Can shellac just peel off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You must be a perfect polisher like me!! lol

Seriously ... over 50% of the people I have watched so far applying Shellac AND many of the photos I have viewed show that the techs are ladling Shellac on and applying to thick.

The problem is that thick is how most technicians polish normally and they don't think it is wrong!! They have to be taught how to polish.

Interesting that at the recent EVENT I had over 150 professional nail techs sign up to attend the Perfect Polishing class given by myself and the queen of polishers Marian Newman. I don't think it was just to see our pretty faces!!! Many nail techs have never been taught how to polish and even most of their chipping problems with ordinary polish is probably down to applying too thick an application!!

I hope I wasnt one of the 50%.....lol!!!!

Yes your right, when the client came back with the peeling straight away I knew it had been applied WAY too thick. They had only peeled very slightly in the corners and I think its when she is capping the free edge & she is leaving too much product on the brush. I paint & cap in one!

So we have had another pow wow thats its thin to win!!!!!!!!!!

The bottles of colour need a very good shake as the pigment settles. Not just the usual roll as with polish. I wonder if that was why you had trouble with a good finish?
Thanks mum, i didn't know i had to shake! I didn't roll the bottle either has i wasn't sure if i would end up with bubbles in the coating so didn't want to risk it.
I did the salon owners (she's an hairdresser) nails again today in clear and made sure i kept it ultra thin, kept thinking has i was polishing 'gold dust..costing me money...scrimp and scrape or the bottle will run out!' lol, or i will forget and apply like i would do with a polish.

There are no matte colours in the Shellac range. Every bottle needs shaking hard before application as Marian has said. Do NOT just roll the bottles but give them a good old shake (including the Top and Base coat) EVERY time.

Can't say it enough .. PAINT THIN!! You shouldn't be trying to build Shellac up on the nails.

As for some of the comments re peeling with heat etc .. I have been wearing Shellac for months, not just a week or so ... so don't make snap decisions ... I Minx nails and I wash up for ENGLAND and scrub pans and do all the stuff everyone else does and more and have never had a hint of peeling from Shellac, in fact, no change in appearance from day one to day 14 other than a good deal of regrowth showing at the eponychium.

if it needs can we put 3 layers of colour on? or will it end up too thick?

if it needs can we put 3 layers of colour on? or will it end up too thick?

If you apply it properly it won't need the third coat so I was told when I asked this question at the Event. But also I was told that if you are applying it thin and you think it needs another coat, you can apply very thin as well.

I have been Shlacing like crazy in the last week and I did not need to apply third coat at all.

;)

If you apply it properly it won't need the third coat so I was told when I asked this question at the Event. But also I was told that if you are applying it thin and you think it needs another coat, you can apply very thin as well.

I have been Shlacing like crazy in the last week and I did not need to apply third coat at all.

;)

thanks for that, its just i used rose bud on a lady yesterday and her thumbs didnt look fully covered...she did have some quite deep ridges on them.
i went over with a 3rd layer of colour im hoping they wont peel off if i have put too many layers on?!
i told her to just call me if she has any problems ...fingers crossed xx

For those who know me, know that i love experimenting. So the latest experiment conducted was - i have shellaced myself with tropix on sunday. One hand was cured in the CND lamp and the other was cured in the daylight lamp.

Cnd lamp cured hand is shiney like new, the weird lamp cured hand is already dull and some peeling happening, although both hands were done with thin application.

Once again the science behind has proven itself. System should always be used as a system.

;)

thanks for that, its just i used rose bud on a lady yesterday and her thumbs didnt look fully covered...she did have some quite deep ridges on them.
i went over with a 3rd layer of colour im hoping they wont peel off if i have put too many layers on?!
i told her to just call me if she has any problems ...fingers crossed xx

I hope neither you or any others actually say this to a client??

I never invite a client to ring me with problems as (a) I don't expect any and (b) I am not opening the door up for a client to try to get a free service.

I give them aftercare advise and book an appointment for 2-3 weeks before they leave.

I do let them know that if they need me for anything they can give me a ring any time, but I never say for problems!!!

Well i found an air line crack on my shallaced middle finger on monday (must of done it while cleaning and this nail is one of my bendy ones) the crack held out for free days and then the edge chipped off. I have a little edge which can be lifted but it doesn't want to be peeled off. If i did try and peel it off it will take some force and will no doubt cause some stress to my nail plate!
All my other nails are still looking fab thou and its been over a week now, im so pleased with this product! :D

Oh i forgot to add, AND I CAN SEE THEM GROWING! My own nails never grow without breaking. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i found an air line crack on my shallaced middle finger on monday (must of done it while cleaning and this nail is one of my bendy ones) the crack held out for free days and then the edge chipped off. I have a little edge which can be lifted but it doesn't want to be peeled off. If i did try and peel it off it will take some force and will no doubt cause some stress to my nail plate!
All my other nails are still looking fab thou and its been over a week now, im so pleased with this product! :D

Oh i forgot to add, AND I CAN SEE THEM GROWING! My own nails never grow without breaking. :)

Look we need to be real .... You know, with normal wear and tear (even excessive wear and tear) Shellac never chips nor cracks .. but it is not guaranteed against a trauma caused by a client any more than enhancments are. Bang it hard enough and of course there will be damage done if not immediately then eventually.

Look we need to be real .... You know, with normal wear and tear (even excessive wear and tear) Shellac never chips nor cracks .. but it is not guaranteed against a trauma caused by a client any more than enhancments are. Bang it hard enough and of course there will be damage done if not immediately then eventually.
I haven't shellaced any clients yet, only the girls in the salon so far (I've only serviced die hard L&P clients for the past week and i haven't got round to advertising shellac yet) But i will let my shellac clients know this. Thanks geeg x

I was going to say "Oh it peeled for me!"
But I realized that I didn't check which bottle I was using and ended up using the Top coat as a base and top :o

So I'll just shut up!

Latest posts

Back