Can we save our planet for our children?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We do our bit. Re-cycling, turning things off, energy saving bulbs, etc. But check this out. I work for the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (which is why I geek all day! :zzz: ). They have a sustainable environment programme, which promotes "greener" living. The heating in our office is controlled centrally. It's so hot in our office, we have to open the windows! What a waste of energy. It's not exactly giving out a positive message, is it, if the government body trying to educate people can't even get it right?

We do our bit. Re-cycling, turning things off, energy saving bulbs, etc. But check this out. I work for the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (which is why I geek all day! :zzz: ). They have a sustainable environment programme, which promotes "greener" living. The heating in our office is controlled centrally. It's so hot in our office, we have to open the windows! What a waste of energy. It's not exactly giving out a positive message, is it, if the government body trying to educate people can't even get it right?
I'm sure if the press got wind of this, the funding to give you independently controlled heating would appear.:wink2: It's ridiculous that these government agencies can't even get it right.

Richard Branson and Al Gore have just offered to make a huge contribution to saving the planet ... check this out.

Branson offers prize to save planet - AOL News

That's all very well, but he'd be better offering it as a grant to scientists rather than a prize because they don't have the money to invent stuff.

i've discover Ecover cleaning solutions (washing powder/softener, floor cleaner/bathroom cleaner and even loo cleaner) in sainsbury's so i've switched to those. i try not to light my house up but this is a major gripe of mine.... why don't they make energysaving light bulbs in a normal shape or candle shape, bcoz those lightbulbs don't fit my lightfittings! i ride my bike to work, gives me a great ass whilst saving the planet!

i had a wicked idea too. they said on an eco programme that the whiteness of the icecaps actually reflect the suns heat, so its having a double effect when they melt, becuase the earth's heating up even more. so i reckon if every roof in the world was painted white would we be able to reflect the suns heat this way? maybe its a stupid idea but i reckon it would help.

Did you know the romans could grow grapes against Hadrians wall .This may just be the earths usual climate change cycle.

i try not to light my house up but this is a major gripe of mine.... why don't they make energysaving light bulbs in a normal shape or candle shape, bcoz those lightbulbs don't fit my lightfittings!

You can get energy saving light bulbs in all shapes and sizes Hun xx

Well my family are trying to make a 'small' difference. Energy saving bulbs, recycling everything. We can't afford holidays abroad so we are not adding to that problem;), and I've even stopped using the dishwater in a bid to cut my electricity and water bill, but is it worth it :?:

I agree with Gillian that unless America and China make some major changes, our small country won't make much of a difference.

This doesn't mean that I'm negative or don't care (my house will be under sea water if this continues), just not sure if this will be enough.

I do my bit at home with light bulbs, recycling etc etc
But in my eyes the worst problem is the pollution from Traffic how many families now own a car ??? How many planes grace our skies daily ??? The pollution this causes can not be doing our planet any good.

i've discover Ecover cleaning solutions (washing powder/softener, floor cleaner/bathroom cleaner and even loo cleaner) in sainsbury's so i've switched to those. We've switched to this range, it works really well.
i try not to light my house up but this is a major gripe of mine.... why don't they make energysaving light bulbs in a normal shape or candle shape, bcoz those lightbulbs don't fit my lightfittings! Check on the net, we found some unusual shaped ones that fit our lounge light.
i ride my bike to work, gives me a great ass whilst saving the planet! LMAO, my thighs were like steel when I was cycling around Cambridge daily, than my hubby told me one of the brakes was locked on! No wonder I thought it was a good workout.

i had a wicked idea too. they said on an eco programme that the whiteness of the icecaps actually reflect the suns heat, so its having a double effect when they melt, becuase the earth's heating up even more. so i reckon if every roof in the world was painted white would we be able to reflect the suns heat this way? maybe its a stupid idea but i reckon it would help.
Thanks for the updated news Noodle, it's great to keep this going.:hug:

I think we as human beings are not directly changing the climate of this planet...... I believe these things are cyclical and we are experiencing natural changes in climate.

BUT, that said I do believe there are things we can all do to become energy efficient which makes a lot of sense. Yes I recycle, shred and compost. Yes I turn all my applicances off. I haven't made the switch to energy efficient lightbulbs yet, but only because I haven't had a bulb blow in ages......

Before you all jump on my case, I do believe we should all make an effort - it makes sense. But, I also believe that the government wants an excuse to put new taxes in place and if they make us believe that we are responsible for the end of the world as we know it then we wont object....... But, just because I don't believe all that is reported doesn't mean I will behave irresponsibly.......

Jmho,

So who watched the programme ''The great global warming swindle''the other day that said it was all one big political con.Numerous well respected scientists that study climate change all agreed that its the sun that is causing the warming we account for very little of it and it has fluctuated for many years.
The ice caps melt and grow again all the time.
The worst of this with us believing it if it is true is that we are going to have to pay for all this and also the third world is not going to be allowed to develop.1/3 of the worlds population has no access to electricity at all.Why would the most powerful counties allow themselves to be overtaken by China and India,what a great way to keep them down.Until recently America would not agree now it fears the growth of the third world.
The founder of Greenpeace contributed quite heavily and his final comment was what was happening in terms of the third world was wicked.
Makes you wonder doesn't it.

So who watched the programme ''The great global warming swindle''the other day that said it was all one big political con.
Numerous well respected scientists that study climate change all agreed that its the sun that is causing the warming we account for very little of it and it has fluctuated for many years.
The ice caps melt and grow again all the time.
The worst of this with us believing it if it is true is that we are going to have to pay for all this and also the third world is not going to be allowed to develop.1/3 of the worlds population has no access to electricity at all.Why would the most powerful counties allow themselves to be overtaken by China and India,what a great way to keep them down.Until recently America would not agree now it fears the growth of the third world.
The founder of Greenpeace contributed quite heavily and his final comment was what was happening in terms of the third world was wicked.
Makes you wonder doesn't it.

Absolutely.

I watched this documentary....and found it extremely interesting and believable!!!

Global warming is now a political issue.....and has now been the cause for so many reports and studies, employing so many scientists that it seems very few are brave enough to stand up and say...Well actually CO2 emmissions have nothing to do with global warming!!!

Yes I will still recycle and I never waste any electricity anyway.

But I am not going to panic because of a hotspot on the Sun 200 years ago causing the temperatures here on Earth to go up a few degrees now.

I will be upset that I will have to pay more to fly away on my hard earned holiday though because of so called green taxes.....a tax on the working classes more like!!

Yes i too still believe that we should all be recycling and saving energy and water but if it is all a way to get more taxes off us its outrageous.

I didn't see the swindle program (had to go & see relatives) but heard about it from a friend. I do agree that the earth has cycles of temperature change, however as many of you have said we still shouldn't be chucking out carbon emissions left right and center. Again it's down to each of us doing something little (every raindrop raises the ocean), and governments worldwide to take action.
I think it's good that our country is in the forefront of energy conservation and don't think it's all about taxes.
As for taxes on flights, it's hard for us as a family of five to pay any more. However having a father in law who is an adviser for the aerospace industry about the problems of emissions ( and who can tell us about the billions of pounds of carbon that are pumped into our airspace yearly) puts things into perspective. My son now wants to be an aerospace engineer, focusing on new technology to reduce carbon emissions, and we are wholeheartedly behind him.

Yes i too still believe that we should all be recycling and saving energy and water but if it is all a way to get more taxes off us its outrageous.
I do think there's more to it than just taxes. Any major change is going to cost money, all the bins for recycling etc cost our local councils money, and this is passed on to us. We as a family are by no means flushed with cash, but I would gladly give more to ensure a safer planet for generations to come.
Yes our planet has it's own cycles of change, but it's indisputable that what we are doing is trashing it for future generations.
I'm not out to get at any one, just to try to make us all think about what we can do as individuals.:hug:

I missed but have heard about the recent documentary.

I don't know if it said anything about the hole in the ozone layer, but perchance that opens and closes as a natural thing.

The Earth has seen many many climate changes throught her lifetime.....is this just another natural climate change made political for political gain?

I still continue to do my bit and save electricity and gas and diesel etc....because that hits my pocket.

I recycle because landfill is horrid....I can't believe they only collect recycling once a month in Dublin, ours is collected once a week and that includes......glass, tin cans, newspapers, food waste, cardboard, batteries, shoes, clothes, engine oil, car batteries.

Our general rubbish that goes to landfill is collected every fortnight and they will only collect what is in the wheelie bin, any extra bags won't get collected.

With a family of 5 where our bin used to overflow when it was collected once a week, we manage fine now the new recycling regime is in place.

Edit....what channel was it on, it might be on replay?

I still continue to do my bit and save electricity and gas and diesel etc....because that hits my pocket.

I recycle because landfill is horrid....I can't believe they only collect recycling once a month in Dublin, ours is collected once a week and that includes......glass, tin cans, newspapers, food waste, cardboard, batteries, shoes, clothes, engine oil, car batteries.

Our general rubbish that goes to landfill is collected every fortnight and they will only collect what is in the wheelie bin, any extra bags won't get collected.

With a family of 5 where our bin used to overflow when it was collected once a week, we manage fine now the new recycling regime is in place.
Cathie is a great example of what I'm asking people, to just do their bit. If everybody does the little things, that will count for so much.
Energy saving light bulbs can save you around £10 a year. If everyone in the UK installed just one energy saving light bulb, the savings in CO2 emissions would fill London ’s Royal Albert Hall nearly 3,000 times.
Home | Green Energy UK
Switch To Energy Saving Lightbulbs - perhaps set a target for your home this year - Year Of Living Generously

Every little effort makes a difference, and it doesn't have to be a big lifestyle change. Although the US and China need to change their habits and the whole green thing is a big issue at the moment
Orin

I have to disagree on change Chinese people's habits, :rolleyes: been a Chinese, grown up in China, and had my primary education in China, you know what the teachers and parents say to us most through out the day??? After you wash your hands, dont forget to turn the tab off (most schools even have signs next to the sink to remind people)... But I have to admit due to the development of China, our country does 'eat' a lot of world energy, however, our government is doing everything they can to be more energy efficient.:hug:

Latest posts

Back