does Sam. I guess if I don't want to play by the rules or I don't like it I could find another place to visit but rarely have I found a forum where you can PM the mods, admin or anyone else and get a quick and fair response to a question or the cause of upset or wide support from Geeks no matter who they are in just about every angle of professional or private life. :hug::hug:

As a longstanding member of the site, with no disprespect meant to you or anyone else, I've been around for quite a bit longer than a lot of people (not all, but a lot...I think the member count was just under 5000 when I joined) and have, in the past, seen considerably better behaved lunatics and children than some of the people and situations our mods and Sam have had to deal with.

I've said the same to many a therapist or tech I've come across in the past.....come here and join us becasue you love it, not because you want to lead a revolution and change it.

By all means, let everyone know any thoughts that may offer us all better facilities.....but I beg of you please don't presume that you know better...certainly than Sam or our mods who have put countless hours into making this a great place and have quite rightly earnt the position and respect they have now, both in the idustry and on the boards.

I've said my piece from the heart and from experience, and I fully recognise that the world would be a very boring place if we all wanted the same...I have no desire whatsoever to see this thread degenerate the way many have in the past, and give our mods even more hard work and tough decisions...I am bowing out before it goes that way, and heading back to the blogs! :lol:

Lindsay

Steady now, when did the nazis get involved and who said I presumed to know better ?

As I've got older one of the most useful things I've learned is that there is no right or wrong, just stuff we do and things that happen as a result. right and wrong are relative to an individuals moral compass or a set of rules etc etc.

The point that is being diluted is that this is a community and we all have what I term 'the right to be ignored'. My opinion is as valuable as yours and anyone elses.

This comunity evolves on a daily basis and stuff happens that people like and stuff happens that they don't. If the community fails to feedback to the mods on what is good and what isn't, how can they judge what the right things to do are ?

Mods make good decisions based on feedback from the community and it helps them do what the community wants. Without the community the site is nothing. I get the sense that it is frowned on to feedback if you don't like something but you can praise people - is that really a sensible way to run things.

Saying something is pants is not useful feedback, suggesting other options is more useful. that's what has happened here started by Dawnie and many others.

Anyway the bookkeeper is coming tomorrow and we've finally gathered all the stuff together for her so off to bed for us.

Regards

Mike

Hey geeky friends - I've been on the site at least twice today lol

anyhoo

IMHO we have to respect both the owners and the moderators/administrators of the site! AND THE MEMBERS!

Most give their time freely and have been in the industry for a long time and therefore know the insides of a wotnot (whatever one of those are:lol:). Furthermore, I think everyone does a fab job - remember if it wasn't for our mods and members - we wouldn't have a site - instead of questioning what they are doing right we should be looking at what they have achieved and done right!!!

ENCOURAGE SUCCESS!!! not failure!

Constructive opinion always has a place but down right rudeness will always be ignored :eek:

I have the upmost respect for the owners, mods and memebers - they give us the opportunity to voice our opinions and tell our stories - sure at times we may have times when we don't agree BUT if we can see past that and behave in a professional manner - then cool :green:

I will leave it at that for now - off to the land of nod :wink2:

Mike tbh here I can understand what you are saying about us all having an opinion but the problem that can happen on the site is when someone says things are not right or they wouldnt do it this way because we all have different opinions.

The site as been running for many many years and started out with a very small number of us it has been going for so long because it as been well run and because of its policys. We may not all want to agree with every rule but do we agree with every rule in society ??the answer is probably No but we have to abide by them because that what makes are country run smoothly:)

We all have a choice on whether we use the site, I think the Mods who do their job and do it free of charge and very well are one reason the site does run so well and I have noticed that when a Mod answers a thread or posts a site rule etc The people who dont agree always have a moan I have been guilty of this in the past looking at it as a personal attack but We need to understand that these people are very nice people because when I first became a member non of them were Mods they were members just like all of us :hug:

Well Mike, since you are brand spanking new to the site and clearly confused about a few items, let me give you some background.

I remember the days (I joined when there was just me on the site!) when all personal meanderings were posted in Chit Chat. It greatly enhanced the community and made it more personable. Sadly another 18,000 people showed up to the party and the site became swamped with 'I got a splinter in my toe this weekend' threads.

Ye, the amount of personal progress stories (i.e. 'Splinter Update Day 4: Almost got that bugger out') started to outnumber the 'I have a nail question' threads.

After countless complaints (where was that poll?!?) I changed the 'Whats new' link to exclude the personal bits AND to introduced blogs/journals.

The journals were popular for about 5 minutes. That was to say, until people realised they weren't getting as much attention as when there were threads mixed up with professional banter. So people started posting their personal splinter stories back into chit-chat. After all, it is essential more people knew about your splinter (and what better way to get that message out there?)!

Eventually, after the sheer number of complaints (where was that poll again?!?) I made it a rule to post personal meanderings in the blogs. Now here is the amazing thing: Visitors now have a choice! They can read off topic discussions in chit chat, or your personal meanderings in your blog. Why are people complaining? Because ironically, when given a choice, many visitors don't want to read about the splinters. FWIW I am not a fan of what the blogs have become and as such, I don't even like to frequent them very often. I tried to set the tone with mine, but have pretty much given up. IMO blogs should have been more about personal insight instead of personal whinge, but alas; people MUST tell their splinter story and as such it is better to have it in the blogs than in the forums so that the other 19,000 members and 10,000 visitors a day have a choice whether to catch up on it or not.

To try and get back to the fundamental point here - what is this community here for - the geeks, the mods, Sam, CND ? If it's for the geek community they should have a voice in it's evolution rather than mods doing things 'for our own good'.

Let me answer your 'fundamental' question here: The rules are the way they are NOT because I posted a poll, but because this site isn't about just you. If you want to post your 'I have a splinter' message to the world, we have provided a place for you to do it where the other 10,000 visitors a day don't have to trip over it to get to the content they came here for. If you don't like it, that sucks. But I'll have to live with it so that I know the other 10,000 visitors a day will enjoy it.

Hope this clarified the 'fundamental point'.

nJoy

Without trolling through every comment passed on this thread it occurs to me that if you are playing a game of footy...well fotty rules apply and the game goes well under the ever watchfull eye of the ref who is there to ensure the rules which everyone understands are maintained and that fair play is the order of the day.

Now if a player comes onto the feild and want's to play rugger...well mayhem ensues and all the punters no longer wish to watch the match because it's suddenly become something it wasnt before..boring as no one seems to know the rules so therefore dont understand the game as ther is no direction or seemingly point to whats going on etc.

So enjoy participating in the match being played :hug:

OMG was that just a load of tosh ive just posted or what :eek:

Without trolling through every comment passed on this thread it occurs to me that if you are playing a game of footy...well fotty rules apply and the game goes well under the ever watchfull eye of the ref who is there to ensure the rules which everyone understands are maintained and that fair play is the order of the day.

Now if a player comes onto the feild and want's to play rugger...well mayhem ensues and all the punters no longer wish to watch the match because it's suddenly become something it wasnt before..boring as no one seems to know the rules so therefore dont understand the game as ther is no direction or seemingly point to whats going on etc.

Nope it was perfectly put,i love your analogy and completely agree,if you don't like the rules get off the pitch :D

i love your analogy

Phew thank goodness for that :hug:

Didnt know what that word meant either till now :lol::lol::lol:..only kidding of course :eek:

Happy geeking :hug:

What time does the match start :lol::lol:

I am going to add a spanner in the works.....I have brought this up before as well, it would appear, all be it in my opinion , it would appear there is one rule for one and one rule for another,

That said however....thats life!! and although I have had a run in with the moderator lately and althought I cant comment on how the site used to be run, I have to abide by what rules the moderator feels fit to quote me, I

I do understand that with a site that has numerous numbers, which I imagine grow by the day, there does have to be guidelines by which members have to abide by.... but I do wish things are read properly(and I am sooo guilty of reading an old thread:))

I absolutely love the way you worded all that sam:hug:as only YOU can !

Amb x

I think this is a sound analogy and it works for me. What tends to rankle a little is when the interpretation of the rules varies and more importantly it becomes 'not the done thing' to question decisions.

Moderation is a thankless task at the best of times but is ewarding and a privilege. A number of posts here suggest that you should not be questioning the mods :eek: If we go that way they will never get the feedback they need to continue doing an excellent job as they will never know what is good or bad, just that they have a mute audience.

Is it not a responsibility of the user to give feedback on the good and the less good ? And when the feedack is less good is it not more helpful to suggest alternatives ?

Anyway Dawnie's thread has been hijacked enough, so I'm off to play footie with the hope that all the refs play by the same rules :wink2:

Regards

Mike

Mike tbh here I can understand what you are saying about us all having an opinion but the problem that can happen on the site is when someone says things are not right or they wouldnt do it this way because we all have different opinions.

The site as been running for many many years and started out with a very small number of us it has been going for so long because it as been well run and because of its policys. We may not all want to agree with every rule but do we agree with every rule in society ??the answer is probably No but we have to abide by them because that what makes are country run smoothly:)

We all have a choice on whether we use the site, I think the Mods who do their job and do it free of charge and very well are one reason the site does run so well and I have noticed that when a Mod answers a thread or posts a site rule etc The people who dont agree always have a moan I have been guilty of this in the past looking at it as a personal attack but We need to understand that these people are very nice people because when I first became a member non of them were Mods they were members just like all of us :hug:

I totally agree that one must abide by the rules of the forum :). I think it's also ok to voice your opinion if you think they're wrong whilst abiding by them :rolleyes:.

Regards

Mike

Moderation is a thankless task at the best of times but is rewarding and a privilege. A number of posts here suggest that you should not be questioning the mods :eek: If we go that way they will never get the feedback they need to continue doing an excellent job as they will never know what is good or bad, just that they have a mute audience.
If the site were so bad, the rules were so unfair and the moderators so ignorant to member feedback then please explain to me why we have the number of threads, the number of posts and the number of members who return day after day, week after week and month after month to be a part of this salon professionals community, which is also the largest salon professionals community on the web?

Is it not a responsibility of the user to give feedback on the good and the less good ? And when the feedack is less good is it not more helpful to suggest alternatives ?
Nobody is saying that feedback is bad, but when it appears to take over the lives of those who are giving negative feedback surely that's when it becomes an unhealthy obsession?
There are other ways of giving feedback, such as by private messages (which you are already of aware of) and by using the 'contact us' link at the bottom of the screen.
As Sam said "If you don't like it, that sucks. But I'll have to live with it so that I know the other 10,000 visitors a day will enjoy it."

As Sam said "If you don't like it, that sucks. But I'll have to live with it so that I know the other 10,000 visitors a day will enjoy it."

Sandi

I think you misquoted Sam as his post refers to the point Dawnie made. If he was referring to my points it wasn't very clear. I agree with what he's said so not responded.

I've never said this forum is so bad and the moderation is bad and whatever else you have chosen to take from my posts. All I can offer you is the following summary:

Moderators do a hard job and I have a lot of respect for them :hug:

They get things wrong sometimes - we're all human and people do and it's ok to :Love:

I think it's ok to say when you think errors of judgement have been made in a positive way. If I have not done that I sincerely apologise as I do my best to give as positive feedback as I can.

I think it's ok to admit an error of judgement and correct it :o

I will abide by the rules of the forum :Kissing:

If I think that I have been moderated unfairly I will say so because I think it is important to be fair and consistent in moderation.

I'd be grateful for your advice by PM or otherwise if any of these things are not ok on this site as I do fully intend to abide by the rules of the forum.

Regards

Mike

Mike you make it sound like we don't have the option available for members to give feedback...we do...they can PM a mod or GMG...or they can click the contact us link at the bottom of each page.

I cant help feeling that you are arguing for the sake of arguing here..the questions you have asked have been answered...what more is there to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back